Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Grigson and Pagano learned this year.

ColtsHoosiersBB

1. We signed DHB knowing he couldn't catch.. We knew he was a flier with poor hands and questionable route running. And he never improved, which is why he was signed to a cheap one year deal.. No harm done.

And from the games I've seen Richardson had absolutely no blocking. He was either hit in the back field or his holes were stuffed before the point of attack.

And building a strong team within the trenches doesn't happen over night. We were 2-14 two years ago, completely rebuilding.. Grigson has been trying, but the pieces won't come over night.

I hope Pagano learned to NOT exagerate his players' abilities and then look stupid afterward.

like Richardson: "ever try to tackle this guy? he is a rolling ball of butcher knives"

or Hughes: "he's big like Haloti, he moves like Haloti"

or even Boyett: "he is a just a buzzsaw out there".

and on and on and on...

1. We signed DHB knowing he couldn't catch.. We knew he was a flier with poor hands and questionable route running. And he never improved, which is why he was signed to a cheap one year deal.. No harm done.

And from the games I've seen Richardson had absolutely no blocking. He was either hit in the back field or his holes were stuffed before the point of attack.

And building a strong team within the trenches doesn't happen over night. We were 2-14 two years ago, completely rebuilding.. Grigson has been trying, but the pieces won't come over night.

the harm with DHB was having him a starter for so long and not letting someone else prove themselves. DHB was clearly not the answer yet they get plugging him into the equation hoping it would work.

I hope Pagano learned to NOT exagerate his players' abilities and then look stupid afterward.

like Richardson: "ever try to tackle this guy? he is a rolling ball of butcher knives"

and on and on and on...

I haven't seen anyone but you be upset about that.  

1.Make sure when looking at a receiver to add that he can actually catch the ball.

2. Running backs should be quick enough to get off of the ball and hit the hole in a timely fashion.

3. Quality O and D lines cannot be overlooked for the future of this franchise.

Add your insight below.

Okay, I get it. You are not a fan of DHB. That's understandable. I just would like to see no more deja vu WR tales similar to our Pierre Garcon years where miraculous catches are made like clockwork & easy 1st down completions get dropped more frequently than they should have been. Luck needs to know the he can count on more than TY Hilton & Reggie Wayne. I think our guys can handle it this next season. We were saddled with the injury bug this year almost snake bit actually. 

I'm pulling for an AFC Championship victory next season. It's time. 

1.Make sure when looking at a receiver to add that he can actually catch the ball.

2. Running backs should be quick enough to get off of the ball and hit the hole in a timely fashion.

3. Quality O and D lines cannot be overlooked for the future of this franchise.

Add your insight below.

The only insight I'd add.....  

Nice Avatar!     I hope she's your wife or girlfriend!     :thmup:     :thmup:

The only insight I'd add.....  

Nice Avatar!     I hope she's your wife or girlfriend!     :thmup:     :thmup:

I think I finally understand what the phrase "Don't operate heavy machinery when viewing this product"/avatar actually means now NCF & coltcrean. What? Screech! Crash... lmao  :P  

the harm with DHB was having him a starter for so long and not letting someone else prove themselves. DHB was clearly not the answer yet they get plugging him into the equation hoping it would work.

Who was better at the time to start over DHB?

Rogers wasn't here yet, Whalen was on the practice squad and Brazil was suspended in the beginning of the season.

They gave him a chance and he didn't deliver.

I'm glad our young trio of young guys showed some potential though. So that's promising moving forward.

Preserve 1st round picks for the draft primarily not free agency/trade prospects. I still have faith in TR, but normally I prefer not to go after free agents & lose crucial draft picks. 

I understand why Grigs what he did with Ballard & Bradshaw down for the year. No other option. It had to be done given where INDY was at that juncture & Brown could not be expected to carry the rock exclusively alone. 

Hopefully to never use a 1st round pick on a runningback.

Okay, Bert pretty much said the same thing I did. Sorry man, SW1 isn't trying to be dense here & not give you credit. Man, I'm slow tonight.  :lol: My bad. 

Apparently, my 2 documentary film reviews on CTE & football concussions in another forum topic messed me up in the head or something. Who knows...

My apologies once again. No one is attempting to steal your thunder here. I promise you.

Who was better at the time to start over DHB?

Rogers wasn't here yet, Whalen was on the practice squad and Brazil was suspended in the beginning of the season.

I'm glad our young trio of young guys showed some potential though. So that's promising moving forward.

I'll take this a step further. I think its safe to say Colts fans want FAs to WANT to come to Indy. You think it might be a desirable thing to know that coach is going to give you every chance to prove yourself (and isn't going to send you straight to the bench if you struggle) if you come here?

I'll take this a step further. I think its safe to say Colts fans want FAs to WANT to come to Indy. You think it might be a desirable thing to know that coach is going to give you every chance to prove yourself (and isn't going to send you straight to the bench if you struggle) if you come here?

Good point schwamm. There is a fine line between encouragement & letting an athlete work through their limitations vs sitting them down permanently when the NFL lightbulb never really turns on. 

It's tough to know when to keep plugging along vs abandon a player reclamation project completely. But, that's what HC's get paid for: Making the right calls at the right time consistently. 

Good point schwamm. There is a fine line between encouragement & letting an athlete work through their limitations vs sitting them down permanently when the NFL lightbulb never really turns on.

It's tough to know when to keep plugging along vs abandon a player reclamation project completely. But, that's what HC's get paid for: Making the right calls at the right time consistently.

It's more than just that reclamation project, though. It's also about establishing a reputation to attract future talent. Pags is a players coach.

I wouldn't be on the computer if this was my wife. :D

I don't know maybe the future Mrs. Coltcrean has a very liberating attitude about her physique, appearance, & muscle tone too. Never say never. Just Kidding! 

Seriously though, we have all seen a couple walking together & said this: "How in the world did that average joe land that stunning beauty?" You could be that lucky devil man. It's rare, but it does happen once in a blue moon. 

Yes, it is probably a fleeting dream that for most of us will never come to fruition, but we common blokes have to cling to hope no matter how far fetched it may indeed truly be.  haha

And sometimes, a lucky nerd breaks through & achieves the unthinkable; the unimaginable. Too much? Yeah, you are probably right. It's still funny though...

No coltcrean, you are not a nerd, but I am though...

The DHB sign was awful, Chuck alredy know what he was getting before the season start. A Wr that can´t catch

To our style of offense we need secure guys. Wr´s that can actually move the changes constantly. Thats what West Coast is all about, dink and dunk, some shots by design down the field. I know DHB could be a great playmaker because his speed. The perfect example is the Denver game: DHB made 2 big plays, the end around and the screen pass that results in a TD, but when he was target to actually catch a legitime pass HE DIDN´T MAKE THE CATCH.

If you want a speedy guy draft one of those guys in late rounds. We did that with teddy Williams and we didn´t use him as a playmaker, thats on Pep Hamilton for sure.

We don´t need new Wide Outs in our team. Pep will run the next season with ace personnel a lot. He will stay in ace formation, our change to 21 formation with allen as a FB or he will put Fleener or Allen as a Wr and Hilton and Wayne will stay in the slot position, When we needs a 3 Wr he have 3 young guys who will try to earn a spot, thats it. We need to put all our effort in the D and maybe sign via FA a C.

Edited by Nadine
Removed Bold

Who was better at the time to start over DHB? Answer: Anyone who can run a route and catch the ball.

I am very pleased that we came out of the season with plenty of potential at WR, but they should

NEVER sign a guy with hands of stone. A fast forty time means nothing if the ball hits the turf.

agreed

Chuck said it himself "it's not a rebuild, this is a reload" watch the turning point on youtube for that bit. This season has to be the one. We need depth if we can't stay health. I'm not looking for anymore excuse if we don't win the AFC Championship this season.

I am very pleased that we came out of the season with plenty of potential at WR, but they should

NEVER sign a guy with hands of stone. A fast forty time means nothing if the ball hits the turf.

And yet, prolly better than half this forum was calling for DHB in FA last year. Speed is alluring. Hope that a system could rehab a pair of stone hands was a reach, but not crazy.

and on and on and on...

Richardson: Well to be fair he is pretty tough to tackle, that's one positive we did see. The issue was where he was getting tackled. 

Hughes: He is big, and well, he does move well for a big man. Tough to call out a Rookie DLineman who was drafted in the 5th round after one season! 

Boyett: We never got to actually see him play did we now thanks to injury and then his incident so he may well have been a buzzsaw. His college tape shows a fearless hard hitting safety. I'll be interested to see where he ends up next season, whether that be Denver or elsewhere. 

"And on and on and on", please continue.