Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade Peyton Manning? (Sign Luck?) - Mod Edit, This Is About Signing Luck.

I think it was brought up once but once again I saw that ESPN had one of their headlines tonight as Trade Peyton Manning. I don't know if it is mainly Herm Edwards that is advocating this but he's one of the outspoken ones. He says we get back to football prominence by drafting Luck if we get the chance and trading Peyton to improve in other areas. Has any other experts been advocating this? I know Dungy said we have to take Luck if we get the chance but he meant keep Peyton I think. Can anybody here really see the Colts trading away Manning if he is healthy enough that other teams would want him(pass the physical)? That would be quite a shocker but at what point do you say it's time to build for the future? Would the city be in an uproar if Peyton doesn't finish his career here?

No it will be worse than when portnoy left for starters

Portnoy? You talking about Mike? If you are that's funny because I'm a long time drummer and Portnoy is one of my biggest influences. Peart and Portnoy among too many to mention.

Edited by presto123

I say do it. Yea, I don't like it, but the more I think about it, the more I realize Andrew Luck may have to sit behind Manning for 3 years. That's way too long for a 1st overall QB, and Andrew Luck may not take to kindly to that, nor would Manning like the fact we wasted a 1st overall pick on a benched QB as opposed to helping Manning win games.

Because there are too many issues with this team to address in the short-term (coaching, defense, o-line, HB, and special teams), I'd rather see Peyton leave to shore up all our other needs and to reduce our salary cap in favor of Luck. We may be stagnant in our first year with Luck as our new talent (and hopefully new coach!) take time to adjust, but everything should pay dividends after then.

Edited by ReMeDy

I think it was brought up once but once again I saw that ESPN had one of their headlines tonight as Trade Peyton Manning. I don't know if it is mainly Herm Edwards that is advocating this but he's one of the outspoken ones. He says we get back to football prominence by drafting Luck if we get the chance and trading Peyton to improve in other areas. Has any other experts been advocating this? I know Dungy said we have to take Luck if we get the chance but he meant keep Peyton I think. Can anybody here really see the Colts trading away Manning if he is healthy enough that other teams would want him(pass the physical)? That would be quite a shocker but at what point do you say it's time to build for the future? Would the city be in an uproar if Peyton doesn't finish his career here?

Regardless of how "any" of us feel... this could be a very real scenario. Irsay and Manning are going to have a very serious talk soon. And if Peyton does have a few years left would he even want to play for "this" team? I think the answer would be NO.

So a Manning trade, "if he is healthy" I really believe will be a probability regardless of what pick the Colts have. It is painfully obvious that this team has a lot of work to do. Is Peyton willing to stick around at his age? I doubt it.

The Colts are in a win, win situation regardless. No matter which way it unfolds.

Peyton and Luck for a few years

Peyton and all the picks in a Luck trade

Peyton and the top 3 pick

Luck and all the picks or player in a Manning trade

Luck for the rest of his career after a Manning retirement.

None of these scenarios are gloom and doom. This team has a lot of work to do and any help via a trade will speed the process.

Regardless of how "any" of us feel... this could be a very real scenario. Irsay and Manning are going to have a very serious talk soon. And if Peyton does have a few years left would he even want to play for "this" team? I think the answer would be NO.

So a Manning trade, "if he is healthy" I really believe will be a probability regardless of what pick the Colts have. It is painfully obvious that this team has a lot of work to do. Is Peyton willing to stick around at his age? I doubt it.

The Colts are in a win, win situation regardless. No matter which way it unfolds.

Peyton and Luck for a few years

Peyton and all the picks in a Luck trade

Peyton and the top 3 pick

Luck and all the picks or player in a Manning trade

Luck for the rest of his career after a Manning retirement.

None of these scenarios are gloom and doom. This team has a lot of work to do and any help via a trade will speed the process.

Good post but what if Peyton can never play again AND we win a few meaningless games and lose the Luck sweepstakes. That's kind of doomy and gloomy.

Makes no sense to me.

What other players are being held up as an example? Unitas was traded because he was washed up and there was a new GM looking to clean house. Montana was traded because Young was ready and he was falling apart. Favre was traded because Rodgers was ready and he had been threatening to retire for three years. None of those examples apply here. If Peyton isn't healthy, there is no market for him, and the Colts are instantly in full rebuilding mode. If Peyton IS healthy, he the best QB in football, and the Colts are SB contenders.

Building for the future is the argument given for drafting a potential replacement regardless of Peyton's health. It is disturbing in it's own right for the built in implication that in 2-3 years there might be a QB controversy IF the young player develops exponentially while Peyton falls off a cliff. THAT would be unpleasant enough for all concerned, and frankly I find it doubtful that even a great prospect would be good enough to outperform him. Initiating such a change at this point would simply be foolish in every respect - lighting a public relations bonfire that would make Lebron James leaving Cleveland about as important a story as Carson Palmer leaving Cincinnati. I can't imagine the Colts considering it unless Peyton asks for it - and considering that he JUST resigned with the team, that would be a pretty bizarre thing for him to do.

Anyone talking about this is very likely taking it as a given both that the Colts are going to have the first pick in the draft, and that Luck is a shoe-in first ballot hall of famer. The former is far from a given - there are eight other lousy teams in the league. The later is a VERY dangerous and ironically short-sighted assumption.

Good post but what if Peyton can never play again AND we win a few meaningless games and lose the Luck sweepstakes. That's kind of doomy and gloomy.

Ok we have about a 10-15% chance of missing on Luck, Manning retires, and we don't get a top 3 pick.....

But honestly, I don't think Indy will win a game this season. The "so called stars" have already checked out..... if they even ever checked in this season. And the staff plays to "keep things close" rather than try to "win" a game.

I would bet the ranch Indy will be 0 fer.... the only question is will Miami be as bad?

Still, Barkley, or Jones may be the real deal.

Personally, I would rather take a stud OL or DL and pick Moore or Wilson later than put all my marbles in on one QB at #1.

That said, Luck really does look to be the "real deal"

Makes no sense to me.

What other players are being held up as an example? Unitas was traded because he was washed up and there was a new GM looking to clean house. Montana was traded because Young was ready and he was falling apart. Favre was traded because Rodgers was ready and he had been threatening to retire for three years. None of those examples apply here. If Peyton isn't healthy, there is no market for him, and the Colts are instantly in full rebuilding mode. If Peyton IS healthy, he the best QB in football, and the Colts are SB contenders.

Building for the future is the argument given for drafting a potential replacement regardless of Peyton's health. It is disturbing in it's own right for the built in implication that in 2-3 years there might be a QB controversy IF the young player develops exponentially while Peyton falls off a cliff. THAT would be unpleasant enough for all concerned, and frankly I find it doubtful that even a great prospect would be good enough to outperform him. Initiating such a change at this point would simply be foolish in every respect - lighting a public relations bonfire that would make Lebron James leaving Cleveland about as important a story as Carson Palmer leaving Cincinnati. I can't imagine the Colts considering it unless Peyton asks for it - and considering that he JUST resigned with the team, that would be a pretty bizarre thing for him to do.

Anyone talking about this is very likely taking it as a given both that the Colts are going to have the first pick in the draft, and that Luck is a shoe-in first ballot hall of famer. The former is far from a given - there are eight other lousy teams in the league. The later is a VERY dangerous and ironically short-sighted assumption.

Yep.... darn this franchise has turned into a "soap opera"... hhee.heel At least we won't be bored this next off season.

And as fellow vet Colt fans remember... Indy has had extensive work picking early and it makes draft day a party. As long as the pick is Manning or Faulk instead of Alberts or George.

Yep.... darn this franchise has turned into a "soap opera"... hhee.heel At least we won't be bored this next off season.

And as fellow vet Colt fans remember... Indy has had extensive work picking early and it makes draft day a party. As long as the pick is Manning or Faulk instead of Alberts or George.

Sigh. I'm not a big fan of soap operas.

Amen to your other comments. I'm already excited at the thought of next years draft - whether the Colts are 1st or 9th. And I'm pretty confident that a smart FO like ours wouldn't have touched George with a ten foot pole if he was handed to them, much less made a major trade to reach for him. It is largely bad memories of the legion of nightmares such as that that makes me cling to the Polians like a lifeline. I swear, the people that think it's easy to get a "better" GM are likely either very young, very naive, or spent so much of the bad years drinking for the pain, that they don't remember what it was like.

Edited by MAC

I say do it. Yea, I don't like it, but the more I think about it, the more I realize Andrew Luck may have to sit behind Manning for 3 years. That's way too long for a 1st overall QB, and Andrew Luck may not take to kindly to that, nor would Manning like the fact we wasted a 1st overall pick on a benched QB as opposed to helping Manning win games.

Because there are too many issues with this team to address in the short-term (coaching, defense, o-line, HB, and special teams), I'd rather see Peyton leave to shore up all our other needs and to reduce our salary cap in favor of Luck. We may be stagnant in our first year with Luck as our new talent (and hopefully new coach!) take time to adjust, but everything should pay dividends after then.

So, bet the farm on a boy named Luck? Toss Manning aside? These are some crazy sounding ideas. Personally, I think the team owes Manning bigtime and trading him would be a kick in the teeth - figuratively. Why should Peyton be ejected from the house that Manning built so people can press their luck?

So, bet the farm on a boy named Luck? Toss Manning aside? These are some crazy sounding ideas. Personally, I think the team owes Manning bigtime and trading him would be a kick in the teeth - figuratively. Why should Peyton be ejected from the house that Manning built so people can press their luck?

We owe him big time to trade him to a team that can win him another Superbowl in his last 2 years of playing. Eventually it will all come out that this is what Peyton wants, its whats best for him. We need far too much time to rebuild for him to compete.