Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Willie Young

A guy going under the radar is Detriot DE Willie Young. He had a strong start to the season in terms of pass rush, but faltered in that area down the stretch. Overall he's solid against both the pass and run.

He's 6'4" and around 250 lbs, so I think that he would be fine as a Rush LB in our defense. He shouldn't cost as much as guy like Orakpo or Anthony Spencer. 

I think Willie would be fine in INDY though under better leadership. Yes, I am indicting Jim Schwartz's poor direction under his watch. Talent is talent & Mr. Young can play. No doubt about that. 

I don't monitor contract situations among players at all, but if Jim Caldwell retains him Willie will flourish & shine in the Motor City. I was tough on Jim Caldwell in 2009, but I'm trying to give Jim a 2nd chance to succeed as HC. If Pete Carroll can re-emerge from NE & win a  :lombardi: with Seattle than I have to give Jim a fair shot in Detroit. I owe him that. 

A guy going under the radar is Detriot DE Willie Young. He had a strong start to the season in terms of pass rush, but faltered in that area down the stretch. Overall he's solid against both the pass and run.

He's 6'4" and around 250 lbs, so I think that he would be fine as a Rush LB in our defense. He shouldn't cost as much as guy like Orakpo or Anthony Spencer. 

Rush linebacker.....    isn't that where Mathis plays?    

How many snaps will Young get?    And how much are you prepared to spend to get him if you view him as Mathis' eventual replacement?

One plays a different position and is asked to do different things on the field. 

Yeah, but if you ask that guy to play a different position and do different things, then what's the difference?

When the Ravens signed Dumervil and moved him to LB, he because a LB and took on different responsiblities. The Broncos moved Shaun Phillips to DE, and he took on different responsibilities. Mario Williams, DE to LB. And there's a couple dozen guys every year who get drafted and moved from DE to LB, or vice versa, many with much success. Aldon Smith, Whitney Mercilus, Jason Worilds, etc. 

So again, what's the difference? 

I like that length.

Manning, Andrew had situations in the Playoff games where those long arms were up in front of them, forcing a higher ball to come out a number of times causing problems.

The idea a guy 5'10" plays like someone 6'2" just dose not sell with me. Give me the athlete, and give me the length.