Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I am playing a mock draft as Colts GM on a Broncos board

This is an annual thing that they do on the Broncos board, I was co-GM for the Colts draft last year and this year that GM relinquished it full time and gave the GM position to me :).

In this draft, you are allowed draft pick trades, and player trades.

Give me some suggestions here. Is Reggie Wayne untouchable? Yep, you get my drift. I need some good ideas to swing some player trades with/without draft picks added.

I'd trade down to pick up more picks.

Out of curiosity, how does FA work? Do they do a blind auction or something?

They chose to not do free agency this time, all free agents will be locked and return to their previous team.

But draft day trades of RFAs and players under contract are possible, one example is:

Detroit Lions receive:

RB Vick Ballard

Indianapolis Colts receive:

7th round draft pick (### overall)

or something along those lines that you mix and match.

They chose to not do free agency this time, all free agents will be locked and return to their previous team.

But draft day trades of RFAs and players under contract are possible, one example is:

Detroit Lions receive:

RB Vick Ballard

Indianapolis Colts receive:

7th round draft pick (### overall)

or something along those lines that you mix and match.

Okay, so it's all drafting. I don't know why I didn't pick that up at first.

Couldn't particularly give you any tips apart from trade down in the 2nd. Thats what i'd do, to get more picks.

Also could you put the link to the thread on here? I would be quite interested in seeing the end product.

It might be against forum rules. The draft is about 2 weeks away, so I will let the mods opine by then.

I got a trade proposal for Donald Thomas from the Cowboys GM. I told them 4th rounder if they don't take the entire contract, 5th rounder if they take the entire contract. Lets see what happens.

Hmm......So if the GM takes it then watcha gonna do at LG?

I got an extra 5th round pick from the Cowboys GM for Donald Thomas unloading the contract on to the Cowboys (pick #146).

I am trying to swing a trade for Kelvin Sheppard and our current 5th rounder for Perry Riley Jr. from the Redskins who is a very good coverage ILB. Not sure if that GM will go for it since he is supposed to be the heir apparent and QB of defense after London Fletcher retires, which they expect will be this offseason.

I got an extra 5th round pick from the Cowboys GM for Donald Thomas unloading the contract on to the Cowboys (pick #146).

I am trying to swing a trade for Kelvin Sheppard and our current 5th rounder for Perry Riley Jr. from the Redskins who is a very good coverage ILB. Not sure if that GM will go for it since he is supposed to be the heir apparent and QB of defense after London Fletcher retires, which they expect will be this offseason.

Deal is done, I got Perry Riley Jr. :)

Would have rather kept Donald Thomas

He is, which makes the deal rather silly

There is no dealing free agents, I wasn't aware he was a free agent, I thought he was on a 5 yr. contract but he was a 4th round pick which made it a 4 yr. contract, oops!!! I must have been thinking of Ryan Kerrigan regarding contract duration.

I thought riley was a free agent?

Just confirmed with the commish that their rules are that free agents return to their team, its like all free agents are franchise tagged or tendered by the original team.

Signing free agents got pretty confusing last year, so they decided not to do it this year. So, free agents technically still belong to the original team and can be traded or retained, just for the sake of this GM game.

So, I did in fact get Perry Riley Jr. in the trade.

I don't really care for your move of trading Thomas, but consider Chris Watt from Notre Dame in the 5th round.

The NE Pats GM is willing to involve Ryan Wendell, C and/or Dan Connolly, OG of the Patriots in a trade for Vontae Davis.

The question is, do I even consider it? I am leaning towards a no because of Davis' age and importance to the Colts.

I'm thinking of putting in a trade offer for Brandon Fusco of the Vikings, a very good OG and see if I can pull it off with the 5th rounder I got from the Cowboys for Donald Thomas or the Colts 6th round pick.

Any other thoughts??? All thoughts are welcome. :)

The NE Pats GM is willing to involve Ryan Wendell, C and/or Dan Connolly, OG of the Patriots in a trade for Vontae Davis.

The question is, do I even consider it? I am leaning towards a no because of Davis' age and importance to the Colts.

I'm thinking of putting in a trade offer for Brandon Fusco of the Vikings, a very good OG and see if I can pull it off with the 5th rounder I got from the Cowboys for Donald Thomas or the Colts 6th round pick.

I wouldn't trade Davis. Doesn't sound like you have to worry about your cap, it's all about the strength of your draft, right? I don't see the upside in trading Davis, and I don't really see why the Pats GM is trying to get him. Unless they traded Talib already, or plan to do so.

I wouldn't trade Davis. Doesn't sound like you have to worry about your cap, it's all about the strength of your draft, right? I don't see the upside in trading Davis, and I don't really see why the Pats GM is trying to get him. Unless they traded Talib already, or plan to do so.

Yeah, I don't understand the Pats' GM move either. But then, he cannot disclose any trades till February 17th.

Btw, my trade for Donald Thomas fell through because the Cowboys GM applied for the Broncos' GM position (which is obviously popular on a Broncos board) and got it. Thus, by virtue of technicality, I will have to re-negotiate with the new Cowboys GM all over again since trades with the old GM are null and void.

Maybe, it was meant to be that Donald Thomas was meant to be a Colt, lol :). So I keep Donald Thomas and get Perry Riley Jr., not bad in the long scheme of things :). My first year as sole GM is going interesting.

Wendell is a free agent!

Wendell is a free agent!

Yeah, it is the rules of this GM game. I am just playing along on this Broncos board.

Free agents are not allowed to walk, period, and are property of the original team since it was difficult to manage a game on that board where GMs exchanged free agents based on last year's experience with this GM game. So, all free agents are retained by original team to trade or retain this year.

That is how I got Perry Riley Jr., and that is how the Pats GM is even talking about dealing Ryan Wendell.

So far, to summarize my moves as a Colts GM so far in this game:

Donald Thomas has not been traded, he is still on the Colts :).

I got Perry Riley Jr. in exchange for Kelvin Sheppard and a 5th round pick.

I got Willie Colon from the Jets for a 6th round pick.

I am trying to trade #59 for #70 and #110 with the Jags thus giving us an early 3rd and 2 4th rounders. Lets hope it works.

Donald Thomas has not been traded, he is still on the Colts :).

I got Perry Riley Jr. in exchange for Kelvin Sheppard and a 5th round pick.

I got Willie Colon from the Jets for a 6th round pick.

I am trying to trade #59 for #70 and #110 with the Jags thus giving us an early 3rd and 2 4th rounders. Lets hope it works.

Colon is a FA too

Update:

I got Perry Riley Jr. in exchange for Kelvin Sheppard and the Colts' 5th round pick (#154)

I got Willie Colon from the Jets for the Colts 6th round pick (#187)

I traded Antoine Bethea for the Chiefs' 4th round pick (#120)

So, the Colts currently have a 2,3,4 and 7 in this mock GM game and acquired Perry Riley Jr. and Willie Colon and let go of Bethea.

Note: Free agents go back to their original team in this game and can be traded/retained

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I got Perry Riley Jr. in exchange for Kelvin Sheppard and the Colts' 5th round pick (#154)

I got Willie Colon from the Jets for the Colts 6th round pick (#187)

I traded Antoine Bethea for the Chiefs' 4th round pick (#120)

I traded Dwayne Allen for the Cardinals' 5th round pick (#150)

So, the Colts currently have a 2,3,4,5 and 7 in this mock GM game and acquired Perry Riley Jr. and Willie Colon and let go of Bethea and Dwayne Allen.

Note: Free agents go back to their original team in this game and can be traded/retained