Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hypothetical question, if I told you at this point that Luck would make it to 3 SBs and win 1 in the next 10 years, will you take it?

chad72

Will 1 SB win in the next 10 years make you happy?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. If we make it to 3 SBs and win 1 in the next 10 years, will you be happy?

• Yes, as long as Colts win a playoff game 2 out of 3 times across playoff runs
    • Yes, regardless of what Luck's playoff record is
    • No

The basis of my hypothetical question is "if there was no alternative and this is how things played out, would you be able to accept it?". I clearly understand expectations are higher in the Luck era for SB wins but I wanted to gauge the pulse of the fan base to see if things played out that way, would it be fine with them? About two-thirds are fine with it, one-third is not, that is what I am gathering so far :). Some chose to explain it, some did not, either way is fine with me. At least both sides of the coin are finding out where expectation levels reside, though this is confined to a much smaller scale of Colts fans.

lol, if there is no alternative surely we have no choice but to accept it.

Plus the whole premise is completely against the normal mindset of fans. If we were asked to accept these terms now, why would we bother watching? At the end of every season, our brains, along with our expectations, recalculate. People often exceed or fail to live up to expectations... but the variables that exist are the reason we watch... things cannot be as clear cut as 'Would you take 1 SB in 10 years?'

Hindsight and foresight cannot be interchanged like that.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, if there is no alternative surely we have no choice but to accept it.

Plus the whole premise is completely against the normal mindset of fans. If we were asked to accept these terms now, why would we bother watching? At the end of every season, our brains, along with our expectations, recalculate. People often exceed or fail to live up to expectations... but the variables that exist are the reason we watch... things cannot be as clear cut as 'Would you take 1 SB in 10 years?'

Hindsight and foresight cannot be interchanged like that.

Accepting the terms should probably be paraphrased as "can you live with it"? It is not set in stone by any means, that is why it is hypothetical. If it just plays out that way, regardless of how high the expectations are, would that be a result you can live with? Make sense???

It does not keep you from watching with higher expectations, neither does it pre-define what will definitely happen with certainty. So, its up to the fan entirely to play along with this "what if".

Accepting the terms should probably be paraphrased as "can you live with it"? It is not set in stone by any means, that is why it is hypothetical. If it just plays out that way, regardless of how high the expectations are, would that be a result you can live with? Make sense???

It does not keep you from watching with higher expectations, neither does it pre-define what will definitely happen with certainty. So, its up to the fan entirely to play along with this "what if".

Too many variables exist to even begin to answer this, and the majority have them have nothing to do with Andrew Luck.

As I said, expectations are recalculated season (and often game) at a time.

A lot of you guys really don't know your football.

He is 33 years old, has 2 Superbowl MVPs, 35,000+ yards, and 229 TDs.  

He is currently 19th on all the all time passing leaders and within the next two seasons will likely pass such legends as Johnny Unitas and Joe Montana.  

If he plays 5 more seasons at his average pace, putting him at age 38(he could play longer!), he will have:

52,500 yards- This would put him #4 All time Only Peyton, Favre, and Marino are better

346 TDs-  # 6 All time

You guys are clueless.

Too many interceptions.  It's as simple as that. 

three superbowls with one chainmpionship in ten years is a good decade

One Super Bowl win in ten years is a good decade. The Colts may never get there. They have lots of holes to fill. They play in a very weak division so they will likely be in the playoffs most years but they will be one and done in a lot of those too.

Which would you prefer over the next ten years?

A. One Super Bowl appearance, and one Lombardi Trophy.

B. Five Super Bowl appearances, zero Lombardi Trophies.

Winning one Super Bowl is great. Getting to five in ten years even if you don't win one is unbelievable in this age of no dynasties. I would take the five, that is an awful lot of winning.

No.... I'd rather miss it than go to it and lose. I'm glad were not the Broncos.

They are just as happy to not be the Colts and get blown out by the Patriots and never get to the dance. You may get your wish and the Colts may go another 30 years without getting to the Super Bowl but that would surely be better than risking getting there and not winning it.  ;)

They are just as happy to not be the Colts and get blown out by the Patriots and never get to the dance. You may get your wish and the Colts may go another 30 years without getting to the Super Bowl but that would surely be better than risking getting there and not winning it.  ;)

That's ok,  I enjoy just watching my Colts play football since 1958 if we get there I'll take it, (it's nice)  if not I'll take that to. My thing is I love my Colts since 1958 but I have more important things in life to think about in the end if you know what I mean? And I really believe if we get there next time we will win!! But again i'm glad I'm not the Broncos that was awful....   

That's ok,  I enjoy just watching my Colts play football since 1958 if we get there I'll take it, (it's nice)  if not I'll take that to. My thing is I love my Colts since 1958 but I have more important things in life to think about in the end if you know what I mean? And I really believe if we get there next time we will win!! But again i'm glad I'm not the Broncos that was awful....   

It certainly was.... Game was over after the first Bronco snap...

You could ask yourself it differently too. Would you rather lose 3 Super Bowls or win 1? We all would rather win 1.

Lets face it, losing the Super Bowl STINKS. It hurts, especially if you are a favorite. I think you have to take into account expectations though. If you are a surprise Super Bowl team like the Cardinals of 2008 and played an awesome game you may get over it better. But, I would never want to experience with the Colts what the Broncos just did a few nights ago. I mean God I felt the Saints loss was bad and I made peace with it.

I guess we will see next year whether or not I feel like this team can win it all, it will either come to us or not sometime during the season.  We beat the two best teams in the NFC last year so I do have hope when healthy enough we can take on anyone.

If the Manning years taught me anything it was NEVER be upset when your team wins a Super Bowl because there is no promise you'll ever win another one.  I know over the years people complained about the fact that we ONLY got one with Manning.  I on the other hand just choose to enjoy the one they did get with him because despite what some over here feel winning one is hard.  I just enjoyed the fact I got see my team on top of the mountain at least once.  Sure I wish it would have been more but I would never let it take away from the one we did get by going man I wish we had gotten more.  Super Bowls are earned they aren't the entitlements some here seem to think they are.