Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Worst Case Scenario Regarding Texans

I realize it is early, but since all sorts of trade winds seem to be blowing, it seemed to be worth considering what would be the worst case scenario regarding the Texans draft.

Personally, I would hate seeing either the Texans or Jaguars end up with Jadaveon Clowney.

I think the worst case scenario, however, would be the Texans trading back with the Browns for the #4 and #26 pick.

As of now, I see the Browns going QB at #1 (perhaps Manziel), I see the Rams looking hard at either Sammy Watkins or Jake Matthews at #2, and the Jaguars looking QB at #4 (likely Bortles or Brigewater).

Thus, the Texans trading back and still getting Clowney would be terrible. They have 3 of the top 33 picks in the draft. They could look at drafting the following:

#4 : Jadaveon Clowney

#26: Jason Verrett CB TCU

#33: Calvin Pryor FS Louisville

#65: Charles Sims RB West Virginia

#97: Jared Abbrederis WR Wisconsin

#129: Zach Mettenberger QB LSU

Adding Clowney with Watt is a scary proposition. Adding Pryor and Verrett to their shaky secondary makes their defense one of the best in the league. It makes their pass rush that much scarier. Given the injury history of Foster and the likely loss of Tate makes the addition of Sims necessary. Sims may not last until the 3rd round, but I would expect the Texans to pounce if he does. Abbrederis could be a great slot receiver to pair with Johnson and Hopkins. Mettenberger is going to need a year off to heal and rehab which I feel will lead to him dropping down some draft boards. He represents good value with the first pick of the 5th round.

Very nice, and very thoughtful post.

And I'd add this.......

There's a lot more talent on the Texans roster than some here want to believe.

Houston lost their QB and had no one to replace Schaub.   And Houston lost their running back and the guys who replaced Foster also got banged up....   

That's what happens when your offense has no QB and no RB.   

You SUCK!!

I expect the Texans to cut both Schaub and Foster and start from scratch.

And, boy, I'd LOVE to be the fly on the wall in their personnel meetings!    Which QB do they like?   Do they think ANY of them can lead them back to the playoffs?     I think the '14 class of QB's is better than the '13 class,  but I'm not dazzled by any of them so far.

I think the off-season is a fascinating time of year.....   and this is just one example why!

Fun times ahead!

The worst case scenario would be if they obtain their first franchise QB - period.

The Colts survived the Mario Williams era without too much trouble. Can you imagine how much more "interesting" it would have been if they had gotten - for example - Aaron Rodgers?

I think they will take Manziel myself. What good would it do for them to draft Clowney and still have no QB? If Johnny Football pans out (I question if he will myself) They could be a really good team next year. Personally I would rather them draft anyone except a QB.

I would absolutely love if they drafted Clowney. Not only would they not get a franchise qb, they would also get a player with a ton of issues that SCREAMS bust! Watt and Clowney seem scary, but Clowney is a player that lacks motivation, takes off plays, sometimes doesn't want to play games (kentucky game) and just has a bunch of issues period. Clowney is the best case scenario for us. 

The Worst Case Scenario is Blake Bortles. This guy is an unpolished Andrew Luck with similar skills and an extremely high Ceiling. He may be raw now, but if he's put on a decent team, he'll completely dominate the NFL in due time. I pray they take Clowney.

I think they will take Manziel myself. What good would it do for them to draft Clowney and still have no QB? If Johnny Football pans out (I question if he will myself) They could be a really good team next year. Personally I would rather them draft anyone except a QB.

What good does it do to draft Manziel if he's not going to pan out? I don't think I'd take him with a high first round pick, personally.

The worst case scenario would be if they obtain their first franchise QB - period.

The Colts survived the Mario Williams era without too much trouble. Can you imagine how much more "interesting" it would have been if they had gotten - for example - Aaron Rodgers?

Exactly, it doesn't matter what kind of players they have on defense, if they don't have a good QB they will never be competitive.  However, I would say pulling off a trade with the Browns would certainly be possible and would still leave them in a good position to get a franchise QB. 

This whole thing with the Browns and Manziel, if it wasn't the Browns I would say it's just a smoke screen.  They are too in love with him too early in the game they sound ready to mortgage the franchise on a player with questionable maturity.  But it is the Browns so it would not at all surprise me if they did something like that.