Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We need a true FS

BProland85

In other words, we need a younger Bethea. Bethea, when he was in his early years, his recovery skills were awesome. He started playing the box safety starting with Larry Coyer more, with guys like Bullitt and Francisco backing us up for a while and that resulted in more tackling opportunities and tackles along the way.

I am still not 100% sure if Bethea's INT and passes defensed numbers being a bit down have been due to scheme or him arriving late on more pass plays.

I had hoped we would have taken a safety in the 1st round last year. I thought it was a more pressing need then linebacker since we already had Mathis resigned and had picked up Walden. Bethea's contract was coming up due and picking up a younger cheaper safety in the draft would have made sense.

Bethea had some good years in his youth, I think we won the SB his rookie year as a started and also had a good year in the Saints SB lost year.  He had a better year in 2013 as compared to 2012 when I think was his worse, not factoring the 2011 non-Manning year. Still 2013 was little up and down, he did make some good plays but gave up more then I'd like to see.  Wear and tear may be taking its toll on him to.  We may need to go a different direction and let Bethea test the free agent waters.  Landry to me was a overall disappointment.  Elite body with making use of it.  Did make some good run stops and hits, but also had some misses, taking bad angles.  He got Punked by Blount on National TV and that at this point is what most will remember about him.  His pass defense instincts seems a little lacking as an elite body can only help so much here.  I think we are committed to him for a few more years with his contract so hopefully he get his on straight and focus on improvement as he is in his prime and he can make a positive impact for the Colts.  We need him for us to succeed among other things and obviously, that last game gives him the motivation to go out there be the enforcer we expected of him/

When Bethea had a reliable SS (Bob or Melvin Bullitt), I thought he played well. He didn't have to worry about helping the other safety with run support, so he would be free to roam and follow the QB's eyes. I think he's an underrated player, but a lot of people weren't happy with his play this past season.

While I agree with this sentiment, I think the issue is those rangy skills have deteriorated a little bit. And I think the main reason they have is the attempt to turn Bethea into Bob. Not necessarily Manusky but Coyer and the one before (can't remember his name) kept putting Bethea at the line and making him a thumper... While he did ok at it I really felt that his roaming ability and field awareness was borderline elite. If we would have just let him constantly play it instead of trying to make him Bob Sanders 2 we may have had our own Ed Reed back there...

Just my opinion :-)

While I agree with this sentiment, I think the issue is those rangy skills have deteriorated a little bit. And I think the main reason they have is the attempt to turn Bethea into Bob. Not necessarily Manusky but Coyer and the one before (can't remember his name) kept putting Bethea at the line and making him a thumper... While he did ok at it I really felt that his roaming ability and field awareness was borderline elite. If we would have just let him constantly play it instead of trying to make him Bob Sanders 2 we may have had our own Ed Reed back there...

Just my opinion :-)

I believe you mean Ron Meeks

I believe you mean Ron Meeks

There you go!   Sorry I probably suppressed the name from my memory in an attempt to forget that god awful scheme and watching teams score at will in the 4th quarter...

I've got issues... and really should seek counseling...

I want someone experienced to start now and a rookie in the back up learning. Safety is a huge role and rookie mistakes can ruin the game. Bethea and Landry are great but inconsistent

How are they great if they are inconsistent? Wouldn't that be definition make them not great?

Unless it's a guy like Clinton Dix, I don't think the Colts should replace Bethea with a rookie.

If they should replace him, it should be with an established player in the league.

Why? It happens all the time.

1) A rookie is not necessarily a worse player.

2) An established guy will certainly cost more