Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Best and worst salary cap situations:

bap1331

So the funny thing is that the best salary cap situation is probably the worst being that the Raiders have 80 million in salary cap. LOL!

1. (64 million) Could you imagine what this team would do with $64 million? Hec worse, what if Al Davis was still alive? (No offense... RIP Al)

-Okay so I could see them giving Janikowski a $100 million dollar contract making him the highest paid kicker ever. (Sarcasm)

-Colts let go of DHB and Raiders sign him to a $60 million dollar contract. With 20 million in bonus guaranteed...

-better yet! They trade for Michael Vick. Sounds more realistic... I don't see the Raiders having patience in developing a young QB. They've got Peyton Manning in their division.

But let's be serious. Reggie McKenzie used to work for the Packers. And it took him 2 years to clear up for this cap space. I could see this team as a serious contender with the right personnel.

2. Jaguars. (54 million)They know how to pick up talent. We've seen what MJD and Blackmon can do. Pick up a good QB in the draft and they have a dangerous team years from now...

3. Browns- (46 million)Nothing to see here. No matter what they do. This team is cursed. Next team...

4. Bears-(42 million)Cutler had got potential. He just needs to listen to Zac Efron and get his head in the game! Lol. This team is serious if Cutler can be clutch. Especially if they pick up free agents.

5. Colts- (31 million) I'm only thinking of bringing Vontae, McAfee, and Vinatieri back. Everyone else is free to go. Bring in some clutch players and the dynasty is here to stay under the Luck era.

What do you think?

I still think we give Bethea another contract. If anything, he'll finish his career as a Colt. Rick Volk was good too, but Bethea is probably the best safety we've had.

There are other choices probably better. Be thea let so many points go by in the 2 playoff games. Not saying it's his fault because it was mostly the corner backs. But he's supposed to be our safety net. Who's in the 2014 free agent list?

• 2 weeks later...

Denver has some big names to resign but cutting Bailey gives them 10 million in cap space...plus with Julius Thomas coming on and having Virgil Green...Tamme is 3 million not needed and Dreeson is another 2.5 million not needed. Thats 15 million in cap savings on top of the 17 million they already have giving them 32 million as much as us.....they will still be able to add a few veterens at discount to play for a SB like NE has always been able to do and then resign Decker and probably extend Miller and Thomas next year. They have a small window and you know they are going to go for broke with Peyton.

I still like our situtation...we have a playoff team with a lot of space and young contracts. Here is the cap situation for each team.

http://overthecap.com/2014-salary-cap-space-update-jan-22/

and here are a list of possible cap casualties that teams will likely or some perhaps just possibly make to get to a more cap friendly position.

http://overthecap.com/potential-2014-salary-cap-cuts/

Denver has some big names to resign but cutting Bailey gives them 10 million in cap space...plus with Julius Thomas coming on and having Virgil Green...Tamme is 3 million not needed and Dreeson is another 2.5 million not needed. Thats 15 million in cap savings on top of the 17 million they already have giving them 32 million as much as us.....they will still be able to add a few veterens at discount to play for a SB like NE has always been able to do and then resign Decker and probably extend Miller and Thomas next year. They have a small window and you know they are going to go for broke with Peyton.

I still like our situtation...we have a playoff team with a lot of space and young contracts. Here is the cap situation for each team.

and here are a list of possible cap casualties that teams will likely or some perhaps just possibly make to get to a more cap friendly position.

They need to stick with either Dressen or Tamme, but they don't need both.  Although I suppose they could consider cutting both if they decided to draft a TE highly.  

But they need someone who can be a reliable TE#2.

I'm surprised that they mentioned Toler but didn't mention Satele.  I'm actually in the minority that wants to get someone better and cut Toler, but that having been said Satele needs to be cut more then Toler does.  

I don't expect Toler to be cut, but if Satele isn't cut I'm going to be seriously disappointed.

So you're just going to dismiss the Browns as cursed. So that means they won't sign guys in Free Agency?

Pettine coached for the Bills - Jarious Byrd could be a target. 

Re-sign Mack

Re-sign Ward??

I'd like to see us get Jame Jones or Jacoby Jones as a #3 WR/Kick returner. 

Wouldn't be against signing Richie Incognito if he is available. We need some sort of guard...

Plus 5 draft picks in the top 100. 

So you're just going to dismiss the Browns as cursed. So that means they won't sign guys in Free Agency?

Re-sign Mack

Re-sign Ward??

Wouldn't be against signing Richie Incognito if he is available. We need some sort of guard...

Not that they are cursed.....But until they get a pro caliber QB(and those dont come out every year as the Browns have been finding out for years now), and I only see 1 in Bridgewater this year...Thats even a bit iffy to me......MAYBE Bortles but after watching him in the Bowl game Im not so sure) and some more quality weapons other then Josh Gordon then they will struggle to move the ball rendering that solid defense useless because the offense cant consistently put points on the board (Not to mention spending a 1st round pick on non game changing rb....yes I know we basically did that to now....I hated it then and hate it now

Good stuff DG...thanks.  Did I miss Satele on that list?  I saw Toler.

They need to stick with either Dressen or Tamme, but they don't need both.  Although I suppose they could consider cutting both if they decided to draft a TE highly.  

But they need someone who can be a reliable TE#2.

I'm surprised that they mentioned Toler but didn't mention Satele.  I'm actually in the minority that wants to get someone better and cut Toler, but that having been said Satele needs to be cut more then Toler does.  

I don't expect Toler to be cut, but if Satele isn't cut I'm going to be seriously disappointed.

They have Virgil Green who has passed both on the depth chart...especially in run formations....they don't need either...did you see Green's run against NE when he lined up in the back field...pretty nifty.

I agree about Satele...I imagine they must believe our OL can't afford to lose anyone..even if we are upgrading may keep him for depth. I don't think it was an extensive list by any stretch of the imagination...but we are in such good cap shape they probably only pointed out Toler because he is well over paid for a starting CB that isn't playing....Satele is getting typical starter money...but perhaps we just are a little over the top with our disdain for him....he gets lost in that terrible middle of our OL...perhaps others think it is our Guard issues and not him as well...idk.

Re-sign Mack

Re-sign Ward??

Green Bay has a healthy cap situation...I don't think they will let Jones get away...but he may not be a priority for the...Jacoby is a possibility....I never understand Cleveland...they are like Detroit with so much young talent but not able to realize it. Obviously a QB is a big deal in that division...they passed on both Dalton and Rothlisburger and Baltimore has Flacco...and all those defenses are pretty tough...they really are a good team if they had some consistant points....let the defense rest...build confidence...winning breeds winning...but they just aren't consistant at the qb positiion.

They have Virgil Green who has passed both on the depth chart...especially in run formations....they don't need either...did you see Green's run against NE when he lined up in the back field...pretty nifty.

I agree about Satele...I imagine they must believe our OL can't afford to lose anyone..even if we are upgrading may keep him for depth. I don't think it was an extensive list by any stretch of the imagination...but we are in such good cap shape they probably only pointed out Toler because he is well over paid for a starting CB that isn't playing....Satele is getting typical starter money...but perhaps we just are a little over the top with our disdain for him....he gets lost in that terrible middle of our OL...perhaps others think it is our Guard issues and not him as well...idk.

No, you don't pay a guy $5 million for depth.  

1) Reggie McKenzie will turn the Raiders around. I think they'll be good again in a few years. They are just now getting out of those whack contracts the Al set up. 

2) I'm not sure Jacksonville's owner (Mario) won't sell the team still. 

3) The Browns, well they are the Browns. The owner, GM, and coaches aren't on the same page. Ever. 

4) Crybaby Cutler is a joke. I'm not sure what the Bears were thinking signing him to that crazy deal. 

5) Grigson needs to knock this draft out of the park, and use our cap money on FA very wisely.