Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

In house fixes on Offense -- Health might make our offseason easier than anticipated.

ColtsFanMikeC

TY has been great -- and DaRick, Brazzill, and Whalen have all showed flashes and have been solid towards the end of the season.  Keep in mind, it was DaRick's rookie year and only the 2nd year for the other 3 --- their continued development, plus the addition of a healthy Reggie Wayne should leave us sitting pretty here.  In fact, we may have one of the best WR corps in the league especially when you consider:

Coby Fleener had a few 'downs' this season, but I'd say he had far more ups and developed very nicely in year 2 -- if Allen comes back healthy, we should have one of the best TE duos in the league (I really liked what I saw out of our other TE's this season, too -- and they are also very young).  I think Allen and Wayne coming back should make a world of difference to all of our other WRs.

I thought Thornton was OK this year -- hopefully the injury vs the pats is nothing serious and he improves next year -- if so, that should improve our play at one of the guard spots.  Then with Thomas coming back, that could improve the other guard spot. There is really no verdict about Holmes since we haven't seen a whole lot of him this year -- I am not sold that he is our answer at C, but I could be wrong.  Regardless, I would still like us to get a C and a G to come in and challenge the current members of our roster.  I'm fine with McGlynn sticking around as a back-up, but really hope we get rid of Satele.

I think we are going to be set with T-Rich and Ballard at RB -- I hope we bring Donald back, but not counting on it -- either way, I was impressed with what I saw from Herron and Rainey and I think we'd be fine with either of them, Choice, or someone else as our 3rd RB.  Keep in mind, our Rbs should benefit from a better passing game and an improved line.

I am normally not a big fan of the FB, but doubt that Pep will take it out of our system -- I think Havili is fine there but wouldn't mind seeing if Weslye Saunders or Jack Doyle could challenge for that spot.

Obviously, we are set at QB.

I think we are fine at LT and RT, too.  I sort of liked Nixon at guard for a few weeks, but not sure he is the answer either.  Anyway, I think the interior OL is the biggest need for fixing on the whole team, especially on offense.   However, if D. Thomas looks to be fully healthy, and if the staff is confident that Thornton is developing we may be OK at G.

The verdict is still out on Holmes -- coaches might really like him and be confident that he can come in and do a very good job next year, or he may have not shown anything to have given them this hope.

Regardless, I think we need to cut Satele and bring in at least 1 player at G and C to challenge for these spots.

offense line is better at lt and rt , its center and rg worst in nfl go Google 2014 free agency . are starting right guard and center are worst.

In NO WAY are we 'set' with Trent Richardson as one of our main RBs...not by a long shot.

You may be right - but I think we'll be going into the season with TR as our #1 or #2 -- I still have hope that he can improve, especially with an improved line.  If he doesn't improve, then we are going to really regret that trade - but I cannot see us shopping too hard for RBs this offseason if it looks like Ballard is set to come back healthy, other than maybe making a push to keep Donald Brown.

TY has been great -- and DaRick, Brazzill, and Whalen have all showed flashes and have been solid towards the end of the season.  Keep in mind, it was DaRick's rookie year and only the 2nd year for the other 3 --- their continued development, plus the addition of a healthy Reggie Wayne should leave us sitting pretty here.  In fact, we may have one of the best WR corps in the league especially when you consider:

Coby Fleener had a few 'downs' this season, but I'd say he had far more ups and developed very nicely in year 2 -- if Allen comes back healthy, we should have one of the best TE duos in the league (I really liked what I saw out of our other TE's this season, too -- and they are also very young).  I think Allen and Wayne coming back should make a world of difference to all of our other WRs.

I thought Thornton was OK this year -- hopefully the injury vs the pats is nothing serious and he improves next year -- if so, that should improve our play at one of the guard spots.  Then with Thomas coming back, that could improve the other guard spot. There is really no verdict about Holmes since we haven't seen a whole lot of him this year -- I am not sold that he is our answer at C, but I could be wrong.  Regardless, I would still like us to get a C and a G to come in and challenge the current members of our roster.  I'm fine with McGlynn sticking around as a back-up, but really hope we get rid of Satele.

I think we are going to be set with T-Rich and Ballard at RB -- I hope we bring Donald back, but not counting on it -- either way, I was impressed with what I saw from Herron and Rainey and I think we'd be fine with either of them, Choice, or someone else as our 3rd RB.  Keep in mind, our Rbs should benefit from a better passing game and an improved line.

I am normally not a big fan of the FB, but doubt that Pep will take it out of our system -- I think Havili is fine there but wouldn't mind seeing if Weslye Saunders or Jack Doyle could challenge for that spot.

Obviously, we are set at QB.

You nailed it.

Dallas Clark had more catches and more yards than what FleenR had this year,

3 times in his career.

That with a QB that did his checkdowns and found the open receiver and threw very accurately.

FleenR had the 6th highest pass blocking rating for all TE`s with one fail in 40 attempts. Over 98%

Nailed it again.

Thornton had a PFF rating of -15. not far behind McGlynn`s -23, which was very close to the worst in the NFL.

Love his athleticism but we couldn`t run behind him, he was ineffective pulling, and couldn`t block a stunt to save his... QB.

Here is hoping he is Much better in year two. No reason he won`t be IMO. He needs to pump a lot of Iron and study study study.

McGlynn is awful.  Not that i don`t like the Guy! He can`t play guard and his replacement can be a backup Center. So can Thomas.

Why Anyone but his Family would want him on our team is inexplicable. Griggs and Pagano stuck it to the team BIGTIME!

TRich got a great outside block yesterday and for no reason but stupidity hesitated and got blown up. THAT slow running, poor thinking guy was most likely a Huge MISTAKE for a 1st rounder. Lots of people said it when he was at Cleveland!! We saw NOTHING to disprove it. If he doesn`t lose 10-15 lbs and run faster, this is what he is. JMO

Other than this, i believe you are spot on. Go Colts!

With ACL injuries, you never know what you're gonna get when they come back.  Colts lack depth a many positions and many of the starters are not top tier players.  We really need to get back to developing good players from the draft. 

I am sure they will the problem was when Grigson came in he pretty much turned over the roster (seriously only 13 players remain from when he first got here) so he had to find starters before he could find depth.  Now that he has a good chunk of the starters in place he can start working on building some depth. 

I am sure they will the problem was when Grigson came in he pretty much turned over the roster (seriously only 13 players remain from when he first got here) so he had to find starters before he could find depth.  Now that he has a good chunk of the starters in place he can start working on building some depth. 

I'm not so sure that we have enough good starters in place especially on the defense.  Defense is getting a little long in the tooth.  Grigson has to start working on some replacements for our aging defense. 

I'm not so sure that we have enough good starters in place especially on the defense.  Defense is getting a little long in the tooth.  Grigson has to start working on some replacements for our aging defense. 

Which at this point would be depth to be developed into starters in a year or two. 

The defense starts with what are you going to do with Davis and Bethea.  If you let them or one of them walk then you have to replace them.  If you keep them or one of them that will eat some of the cap space you have for other guys.  They are going to have to do something at MLB as I don't see Conner or Angerer coming back.  I think they will sign a guy and probably draft another to go with Sheppard and Freeman.  OLB I don't think they are going to do much with.  The d-line needs some work.  I really hope they can find a big 3/4 run stopping DT.  Getting that and another solid MLB will do wonders for our run defense.  We could use pass rusher for a 3/4 end and probably be the guy to replace Redding at the end of next season.  I do think they need to draft another safety regardless of what they do with Bethea and probably a corner that or sign one who is young from another team, if they let Davis walk they need to find another starter on a number one level. 

On offense I think the skill positions are pretty much in place other than maybe another WR and maybe another runningback depending on what they do with Brown.  The line needs some work but I don't think it's going to be a major overhaul some are expecting.  Satele right now would be our third highest paid player on offense next year.  I think Colts fans might riot if that comes to pass so I expect him to be released or at least I hope he is.  So I look for us to be in the market for a new center.  GC is going to be our right tackle.  Castonzo is going into the last year of his deal so I don't think we are going to replace him right now.  I think they will give him one more year before deciding to let him walk or extending him with a new deal.  Thomas needs more than a game and quarter look at left tackle and frankly from the way Rick Venturi has talked getting him back next to Castonzo might really sure up that side of the line.  He talked a lot about the spacing in the way Castonzo and Thornton play being a real issue that opens it's self up for d-lineman to get through and he seems to think when Thomas was in there that spacing wasn't an issue.  Then I think you'll Thornton moved to right guard with a full year of starting under his belt hopefully he takes that next step as a player. 

What they do need on the line is more depth though.  Two long time depth players in Reitz and Link are free agents I don't expect either to be back.  It bothers me Holmes couldn't even be active for game days when were starting undrafted free agents on the line this year but I expect him and Nixon to probably be back next year but beyond that I am not sure what we really have for depth on the o-line as I don't think McGlynn will be re-signed either or if he is he would be moved to center but I don't think that's going to happen either. 

Special teams both kickers are free agents so decisions have to be made there but so Sergio Brown is also a free agent and he has become so good at special teams I think the Colts would want him back but he shouldn't cost that much.  They also still lack returners so other than the long snapper they might be changing out a good chunk of the special teams unit this off-season but that can be done either with late round picks or undrafted free agents IF that's the direction the Colts go.  I honestly hope they keep both McAfee and AV. 

Still when Grigson took over he didn't have most of those skills guys so he spent a lot of his first two years getting starters for those positions.  Now that he has those he can work on building some depth behind them as well as addressing a few spots that still need to be addressed as far as starters go. 

Which at this point would be depth to be developed into starters in a year or two. 

The defense starts with what are you going to do with Davis and Bethea.  If you let them or one of them walk then you have to replace them.  If you keep them or one of them that will eat some of the cap space you have for other guys.  They are going to have to do something at MLB as I don't see Conner or Angerer coming back.  I think they will sign a guy and probably draft another to go with Sheppard and Freeman.  OLB I don't think they are going to do much with.  The d-line needs some work.  I really hope they can find a big 3/4 run stopping DT.  Getting that and another solid MLB will do wonders for our run defense.  We could use pass rusher for a 3/4 end and probably be the guy to replace Redding at the end of next season.  I do think they need to draft another safety regardless of what they do with Bethea and probably a corner that or sign one who is young from another team, if they let Davis walk they need to find another starter on a number one level. 

On offense I think the skill positions are pretty much in place other than maybe another WR and maybe another runningback depending on what they do with Brown.  The line needs some work but I don't think it's going to be a major overhaul some are expecting.  Satele right now would be our third highest paid player on offense next year.  I think Colts fans might riot if that comes to pass so I expect him to be released or at least I hope he is.  So I look for us to be in the market for a new center.  GC is going to be our right tackle.  Castonzo is going into the last year of his deal so I don't think we are going to replace him right now.  I think they will give him one more year before deciding to let him walk or extending him with a new deal.  Thomas needs more than a game and quarter look at left tackle and frankly from the way Rick Venturi has talked getting him back next to Castonzo might really sure up that side of the line.  He talked a lot about the spacing in the way Castonzo and Thornton play being a real issue that opens it's self up for d-lineman to get through and he seems to think when Thomas was in there that spacing wasn't an issue.  Then I think you'll Thornton moved to right guard with a full year of starting under his belt hopefully he takes that next step as a player. 

What they do need on the line is more depth though.  Two long time depth players in Reitz and Link are free agents I don't expect either to be back.  It bothers me Holmes couldn't even be active for game days when were starting undrafted free agents on the line this year but I expect him and Nixon to probably be back next year but beyond that I am not sure what we really have for depth on the o-line as I don't think McGlynn will be re-signed either or if he is he would be moved to center but I don't think that's going to happen either. 

Special teams both kickers are free agents so decisions have to be made there but so Sergio Brown is also a free agent and he has become so good at special teams I think the Colts would want him back but he shouldn't cost that much.  They also still lack returners so other than the long snapper they might be changing out a good chunk of the special teams unit this off-season but that can be done either with late round picks or undrafted free agents IF that's the direction the Colts go.  I honestly hope they keep both McAfee and AV. 

Still when Grigson took over he didn't have most of those skills guys so he spent a lot of his first two years getting starters for those positions.  Now that he has those he can work on building some depth behind them as well as addressing a few spots that still need to be addressed as far as starters go. 

All valid points.  That's why I say that we are still in rebuild mode. 

Right now I'm confident in saying that Grigson is a good "rebuilder." 

All valid points.  That's why I say that we are still in rebuild mode. 

Right now I'm confident in saying that Grigson is a good "rebuilder." 

oh yeah that's why I keep saying keep in mind we are supposed to be in year two of a three to four year rebuilding project.  This team is way ahead of schedule.  I am just saying the first step in that is you have to find your starters before you can build depth behind them.  I think Grigson has a large chunk of starters in place now so he can now start working on depth while still looking for a two or three new starters. 

You may be right - but I think we'll be going into the season with TR as our #1 or #2 -- I still have hope that he can improve, especially with an improved line.  If he doesn't improve, then we are going to really regret that trade - but I cannot see us shopping too hard for RBs this offseason if it looks like Ballard is set to come back healthy, other than maybe making a push to keep Donald Brown.

No, he's wrong. Trent will be fine if we fix the Oline. No one knows about Ballard yet.

The trade was a mistake, RBs are a dime a dozen. But it's over and he's staying. Good receiver and blocker, he can run if he gets a block.

I'm not sold on Rogers. He needs to improve his route running greatly. I'm not sold on Trent either. Hopefully with guard and center improvements the O line can open up more holes for him.

I really think he's going to be a guy who gets cut in final cut downs that people are going to lose their minds over and then by week four of the season most will forget he was a Colt at all.  Much like Nevis or Rayford (who was traded rather than cut) this year. 

rogers need to work more on his route running and his hands..i think he's talented but there is a lot he needs to work on...truthfully i wouldn't mind Whalen playing more next year he could turn into a welker type of receiver...huge third down catches in that game...huge gains...i like whalen...reliable hands too...

I'm not sold on Rogers. He needs to improve his route running greatly. I'm not sold on Trent either. Hopefully with guard and center improvements the O line can open up more holes for him.

I think Rogers is going to be just fine -- especially with a healthy Wayne and Allen back in the line-up.  He is big, fast -- and yes, he needs to improve his routes, but I am confident that he will. 

With Wayne, TY, Allen, Fleener in the line-up (assuming all stay healthy), teams are going to have to pick their poison between these 4 and Whalen, Brazzill, and Rogers -- who can all make big plays on their own.  I think if teams try to 'keep the top' on their defense to limit big TY plays, we will be able to pick them apart with short-to-intermediate passing game using Wayne, Whalen and our TE's and it should open the field for Brazzil and Rogers to make some huge plays for us.

need a pass rusher too help with mathis  such as jared allen  . mathis get double team he only pass rusher teams fear they know other one sucks .

Bjoern Werner seemed to really improve towards then end of last year and I thought McNary looked explosive blitziing up the middle.  You can never have too much speed or pass rushers, but I won't be shocked if the coaches/GM think that Werner is the answer for us here.

Not saying our O is top notch, but with all the guys returning and others progressing, I'm comfortable with where we sit.. We do need to bring in a starting center, because that alone would improve the OL tremendously.

Our main focus this offseason remains to be the D if you ask me