Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vontae Davis -- 3rd best in the league

ColtsFanMikeC

If you take away that Broncos game, he grades out at 6.1 for the season, which would put him right in the middle of the pack.

I'm extremely happy with Vontae and I'd like to see him as a Colt going forward, but he's not the 3rd best CB in the league, and this is why I take PFF with a grain of salt. Great site and I like to use it, but it has its flaws.

It'd still have him in the top 20 (out of 110) right smack in the middle between Kyle Arrington and Joe Haden. 

Whenever I adjust for outliers like this, i like to throw out the stat (grade in this case) on the opposite end of the spectrum as well. 

If we remove his best game, I think it's also fair to remove his worst game (-2.4).

This would put him at +10.0 exactly which puts him at 11th overall, which I think is a more accurate position than either #3 or #18. 

He is one of the few cbs in the league that can man up outside with the other teams primary receiving target. Nonetheless he is pretty average in run support and has been prone to mental lapses. A bit of a stretch to rank him top 3 over guys like Sherman, Hayden, Peterson and Verner. Fringe top 10 seems more likely.

I'd give him $7,500,000 over 4 years with an option for a 5th year........That would make him the 14th highest paid Corner over the course of that deal and the 12th highest paid Corner next year

that is what i am guessing he will get.  well done, gavin

I'd give him $7,500,000 over 4 years with an option for a 5th year........That would make him the 14th highest paid Corner over the course of that deal and the 12th highest paid Corner next year

A few teams would definitely give him twice that amount. 

I doubt the Colts get him for less than 2M a year. I'm expecting more like 5M a year.

Whoever came up with that ranking #3 must a had beer goggles on. The guy is unreliable/inconsistent. Good to great corners only have 1or 2 bad games,not several.

He is better than you are giving him credit for, and not any more unreliable/inconsistent than many good corners.  Good corners have more than 1 or 2 bad games. He may not be 3rd best, but he is top a ~10 corner and has top 5 potential. 

It'd still have him in the top 20 (out of 110) right smack in the middle between Kyle Arrington and Joe Haden. 

Whenever I adjust for outliers like this, i like to throw out the stat (grade in this case) on the opposite end of the spectrum as well. 

If we remove his best game, I think it's also fair to remove his worst game (-2.4).

This would put him at +10.0 exactly which puts him at 11th overall, which I think is a more accurate position than either #3 or #18. 

Although Haden is easily the better CB, yes you're right, it isn't in the middle of the pack. 

11th overall in the league seems about right.

He was inconsistent in Miami, and came in to their camp unmotivated and out of shape.  That is why he was dumped for our #2 pick, not because of talent issues.  He is learning to be more consistent, and being a playoff team and being a part of it is motivating him.  He has things to learn but is already an upper level CB and getting better.  If we let him walk, who do we have left?  (Butler, Vaughn, Gordy, Price?) Who do we add to replace him and at what price? We might have to overpay a little, depending upon the market.  But I think it is a mistake to let him walk, and we can't even think to franchise tag him (wasn't that $10.8 million /yr in 2013?). We already have holes to fill and no #1 or #4 draft picks.  I'd prefer we not create even more holes if we can help it.

I can think of lots of cb's I would rather have and are better: d.revis,j haden,r.sherman,b.browner,b.carr,c.tillman,p.peterson,a.talib,a.verner,s.smith,l.mckelvin,s.gilmore,b.grimes....just my opinion.

What's the plan on getting any of those guys away from their current teams, and onto ours?

What's the plan on getting any of those guys away from their current teams, and onto ours?

well......Many of those names are FA's but it seems kinda silly to let go of one good Corner(Davis) just to subtitute him with another....That dont fix our #2 Corner problem :funny:

I can think of lots of cb's I would rather have and are better: d.revis,j haden,r.sherman,b.browner,b.carr,c.tillman,p.peterson,a.talib,a.verner,s.smith,l.mckelvin,s.gilmore,b.grimes....just my opinion.

I am sure a lot of people would like to have Revis ... but other than Revis only Grimes and Sherman are really playing better.

Haden, Peterson, Verner, and McKelvin are all playing at a similar level as V.Davis ... while Talib and Smith are not playing as well. 

Browner and Gilmore may be playing at a similar level, but the snaps/games they have played is much less so it hard to know for sure. 

Charles Tillman is great. but his career is about over.

So like a couple of previous posters said we aren't getting some of those players, and others would just be equivalent to V. Davis or a downgrade .... we need to worry about our #2 CB, not mess with the CB we have who is already playing at a high level and has a chance to become even better.

I wasn't meaning getting those guys on the colts, all of them are going to stay put for years to come....I was just sayn if I had a football team,I would take all of them over davis. Davis plays one good half and then a bad half,a good game n a horrible game....

He was inconsistent in Miami, and came in to their camp unmotivated and out of shape.  That is why he was dumped for our #2 pick, not because of talent issues.  He is learning to be more consistent, and being a playoff team and being a part of it is motivating him.  He has things to learn but is already an upper level CB and getting better.  If we let him walk, who do we have left?  (Butler, Vaughn, Gordy, Price?) Who do we add to replace him and at what price? We might have to overpay a little, depending upon the market.  But I think it is a mistake to let him walk, and we can't even think to franchise tag him (wasn't that $10.8 million /yr in 2013?). We already have holes to fill and no #1 or #4 draft picks.  I'd prefer we not create even more holes if we can help it.

There is a collection of good CB's on the market if Davis asks for too much.  

How much in payroll for each of those compared to what we pay now, or what Davis might command?  Money spent there is less money available elsewhere too... like #2 corner and O line.  Another good pass rusher too.  I like 4 of those, but not for much more money than Davis will get.

Vontae also dealt with a hamstring issue part of the year.  

Every CB in the entire league had bad games...  Most of the time, a CBs bad games come when the D doesnt get a pass rush.  We had plenty of those.  Not to mention the opposition had the lead 90% of the year so we had to worry about the run more than normal.  Stick a better CB at the #2 spot, upgrade BOTH safety positions, develop or add a wingman to Mathis and all the sudden Davis DOES look like Revis.