Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manusky

atapcl

They were lining up TEs wide. We were in man coverage, so Angerer was just lining up with his man. I don't think having a 5th string CB on a starting TE is a good idea.

It is if the cb knows what he is doing. Angerer was mismatched and is a poor coverage lb anyway. Jalil Brown is a big strong cb who supposedly covers well man to man. The Titans should not have scored that last td. I believe the defense was totally confused as well as having a mismatch with Angerer in the game.

I agree to an extent here.  I don't want to put ALL the blame on the coaches but I think this is a good and fair point.  Frankly I think our man-to-man pass defense was show cased so much in the Denver game that teams figured out how to attack it based on us never coming out of man-to-man defense.  The Texans really attacked it first and then the Rams did it.  Now it's hard to make a big change like that in four days especially if you don't have a lot of zone defenses in your defensive playbooks to start with.  So I can see why they might not have been able to make a change like that for tonight.  However, now they have ten days to work on it.  I'll be disappointed if we don't do something differently against the Cardinals.  Also worth noting we haven't had an INT in three games.  I think just a little zone defense will probably get us one. 

Manusky has been around long enough to make sure zone defenses would be in the playbook. IMO he just has not prepared the team well and has to make half time adjustments to compensate. I could understand the Titans first td surprising him but not the second.

Manusky has been around long enough to make sure zone defenses would be in the playbook. IMO he just has not prepared the team well and has to make half time adjustments to compensate. I could understand the Titans first td surprising him but not the second.

If it's not something you do regularly it doesn't matter if it's in the play book or not it's hard to put in on a short week.  I would hope we see an adjustment in the Cardinals game. 

Toler was playing better then Vaughn and Toler not being out ther shows but that speaks more to Vaughns suckage more then how good Toler has been, Toler has struggled plenty and has shown not to be a #2 at this point...Vaughn however is in a league all his own to this point...Both are still young and it takes Corners quite a while to develop on average....Side Note: Powers has not been good out in Arizona

You keep telling yourself that he's not a #2 corner. Afterall you have to defend your own judgement of him before he ever played a game for the Colts. What I know is there has been a significant difference in our defense since he went out and it shows more than just in the secondary.

If it's not something you do regularly it doesn't matter if it's in the play book or not it's hard to put in on a short week.  I would hope we see an adjustment in the Cardinals game. 

IMO some practice time would be devoted to it every week so we don't look confused when we have to use it. We should have learned from Miami, San Diego, Denver, Houston, and St Louis.

IMO some practice time would be devoted to it every week so we don't look confused when we have to use it. We should have learned from Miami, San Diego, Denver, Houston, and St Louis.

The Denver game was in part because we didn't come out of the Man defense, in fact the announcers glowed in amazement about how we didn't have to do that. 

The Colts seem to pride themselves on not having to come out of the man-to-man so I don't think they spend a lot of time working on zone defenses.  If that's the case that's not just something you throw out there on a short week.  It didn't seem to become a major issue till the Houston and St. Louis games.  My guess is that they didn't want to over react to what they saw in the Houston game and chalked it up to guys having a bad game.  I would hope after the Rams did almost the samething they would realize it wasn't just guys having a bad game and that they needed to adjust however adjustments like that is hard to do when you have a short week and you spend most of the week in walkthroughs than true practice. 

So I would expect if they are going to adjust we will see it in the Cardinals game after they have had 10 days to work on it.  They might not.  They might just be taking the attitude our guys have to play better and frankly there has been plenty of bad play in the secondary to go around the past three games.  So it's not just the man-to-man defense. 

The Denver game was in part because we didn't come out of the Man defense, in fact the announcers glowed in amazement about how we didn't have to do that. 

The Colts seem to pride themselves on not having to come out of the man-to-man so I don't think they spend a lot of time working on zone defenses.  If that's the case that's not just something you throw out there on a short week.  It didn't seem to become a major issue till the Houston and St. Louis games.  My guess is that they didn't want to over react to what they saw in the Houston game and chalked it up to guys having a bad game.  I would hope after the Rams did almost the samething they would realize it wasn't just guys having a bad game and that they needed to adjust however adjustments like that is hard to do when you have a short week and you spend most of the week in walkthroughs than true practice. 

So I would expect if they are going to adjust we will see it in the Cardinals game after they have had 10 days to work on it.  They might not.  They might just be taking the attitude our guys have to play better and frankly there has been plenty of bad play in the secondary to go around the past three games.  So it's not just the man-to-man defense. 

If it takes this many games to adjust then we will not be a top ten defense. Our defense should be well versed so we can counter any schemes an offense can come up with. I hope you are right and the Cardinals game is different.

not sure if that's just coincidence or not..

a lot of people were bashing him before he got injured... now we miss him :)

LOL it's not only him, half the team is that way.  1 second they hating on someone, then turn around and go shouting from the mountain tops full of praise

Back to the topic at hand though.  Manusky and the rest of the coaching staff needs to get some praise for the halftime adjustments that they are making.  

As far as Conner goes, who knows, it could be that Angerer does the best job getting Manusky's plays to the defense and Freeman is just better than Conner. So Conner is out of the starting lineup by default. It could be that simple. Before this season I kinda considered Conner and Angerer more or less equal but 51 was the better signal caller.

I thought our LB corps were much faster and nastier when Conner was playing last year. He went from a 12 game starter last year to barely getting any run. I would love to know what is up.

The defensive coach made many mistakes but some of the adjustment calls on the field were even worse, and I mean terrible.  Now, is it because our defense is somewhat depleted right now, you can bet a pinch of Skoal Bandit between the cheek and gum that it has something to do with it.  But I would bet money that TRich's video doesn't go viral either.

Manusky has had some good game plans...he's had some bad ones....but at 7-3, we aren't doing that bad.  Part of it's on the players too, you know...

No no no, when someone does something right it's all about the players when something bad happens it's all the coaches fault didn't you get the memo?

You keep telling yourself that he's not a #2 corner. Afterall you have to defend your own judgement of him before he ever played a game for the Colts. What I know is there has been a significant difference in our defense since he went out and it shows more than just in the secondary.

Did you somehow forget Landry was out 4 games and that Bethea is an average Safety(truely overrated by some)? insert Vaughn in there and ya have a mess, Toler is better then Vaughn by a ton but hes still a nickel corner

It is if the cb knows what he is doing. Angerer was mismatched and is a poor coverage lb anyway. Jalil Brown is a big strong cb who supposedly covers well man to man. The Titans should not have scored that last td. I believe the defense was totally confused as well as having a mismatch with Angerer in the game.

Are you talking about safety Sergio Brown? I don't know who Jalil Brown is. I was thinking they probably didn't want Gordy who's 5"10 covering a TE.

I thought our LB corps were much faster and nastier when Conner was playing last year. He went from a 12 game starter last year to barely getting any run. I would love to know what is up.

I'm thinking they must not like Freeman, Conner, or Bethea making the signal calls.

Did you somehow forget Landry was out 4 games and that Bethea is an average Safety(truely overrated by some)? insert Vaughn in there and ya have a mess, Toler is better then Vaughn by a ton but hes still a nickel corner

I don't think he's average overall but he's very average in man coverage, maybe below average in that aspect. No question Toler is better than Vaughn. The only reason they didn't move Butler to #2 spot is because they like his nickel coverage.

I don't think he's average overall but he's very average in man coverage, maybe below average in that aspect. No question Toler is better than Vaughn. The only reason they didn't move Butler to #2 spot is because they like his nickel coverage.

He is very average, He can give you 100 tackle seasons seemingly at will which is nice....if most were not 15-20 yards down field.....Hes only had 2 picks in the last 4 years and 21 passes defensed over that same span......Thats not good...Heck JJ Watt had 20 passes defensed last year and hes a D Lineman

He is very average, He can give you 100 tackle seasons seemingly at will which is nice....if most were not 15-20 yards down field.....Hes only had 2 picks in the last 4 years and 21 passes defensed over that same span......Thats not good...Heck JJ Watt had 20 passes defensed last year and hes a D Lineman

I'm not saying he's a pro bowler but I think he's above average. He won't wow anyone with stats but he is very reliable and safe. Coaches often say reliability is the best ability.

I'm not saying he's a pro bowler but I think he's above average. He won't wow anyone with stats but he is very reliable and safe. Coaches often say reliability is the best ability.

Well Im not saying he has to go out and be a young Ed Reed and I realize Bethea was a 6th rounder for a reason but I dont feel like I expect to much considering he has had 2 seasons of 4 picks and 2 forced fumbles, Neither season he had 100 tackles, Heck Ed Reed never sniffed 100 tackles in a season (85 his rookie year is his career high) but he is in the discussion of greatest Safeties of all time....But I also think Bethea is a FS not a SS

Well Im not saying he has to go out and be a young Ed Reed and I realize Bethea was a 6th rounder for a reason but I dont feel like I expect to much considering he has had 2 seasons of 4 picks and 2 forced fumbles, Neither season he had 100 tackles, Heck Ed Reed never sniffed 100 tackles in a season (85 his rookie year is his career high) but he is in the discussion of greatest Safeties of all time....But I also think Bethea is a FS not a SS

I get ya. Also I'm not sure what to think about how they use both safeties, confuses the heck out of me, must be a good thing not knowing where each safety will be.

I'm a little anxious to see how he game plan's against the Cardinals since BA knows firsthand his schemes from last year.  Coach Manusky really isn't doing to bad of a job with the group he has been given.  Our DL is average at best, Lb's are solid and the secondary is solid when Vaughn isn't in there.