Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ILB

danlhart87

Guest TeamLoloJones

I would like a guy like Brandon Spikes, Dont'a Hightower, Rolando McClain who is a big ILB who eats blockers and stops the run while also allowing Jerrell Freeman to run around and make plays. Our MIKE LB do not keep Freeman clean because offenses don't respect them enough.

Spikes is a free agent next year...In case you didn't know.

Justin Hickman should be back to provide some good depth at ILB, he played real well there during training camp and against the Bills until he injured his foot. Josh McNary as well.

Should easily jump Sheppard and Harvey if they stay healthy next training camp/preseason

The Chargers game really exposed our lack of depth and talent at ILB. It's the weakest spot on our defense. I don't know what's going on with Conner, but he's obviously not earning playing time. I'd love to add a stud ILB to ride next to Freeman. Brandon Spikes is a free agent, but I really want someone with a little more athleticism.

Yip, that says it.

Chuck & Pagano will develope their Ellerbe.

Add some size, some speed, intelligence, and develope the FB IQ.  And some time. 

If he isn`t here now, he will be next year.

Yeah, a thumper would really shore up the middle. I'm just weary of guys like that who are liabilities in the passing game (the way Sheppard and Angerer were against the Chargers). It restricts the defense's ability to be multiple. What I would prefer -- and I know this is asking for a whole lot -- is a thumper who can cover. Brian Cushing comes to mind.

Kush & Kuechly?  are Great.

Harvey may be up on the D-Line next year. I really liked his athleticism last season. That`s GONE!

Not sure why either would have to be off the team...    they might not start, but they might be kept for depth...

I suspect we'd get one either in FA or in the draft, but I don't see us spending our 2 or 3 for an ILB.    Those are premium picks and the position just isn't a premium one anymore.    But I could see us using our 5 for one.

As for those who favor McClain....   I'd simply say this....    while I admire his decision to get out before his life spun horribly out of control,  he's now going public about fearing that he was going to shoot and kill someone just like Aaron Hernandez.    For a franchise which prides itself being such a part of the fabric of Indianapolis, I'm not sure that kind of public statement can be sold or accepted in a very close family community as Indy...

Put another way.....   if we cut the Oregon Safety, (brain cramp, I can't remember his name) our 6th round pick, for saying stupid things when he was drunk,  I don't see us taking in a player who talked openly of murdering someone when he was sober.    I've seen crazier things happen, but I just don't see Irsay willing to go in that direction....

Just my hunch....