Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jerod Mayo placed on New England Patriots' IR list (out for the season)

IcEWoLF

If any team can the Patriots will with Belichik at the helm, Pats are the 1 team that has lost more critical players to injury than us and still are 5-1.....Got to respect what they do up there , but I don't feel sorry for any Boston area fans..They are the most spoiled priviliged fans ever....I wonder what they rank in terms of  the most major sports championships?? Boston has to be at the top or very close...New York is in the lead I'm sure because of the Yankees...You guys need some down time, but it looks like the Red Sox are primed to win this year too...smh

If any team can the Patriots will with Belichik at the helm, Pats are the 1 team that has lost more critical players to injury than us and still are 5-1.....Got to respect what they do up there , but I don't feel sorry for any Boston area fans..They are the most spoiled priviliged fans ever....I wonder what they rank in terms of  the most major sports championships?? Boston has to be at the top or very close...New York is in the lead I'm sure because of the Yankees...You guys need some down time, but it looks like the Red Sox are primed to win this year too...smh

No doubt Boston fans spoiled but compared to what. I would imagine NY is too.

In Spain, Real Madrid have won 32 La Liga championships. In North America, the New York Yankees have won 27 MLB championships and the Montreal Canadiens have won 24 NHL championships.

By city

NY-55 championships

Boston-34

Chicago-27

LA-22

Detroit-22

Philly-17

Pitts-14

No doubt Boston fans spoiled but compared to what. I would imagine NY is too.

In Spain, Real Madrid have won 32 La Liga championships. In North America, the New York Yankees have won 27 MLB championships and the Montreal Canadiens have won 24 NHL championships.

By city

NY-55 championships

Boston-34

Chicago-27

LA-22

Detroit-22

Philly-17

Pitts-14

Thanks for posting...Philly and Detroit surprised me..

1st wilfork, now Mayo, Amendola suffered a concussion against the Saints [a great game BTW], and Wilfork is out...Sorry NE that is brutal. The Patriots just keep plugging along. 5-1. Darn that's impressive! 

I never underestimate Bill, Tom, or Josh. Your franchise will still make the Playoffs. 

TBH: I love Rob Ryan & I thought he had your number on Sunday, but I gotta give it up to Brady & Thompkins... :worthy:

Too bad Mayo is out, as he has been a trooper for us . . . most tackles on the team year in and year out, one of the players who is the heart of the defense, calls the plays and so on, and was needed more with the loss of Wilfork . . .but things happen . . .I hope he gets well soon and will be 100% for next year . . . and the tackle did seem somewhat harmless, but injuries happen . . .

This is starting to look like 2004 and 2005 where we had a lot injuries . . . I am just hoping that we can keep it together and be more like 2004 than 2005 . . .

This would hurt less if Wilfork wasn't already out. The middle of their defense is decimated, both levels of the front 7. If teams don't try pounding the ball between the tackles against NE, they're foolish. 

I guess we're going to find out how NFL-ready Jamie Collins is. 

This is just unreal, the hits continue to come week after week.  This team cannot catch a break with injuries to save their life.  Its bad enough the number of injuries, but the caliber of players that are going down is insane and crippling.

Mayo has been the leading tackler on the team for the last 5 years, hes always around the ball and making plays, he calls the alignments and adjustments, wears the green dot helmet and QBs the defense and was an every down player that could hang with RBs and TEs.  He simply never came off the field.. he has played in like 98% of the defensive snaps this year... 

He simply cannot be replaced.

Wilfork = Team captain and one of highest paid players on the team.  IR'ed and done for the year.

Mayo = Team captain and one of highest paid on team, leader of defense.  IR'ed and done for the year.

Amendola = big free agent signing to replace welker, has only played in like 2-3 games all year and now concussed.

Gronk = one of biggest contracts on team, star of the offense.. hasnt played 1 snap yet all year

Talib = Big free agent signing, 5th ranked CB in league, true shut down corner.. busts up his hip flexor

Tommy Kelly = big veteran free agent signing to sure up middle of D line.. Injured and no timeline on his return

Shane Vereen = 4th year RB with amazing talent and speed, huge in running and passing game.. on IR until week 11

Dan Connolly = Solid starting RG, injured and no timeline for his return

Hernandez = superstar of offense, huge contract.. starts murdering people and is gone

These aren't just JAGs off the street with the exception of Dan Connolly and Shane Vereen, they are key contributors that the front office has built the team around with the salary cap structure and many were team captains and leaders.  Vereen though has amazing talent and the offense desperately needs more playmakers, so i would put him above JAG status.

wth.

This is just unreal, the hits continue to come week after week.  This team cannot catch a break with injuries to save their life.  Its bad enough the number of injuries, but the caliber of players that are going down is insane and crippling.

Mayo has been the leading tackler on the team for the last 5 years, hes always around the ball and making plays, he calls the alignments and adjustments, wears the green dot helmet and QBs the defense and was an every down player that could hang with RBs and TEs.  He simply never came off the field.. he has played in like 98% of the defensive snaps this year... 

He simply cannot be replaced.

Wilfork = Team captain and one of highest paid players on the team.  IR'ed and done for the year.

Mayo = Team captain and one of highest paid on team, leader of defense.  IR'ed and done for the year.

Amendola = big free agent signing to replace welker, has only played in like 2-3 games all year and now concussed.

Gronk = one of biggest contracts on team, star of the offense.. hasnt played 1 snap yet all year

Talib = Big free agent signing, 5th ranked CB in league, true shut down corner.. busts up his hip flexor

Tommy Kelly = big veteran free agent signing to sure up middle of D line.. Injured and no timeline on his return

Shane Vereen = 4th year RB with amazing talent and speed, huge in running and passing game.. on IR until week 11

Dan Connolly = Solid starting RG, injured and no timeline for his return

Hernandez = superstar of offense, huge contract.. starts murdering people and is gone

These aren't just JAGs off the street with the exception of Dan Connolly and Shane Vereen, they are key contributors that the front office has built the team around with the salary cap structure and many were team captains and leaders.  Vereen though has amazing talent and the offense desperately needs more playmakers, so i would put him above JAG status.

wth.

I was thinking of you man when this news broke given your screen name and all. It is horrible. But only wilfork and mayo are on IR. All the others will play this season. Vareen is supposed to be back this month in fact. So it is not all dire but for sure the loss of two captains right up the guy will hurt all season. We get a chance to see Bill work his magic again I suppose and get to know players we have never heard of. ;)

Can't seem to catch a break with the injuries. Hopefully Tommy Kelly is back soon to plug the middle and thankfully Talib just had a hip flexer. Next 3 games are not too bad - Jets away, Fins at home, Steelers at home and then the bye where the team can rest up.

If we had you're schedule we'd be 6-0, well maybe not with Pep's playcalling, but how do you guys get such a cakewalk schedule...Not to mention you haven't had a quality division rival in 10 years except for 2 with the Jets and that doesn't count really considering Sanchez was their starting QB...

If we had you're schedule we'd be 6-0, well maybe not with Pep's playcalling, but how do you guys get such a cakewalk schedule...Not to mention you haven't had a quality division rival in 10 years except for 2 with the Jets and that doesn't count really considering Sanchez was their starting QB...

ha nice try.  They've had to play Cinci, Atlanta and the Saints so far and they still have to play the Dolphins twice, the Broncos, Texans and Ravens.  The Browns are no automatic win either, they're playing great defense and are 3-3 in a tough division.

Not to mention the Patriots had to start the season on the road against a divisional opponent and then 4 days later play a bitter rival in the Jets on Thursday night football.  

The Colts play in an easier division and have 2 free wins against the Jaguars.  The Dolphins beat the Colts and we have to play them twice still.

AFC East Win-Loss

13-10

AFC South Win-Loss

9-15

For dramatics, the Patriots have been doing it with devastating injuries across the board to team captains and super star players.

BTW, you can find out 14 of the 16 teams that the Colts, Patriots and any other team in the league will be playing for the next 4 years or so on the NFL.com site, but im sure you already knew that.

Always enjoy a humorous post regarding strength of schedule though.  

ha nice try.  They've had to play Cinci, Atlanta and the Saints so far and they still have to play the Dolphins twice, the Broncos, Texans and Ravens.  The Browns are no automatic win either, they're playing great defense and are 3-3 in a tough division.

The Colts play in an easier division and have 2 free wins against the Jaguars.  The Dolphins beat the Colts and we have to play them twice still.

AFC East Win-Loss

13-10

AFC South Win-Loss

9-15

BTW, you can find out 14 of the 16 teams that the Colts, Patriots and any other team in the league will be playing for the next 4 years or so on the NFL.com site, but im sure you already knew that.

Always enjoy a humorous post regarding strength of schedule though.  

Yeah I know..and we get to play the AFC west, and NFC west the 2 toughest divisions in football this year...I'm saying your lucky it seems you always get the divisions when they are down and we get them when they are up...

Our schedule has had its challenges with Cincy, Atlanta and Saints. Stil can't believe we won 2 out of those 3. You guys have done great against seattle and niners who both beat us last year. I think the East is actually pretty competitive this year if you look at the records. Even the Bills are putting up points and giving teams tough games.

How do you see this game with Denver going? I think the Colts have a real chance but like you allueded too, not sure if your OC will let Luck decide this game. I think if he can throw more, you can win.

Yeah I know..and we get to play the AFC west, and NFC west the 2 toughest divisions in football this year...I'm saying your lucky it seems you always get the divisions when they are down and we get them when they are up...

Only 2 legitimate teams from the NFC West in the 49ers and Seahawks.. two real tough opponents that the Colts got out of the way early.  

Im glad we don't have to deal with the AFC West though, aside from the Raiders that division is pretty beefy.  

The AFC North is actually still a very tough and competitive division, it usually is every single year too.

Our schedule has had its challenges with Cincy, Atlanta and Saints. Stil can't believe we won 2 out of those 3. You guys have done great against seattle and niners who both beat us last year. I think the East is actually pretty competitive this year if you look at the records. Even the Bills are putting up points and giving teams tough games.

How do you see this game with Denver going? I think the Colts have a real chance but like you allueded too, not sure if your OC will let Luck decide this game. I think if he can throw more, you can win.

Talent wise we should be able to beat anyone...I have serious doubts about the OC so I'm not optimistic...Even the games we are winning we are winning in spite of the coaching..We should be blowing teams out, but we intentionally keep it close and insist on treating Luck like he is Trent Dilfer for some crazy reason....I'll say this..If Belichik was our coach we would be decimating the NFL right now, but our coaches are the weakness and it sucks...The talent is there, but we run a vanilla defense and a high school offense...I hope the players start getting in Pep Hamilton's ear and force him to open it up and then I'll feel much better....Brady is winning with scrubs and I give you guys credit, it's amazing how important coaching is in this league maybe even more than a franchise QB and we can't pick a coach to save our lives...

Only 2 legitimate teams from the NFC West in the 49ers and Seahawks.. two real tough opponents that the Colts got out of the way early.  

Im glad we don't have to deal with the AFC West though, aside from the Raiders that division is pretty beefy.  

The AFC North is actually still a very tough and competitive division, it usually is every single year too.

NFC North is always brutal...We split last year...

Talent wise we should be able to beat anyone...I have serious doubts about the OC so I'm not optimistic...Even the games we are winning we are winning in spite of the coaching..We should be blowing teams out, but we intentionally keep it close and insist on treating Luck like he is Trent Dilfer for some crazy reason....I'll say this..If Belichik was our coach we would be decimating the NFL right now, but our coaches are the weakness and it sucks...The talent is there, but we run a vanilla defense and a high school offense...I hope the players start getting in Pep Hamilton's ear and force him to open it up and then I'll feel much better....Brady is winning with scrubs and I give you guys credit, it's amazing how important coaching is in this league maybe even more than a franchise QB and we can't pick a coach to save our lives...

Do you think Irsay is the one telling the coaches to run that syle of offense? He seems pretty adamant in running things opposite of how Polian did and I am not sure that is a great idea given it is a passing league. I like the focus on the run but your best player is Luck.

What is your issue with the defense? I think you guys are playing great team defense. Do you want to see more pressure? Or different coverages?

Do you think Irsay is the one telling the coaches to run that syle of offense? He seems pretty adamant in running things opposite of how Polian did and I am not sure that is a great idea given it is a passing league. I like the focus on the run but your best player is Luck.

What is your issue with the defense? I think you guys are playing great team defense. Do you want to see more pressure? Or different coverages?

I'd like to see them disguise it better and make more in game adjustments...We basically showed Rivers what we were gonna run and gave him 15 seconds to look it over and audible into a play that would beat it...More blitzes, especially cb and safety blitzes, more disguises as well...I think the players have been playing pretty well, but I'd like to see us gameplan more specific towards opponents like Belichik does, but we seem to do the same thing week in week out much like the Dungy years...Love the 3-4 though much better and we are better on D than we have been in a long time...

Talent wise collectively we have the most talent in the league in my opinion..We finally have good DT/NT in Chapman and Franklin, we have 3 good corners, Toler played 1 bad game, Davis is a shutdown corner and Butler is a ballhawk, at safety Bethea is as good as it gets and Landry if healthy and that's a big "if" at this point is Bob Sanders 2.0 and can change games and have that effect, Freeman is a Pro Bowl level LB, Mathis is all-time great and Werner the rookie who is out is gonna be very good I see a lot of Jarod allen in him..The problem is the coaches mismanage the talent in the most inefficient way possible..We have the weapons on offense to run a similar offense as Denver and we could be wearing defenses out and getting leads and then using Richardson to punish guys once they are tired..If we spread out the Offense we will run much more effectively too much like Denver and then in the 4th that's when you play big boy ball and ram it down their throats once their will is broken...But our OC insists on playing slow as possible , telegraphing everything, huddling up and allowing opposing defenses to sub in fresh players all game long...It is the most frustrating display of coaching I have ever seen and the talent is still winning in spite of it, but I can't help but wonder what we could be....

Thats a tough loss....him and Wilfork and HUGE talents. I would run on them too if possible. That secondary is getting pretty good and if Talib stays/gets healthy he shuts down one side of the field allowing the safeties to shadow the other or come down into the box. A lot of young talent that Bill is coaching up over there...he is just a great defensive coach. Imagine what he could have done with some defenses like the Ravens over the years or the 49ers or Seattle....scary! He only needs an offense to score 20 and Brady is definately good enough to do that even with the talent he has now. I'm telling you that defense has carried them this year...and while they are taking some dings the offense will catch up by the end of the year and NE will have a complete team. Will it be good enough...idk but i won't want to play them.