Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wes Welker

mirobi

I think we should use Vontae Davis on Wes Welker in an effort to take him out of the game.

Eric Decker is the player you want Peyton throwing to...

..He's not as reliable and not a game breaker

Then who covers D thomas?  Toler got torched last week by a rookie.  And don't forget that other Thomas too.

I think we should use Vontae Davis on Wes Welker in an effort to take him out of the game.

Decker is still arguably Peytons favorite target, going by the fact that he leads the Broncos receiving core in targets and is 2nd in receptions. 

He has, IMO, better hands and runs better routes than D. Thomas.

There is no one we can actually "take out" of this game.

Best case scenario would be 

Davis on Demariyus Thomas

Butler on Wes Welker

Toler on Eric Decker

I know its going to be a nightmare attempting to cover Julius Thomas with Freemans concussion issues, but put Angerer on him. Hes not that bad in coverage.

I think Welker will have his biggest game in a Broncos uniform to date. With the Broncos missing both of their starting offensive tackles going into this game, the pass rush might be the biggest wildcard for the Colts. Welker provides the quickest outlet in the NFL. The guy is amazing at finding the gap in the D quickly. I have a feeling that the Broncos will have a lot of quick hits over the middle against the Colts D.

Decker is still arguably Peytons favorite target, going by the fact that he leads the Broncos receiving core in targets and is 2nd in receptions.

Butler on Wes Welker

Toler on Eric Decker

I know its going to be a nightmare attempting to cover Julius Thomas with Freemans concussion issues, but put Angerer on him. Hes not that bad in coverage.

decker has some of the worst hands in the league. He has like a 12% drop rate.

decker has some of the worst hands in the league. He has like a 12% drop rate.

Sometimes stats dont tell the entire story.

Peyton looks for Decker on key 3rd downs over D. Thomas.

D. Thomas also has fumbled twice as many times as Decker these past two years.  

Sometimes stats dont tell the entire story.

Peyton looks for Decker on key 3rd downs over D. Thomas.

D. Thomas also has fumbled twice as many times as Decker these past two years.

neither of those things have to do with him having better hands then DT like you said.

neither of those things have to do with him having better hands then DT like you said.

Agree to disagree, stats show Fleener having better hands, going by drop rate than star receivers of many teams. I believe I saw a chart where it showed he had better hands, stats wise, than Dez Bryant. As Ive said, stats arent everything.

Agree to disagree, stats show Fleener having better hands, going by drop rate than star receivers of many teams. I believe I saw a chart where it showed he had better hands, stats wise, than Dez Bryant. As Ive said, stats arent everything.

that's because Fleener didn't drop many passes last year. It's one of those things that one person says and people keep repeating it when it has no basis in reality. The ones he does drop stand out more because of confirmation bias.

that's because Fleener didn't drop many passes last year. It's one of those things that one person says and people keep repeating it when it has no basis in reality. The ones he does drop stand out more because of confirmation bias.

"He has, IMO, better hands and runs better routes than D. Thomas."

IMO, In my opinion. I do not have any stats or expert opinion to back this up. Just something I noticed with my own eyes. 

Vonta Davis could not cover West for ****t when we use to play the Dolphins, should check out some of the highlights.

Vonta Davis could not cover West for ****t when we use to play the Dolphins, should check out some of the highlights.

I think hes gotten substantially better since then, Davis that is.

Welker has also gotten a bit older.

We have contained Welker with worse defensive backs when we used to play the Patriots.

Still? That implies that he ever was.

Peyton shares the ball pretty equally between the three wide receivers. The targets before the last game were virtually identical.

In my opinion Decker is in reality closer to his fourth option than his first. Actually the way things are trending he might actually be fifth. If he ever gets more catches/yards in any game it's simply because the defense was paying a lot less attention to him. It's incredibly unlikely that he's seen double coverage once all season. By that measure his stats aren't all that impressive. 

I've watched every Bronco game so far.  Decker has a few drops, but 12% seems ridiculous.  I'm sure this is an official stat, but I would question how it is formulated, and it's probably biased toward one game he had back in week 2 or 3 where he looked sloppy, I would think.  In any case, this is not the impression anyone would get watching Denver games.  And for what it's worth, when he does drop a ball, he usually makes up for it.  A drop then a 40 yard catch.  He runs well after the catch and is a great "bad ball" catcher.

DT is certainly more explosive...after you exclude Calvin Johnson and A.J Green he's right in line as one of the best receivers in the NFL.  You can argue how to rank Bryant, Marshall, Jones (when healthy), etc but DT is on that list.  I don't think Wes Welker needs explanation in how he creates matchup problems. 

Decker, however, could be a high-end #2 WR on any team.  He's just as good, or a lot better naturally (depending on who you talk about) than a lot of the guys Peyton made look better in Indy, like Austin Collie or Pierre Garcon, etc.  He runs every route..Manning will give him bubble screens or deep bombs down the field; he'll go to him on 1st and 10, 3rd and 6, on the goal line, or in the two minute drill.  He's still a big threat.  It really depends on what the coverage looks like. 

I think Welker will have his biggest game in a Broncos uniform to date. With the Broncos missing both of their starting offensive tackles going into this game, the pass rush might be the biggest wildcard for the Colts. Welker provides the quickest outlet in the NFL. The guy is amazing at finding the gap in the D quickly. I have a feeling that the Broncos will have a lot of quick hits over the middle against the Colts D.

I predict LaRon Landry will split Welker in two if he comes across the middle to often.... :D

We will do what we can. There is no shutting them down. What we will do is pressure Peyton...play off and force short throws and come up and tackle. Hope to force them into mistakes and most of all try to keep the ball away with sustained drives that end up in the endzone and not with FG. Thats it....no magic...no genius..just the only thing you can do against a juggernaut offense. Its what all teams do against high powered offenses. Its exactly what Baltimore did to them in the postseason to Denver and NE's high powered offense.

Oh....and to answer the whoever thinks one player or other is Peyton's favorite receiver......its pretty obvious its the one that is open! Plain and simple.

Butler on Wes Welker

Toler on Eric Decker

My fantasy teams hope Toler covers Welker.  My brain that wants the Colts to win hope you're correct.  I'd probably put Bethea on Julius Thomas though.  Angerer can't handle him.