Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The problem with Kelvin Hayden's deal is the bonus money.

bayone

The problem with Kelvin Hayden's deal is the bonus money. Back in February, I advocated cutting him because it was unclear how the $7.1 million in unpaid bonus money would be accounted for. There was a chance Indy would have it wiped out entirely. Now, however, cutting outright just doesn't save enough cap space. His $8 million+ cap hit would be reduced to the total outstanding bonus money, meaning Indy would only save about $1 million but cutting him. If they rework his deal to a smaller salary, he can get paid MORE in Indy than he would as a free agent, but still save the Colts cash. It doesn't matter what Hayden is worth right now. What matters is creating cap room, and cutting him just doesn't save as much as a restructuring might.

My link

I've been saying since January that Kelvin Hayden needs to have his contract re-structured. There is NO reason to pay someone that much $$$ for mediocre play. He has been good in the past and he could be in the best form of his career this season, but that remains to be seen. Restructure his contract and put performance bonuses as the primary $$$ portion of it. maybe $2M as a base salary with the ability to make $5M or something to that affect.

I've been saying since January that Kelvin Hayden needs to have his contract re-structured. There is NO reason to pay someone that much $$$ for mediocre play. He has been good in the past and he could be in the best form of his career this season, but that remains to be seen. Restructure his contract and put performance bonuses as the primary $$$ portion of it. maybe $2M as a base salary with the ability to make $5M or something to that affect.

saying someone should restructure their contract doesn't make any sense when there is no motivation for the player to do so. why would a player take less money?

The problem with Kelvin Hayden's deal is the bonus money. Back in February, I advocated cutting him because it was unclear how the $7.1 million in unpaid bonus money would be accounted for. There was a chance Indy would have it wiped out entirely. Now, however, cutting outright just doesn't save enough cap space. His $8 million+ cap hit would be reduced to the total outstanding bonus money, meaning Indy would only save about $1 million but cutting him. If they rework his deal to a smaller salary, he can get paid MORE in Indy than he would as a free agent, but still save the Colts cash. It doesn't matter what Hayden is worth right now. What matters is creating cap room, and cutting him just doesn't save as much as a restructuring might.

My link

The other element is that his 2009 5yr 43M deal carried 22M in guaranteed money, about all of which has been paid. Since he was injured last year the team has a 22M for 1yr CB and that ain't gonna stand. Bob Sanders all over again. The team will get use out of him in 2011. Period. He's not going anywhere and is a must-excel at his position player this year. Over the last two years of his contract (2012 and 2013) he'd be due another 14M. I can see him being released for cap reasons after this season unless he comes out of nowhere to become an elite corner. In this market corrected NFL 6-7M per buys a lot of football player.....and he's got a ways to go to merit that kind of expenditure.

Hayden isn't mediocre, he is decent. I do consider him a starter in the NFL, but not at the price he is getting. He is a solid player, but he is getting paid way too much

Man is paid wayyyyyyy too much. You could get 2 of him on the free agency market for that price.

Hayden isn't mediocre, he is decent. I do consider him a starter in the NFL, but not at the price he is getting. He is a solid player, but he is getting paid way too much

This. I really like Hayden, but it almost seems that since he has a big contract he doesn't care as much now.

This. I really like Hayden, but it almost seems that since he has a big contract he doesn't care as much now.

i agree.

1 thing that puzzles me about Management is WHY give someone a big contract without a large portion of it being performance bonuses. That would keep them 'hungry'. it gives people a Goal to attain instead of getting it all and putting your feet up & kicking back.