Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why do we want to take the ball out of Luck's hands

oldunclemark

This team (D and OL) are not in any way ready to compete for a championship!

We have yet to see how well this team will play together as a unit, and we are still young, so we need to give it time. We are only in week 3 right now. We could look like a completely different team in 8 weeks. Think of it this way; if every player we have reached his full potential, then who would want to play against us?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I think it's quite obvious to everyone that you need to run the ball and can't pass it 70 times a game.

That said, I do understand and agree with part of oldunclemark's point.  Out of all the positions on offense, the running back is the least important.  If we are giving away a first round pick, it would be better spent on a lineman.  In reality, you don't really need to run the ball that much to win.  You don't even need a running back for the purpose of running the ball.  What you need them for is catching and pass blocking.  A short passing game that gets the ball out quickly can have the same effect of the running game.  Unless you have that rare back who can make people look foolish when he runs the ball (AP, McCoy), all running backs are really the same in terms of running the ball. 

The real reason to run the ball in today's nfl is only to set up play action.  As it stands now, you can only accomplish the goals involved with play action by running the ball, so teams will continue to run the ball, as they should.

I think it's a bit much to say that you need a great running game in today's nfl. What  you need is a back who can pass block and catch and can gain 3-4 yards on a carry most of the time.  That is what Richardson can do so he's worth the pick.  In theory, it could have been spent  better, but for now, the Colts got a good deal.

As to the original topic, I was just watching Pro Football Talk on NBCSN and the analyst predicted "Pep Hamilton will turn Luck into Alex Smith - nothing more than a game manager."(paraphrasing)  He was referencing how often Stanford ran the ball, and with the addition of Richardson, predicted the same will happen in Indy. 

I have no idea what the offensive identity will eventually be and do not agree with that analyst, but if the Colts do attempt to play that game, they will quickly learn they do not have the defense to pull it off. 

Bradshaw looked fine last game. If you're that worried about his health, bring in a back like McGahee to shore up the position (like the Browns did.) Don't go and panic and throw high draft picks at the first team willing to deal their starting back because you lost your marginally talented starting back for the season and your owner can't keep his mouth shut. Vick Ballard wasn't the end all, be all of this offense, and neither will Richardson be.  There was no need to make this move. Unless it's Adrian Peterson or we can somehow travel back in time and get prime Barry Sanders, there's no back in this league who can be productive without a decent line in front of them. Last time I checked, that wasn't our strong suit.

your delusional if you think Ballard, McGahee or Bradshaw is equivalent to Richardson.

As to the original topic, I was just watching Pro Football Talk on NBCSN and the analyst predicted "Pep Hamilton will turn Luck into Alex Smith - nothing more than a game manager."(paraphrasing)  He was referencing how often Stanford ran the ball, and with the addition of Richardson, predicted the same will happen in Indy. 

That is the dumbest thing ive ever heard. Luck was hardly a game manager at Stanford with basically no receivers and the same offense.

your delusional if you think Ballard, McGahee or Bradshaw is equivalent to Richardson.

You're delusional if you think Richardson is gonna run any better behind this putrid line than any of the other 3 backs mentioned

PS, you really need to work on your reading comprehension. I said nothing of the such

Offensive line men make easy on Luck...

I don't want to be conservative..we are thinking in the past

I'm amazed we don't see how the NFL has changed....Its like we're trying to turn back the clock...

Trent Richardson is a 2nd year back who didn't run for 1,000 yards behind a better line than we have

that they also put 8 men in the box against him cause they had no passing game.  You need both to be a great team.