Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My Take on the Oakland Game

Archer

I was as disappointed as anyone that the Colts struggled with the Raiders.  However, I can't help but think that a lot of our problems on defense had to do with insufficient prep time for the running QB.  New CBA rules have crammed things so tight that it feels like the Colts are approximately on a par with the 2nd preseason game, as far as preparation for the season goes.  And, since we switched to a 3-4, this seems to be the first running QB we've faced.  So, here are my positive and negative thoughts about the Raider game:

Positives:

• Andrew Luck played very well.  He was accurate and made good decisions.  He could probably take more inititive to change plays and make adjustments (like on 4th and 1), but that'll come.
  • Reggie.  8 targets.  8 receptions.  He's still got it.
  • Ballard and DHB.  Very good games. 
  • The O-line opened holes for the run game, too.
  • Traditional run defense was great.  DMac was stuffed.
  • We took care of the ball and got two interceptions, winning the turnover battle.

Negatives:

• Offensive game plan got very predictable.  The first two drives were great.  Once we got a lead though, you could see us desperately try to assert our power running game.  In came Bradshaw, and the Raiders seemed to know exactly what we were going to do. 
  • A total failure on the containment of Pryor.  Gotta put it on the LBs.  The DBs did well, but they couldn't stick with receivers forever.  Pryor did a great job buying time while keeping his eyes downfield.  We have to get better against the running QBs...fast!
  • Inconsistent on the pass protection.  Luck wasn't running for his life all day, but still too many times.  No comparison to last year, though, IMHO.  Yeah, I know four sacks per game equates to 64 sacks in a season, but it didn't seem like it was the constant pressure we saw last year. 
  • The TEs were not very involved.  They need to become more of a part of the gameplan.

The only thing I would add is that protection of Luck HAS to begin with him throwing away the ball. We say PM do many many times. When was the last time you saw AL just pitch it to the sideline and move on to the next play?

2nd year Luck......16th year Peyton........Just sayin

I was as disappointed as anyone that the Colts struggled with the Raiders.  However, I can't help but think that a lot of our problems on defense had to do with insufficient prep time for the running QB.  New CBA rules have crammed things so tight that it feels like the Colts are approximately on a par with the 2nd preseason game, as far as preparation for the season goes.  And, since we switched to a 3-4, this seems to be the first running QB we've faced.  So, here are my positive and negative thoughts about the Raider game:

I agree with this one as it wasn't just us suffering from the WK1 oopsies it seems. 

The good thing about that game was it tempered my expectation's.     I was guilty of being that kid who knows he was getting that Red Ryder BB gun for Christmas. Then opened up the present and seen a sweater.     Entirely my fault for drinking to much Kool Aid from the offseason free agent bonanza and the simple fact of being Football starved for 8 months.

I'm pretty sure throwing the ball away doesn't take "years" to learn let alone 2. Luck is just stubborn, and I mean that in a positive way, in keeping the play going instead of throwing it away. He seems to believe in his abilities to finish plays even if it takes being hit, rather than just throwing the ball away.

I'm pretty sure throwing the ball away doesn't take "years" to learn let alone 2. Luck is just stubborn, and I mean that in a positive way, in keeping the play going instead of throwing it away. He seems to believe in his abilities to finish plays even if it takes being hit, rather than just throwing the ball away.

i think we're talking about more years to learn when to throw it away, I agree that Luck sometimes suffers from over confidence in his belief to make a play, but that's not a completely bad thing. 

A lot of good points, it is hard to make any judgments until after the first quarter of the season. What I mean is, teams will get better or worse rarely stay the same. Luck was worth whatever he cost to get here and Wayne is a first round Hall of Fame player and a bleed blue Colt for life! I also liked the way Ballard ran, he hits the hole and gets what he can.  

True, but I see him hanging onto the ball to his own detriment almost stubbornly. He was likely schooled on this a great deal this offseason, and I still dont see him throwing it away.

Just saying that the constant oline/protection issues would be lessened by him simply moving to the next play. I do appreciate his ability to make plays when all is failing, but there is a limit.

The only thing I would add is that protection of Luck HAS to begin with him throwing away the ball. We saw PM do many many times. When was the last time you saw AL just pitch it to the sideline and move on to the next play?

I agree, that is what I saw. He needs to have more recognition when and where the blitz is coming from. And needs to either make them pay. Or throw it away