Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Injury notes out Pagano's presser

GoColts8818

Ugh.

I am with you I'll defend players who are unpopular with the fans at times but even I am not defending Mike McGlynn starting...

The only thing I can think of is either due to lost time due to injury Thornton doesn't know the full offense yet or he has looked really bad in practice and the two games, particularly the Browns game, was not reflective of how things have gone in practice. 

I am with you I'll defend players who are unpopular with the fans at times but even I am not defending Mike McGlynn starting...

The only thing I can think of is either due to lost time due to injury Thornton doesn't know the full offense yet or he has looked really bad in practice and the two games, particularly the Browns game, was not reflective of how things have gone in practice. 

Yeah, I haven't been vocal about McGlynn, but I thought Thornton was much better in his limited time in preseason. 

Yeah, I haven't been vocal about McGlynn, but I thought Thornton was much better in his limited time in preseason. 

I agree, there has to be more to this that is going on at practice that we don't see or it's impacting play calling due to Thornton just not having all the plays down yet or something. 

I agree, there has to be more to this that is going on at practice that we don't see or it's impacting play calling due to Thornton just not having all the plays down yet or something.

I'm guessing they feel a little more safe in the veteran McGlynn simply because he's more familiar with the plays.. I believe Thornton will be starting within a few weeks.. I hope.

I'm guessing they feel a little more safe in the veteran McGlynn simply because he's more familiar with the plays.. I believe Thornton will be starting within a few weeks.. I hope.

Yeah that makes sense to a certain extent if you are worried about Thornton's knowledge of the offense.  I will say this you do need to be sure Thornton needs to be ready to go once he goes because you probably can't go back once you do.  Vets don't like being benched for rookies and if he's a starter and struggles pulling Thornton and going back to McGlynn would probably really hurt Thornton's confidence.  So you have to be ready to take Thornton's struggles once you go to him, and as a rookie he's going to have those moments and being will to take those struggles does mean gambling a little bit with Luck's health.  So maybe that's just the reason. 

Yeah that makes sense to a certain extent if you are worried about Thornton's knowledge of the offense.  I will say this you do need to be sure Thornton needs to be ready to go once he goes because you probably can't go back once you do.  Vets don't like being benched for rookies and if he's a starter and struggles pulling Thornton and going back to McGlynn would probably really hurt Thornton's confidence.  So you have to be ready to take Thornton's struggles once you go to him, and as a rookie he's going to have those moments and being will to take those struggles does mean gambling a little bit with Luck's health.  So maybe that's just the reason.

Yes. I guess we will give McGlynn his chance and if he struggles than he really can't say much about getting benched. If Thornton stayed healthy I feel his chances to be starting week one would be very solid.

What bothers me about that is that I think our offensive line will improve as they play together longer. If we're anticipating replacing McGlynn with Thornton, it would make sense to hold off on that change only if McGlynn is actually outplaying Thornton right now. We haven't seen a whole lot of Thornton, but so far he looked better than McGlynn. So throw him out there already.

End of the day, I'm sure Pagano is on top of it. Like I said, I never made a big deal about McGlynn because there was never a clear cut better player on the roster. Based on what I've seen so far, I think Thornton is better. But I'm sure the coaching staff is on top of it.