Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tim Tebow vs Bucs.

Dustin

I still dig Tebow but honestly I have no idea what the Pats are going to do with him. He will be third string for sure and if he comes in as a Qb than Brady can't come back into the game. So maybe they designate him as something else and see if they can line him up next Brady? Bill has us all guessing. He gave him a whole half against the Bucs and it was painful.

Didn't they ditch the emergency qb rules a few seasons ago? I'm pretty sure you can sub in as many qbs as you want now, without penalty.

Reports are that he is making the team, http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1726867-tim-tebow-emerging-as-a-lock-to-make-patriots-roster.

In what capacity? Who knows? But right now is the third string Qb and it does not look like that will change.

It Tebow does make the team, it won't be due to his QB skills.  It will be more due to his "intangibles" or the fact that BB won't want to admit that he was wrong in bringing Tebow in. 

Something is all wrong and I suspect either Belichik has lost his mind or he has a master sneak attack plan. When Teabowl went to the Pats I thought Belichik has something up his sleeve but we see Teabowl being brought in to QB. This just does not add up, period. Does Belichik actaully believe Teabowl stands any chance at this stage of him succeeding? Why not trade with the Giants for Curtis Painter?! 

I believe he will make the team, but I dont think he will sniff the field this season. The only explanation I can gather is that he will be a good preparation player to go against in practice with the 'emergence' of the running quarterback in this league. Similar to how Damon Huard was valuable to the Patriots 10 years ago because of the way he mimicked Peyton Manning in practice before all those great matchups. He even received a game ball after one of the '03/'04 playoff match ups without ever seeing the field...simply because of how important he was in practice preparing the team for what kind of things they might see against Peyton.

God this dude was so awful. I'm not usually one to make thread about 3rd string QBs who are likely to be cut before the season starts, but my god this dude was so terrible tonight. He didn't throw a SINGLE accurate pass in the game (besides a screen that went for -1 yards).

Even if it was just pre-season, that was absolutely horrid. His stat line for this pre-season is:

5/19, for 54 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT (sacked 3 times). 10 carries for 60 yards.

This is from a guy who some people think is starter quality playing against 3rd string defenses.

If you don't mind, Dustin;

I'm forwarding this to Skip Bayless.

BB's plan is this. He goes over the preseason film with Tebow and shows him all the reasons why he's not an NFL style QB. But tells him he can get him on the field if he's willing to help the team and let the QB thing go. I believe practice is closed to reporters from here on out so it's anyone's guess what they'll have him doing from this point forward but I doubt much time will be spent taking snaps.

i've been attacked for years for syaing this, but Tebow is horrendous! always has been. nothing has changed. they all wanted him in Denver.. ya dummies.. he's fantastic.. NOT.

these former college RB/QB stars never make it in the NFL. this is why. this is a whole other ball game.

the next time i hear a Denver fan saying they want Teblow.. i may loose it.

God's going to get you for that,  BC :number1:

BB's plan is this. He goes over the preseason film with Tebow and shows him all the reasons why he's not an NFL style QB. But tells him he can get him on the field if he's willing to help the team and let the QB thing go. I believe practice is closed to reporters from here on out so it's anyone's guess what they'll have him doing from this point forward but I doubt much time will be spent taking snaps.

Seems legit.

Honestly I think he clears waivers and they resign him to the practice squad. They use him to help game plan against the Kapernicks, RGIII, Cam's out running the read option...you have to admit...however poorly he throws...he can run the read option probably as well if not better than anyone. The chances he ever would see the field again as a starting qb were slim to none anyways because Tom is about as much an iron man as they come and with that OL he likely won't get his jersey wrinkled most games.

Honestly I thought he would work well in Jacksonville because I think him and MJD would be a perfect combo to run the read option...MJD is perfect for that kind of attack...and Jacksonville isn't going anywhere anyways...but such is life. It was hard to watch...and I will be honest...if NE can't find a niche for the guy no one can. With the ball in his hands running he is certainly capable...but an offense would have to be designed around him to include passing plays he is capable of running and that isn't going to happen.

I believe he will make the team, but I dont think he will sniff the field this season. The only explanation I can gather is that he will be a good preparation player to go against in practice with the 'emergence' of the running quarterback in this league. Similar to how Damon Huard was valuable to the Patriots 10 years ago because of the way he mimicked Peyton Manning in practice before all those great matchups. He even received a game ball after one of the '03/'04 playoff match ups without ever seeing the field...simply because of how important he was in practice preparing the team for what kind of things they might see against Peyton.

This... the more I hear this thought the more sense it makes. The Patriots don't have anyone else (Edelman maybe?) who can mimic the mobile QBs in the NFL. 

Also definitely a possibility. Belichick wouldn't have revealed any clandestine plans during the media-attended sessions. 

Honestly I think he clears waivers and they resign him to the practice squad. 

They can't... he has too much service time to be eligible for the practice squad. It's either the 53-man roster or he's cut. (He doesn't have to be active on any Sundays to remain on the roster, though.)

They can't... he has too much service time to be eligible for the practice squad. It's either the 53-man roster or he's cut. (He doesn't have to be active on any Sundays to remain on the roster, though.)

Yikes...that is bad news. I just don't know how they could keep him on the roster. Love the kids heart and believe he could be successful limitedly in certain situations but I just haven't seen anything to suggest he would be valuable enough to keep on the roster over someone that could contribute. It would be different if we were talking about Philly's 3rd stringer or Jets but there is little chance he sees the field if he is a third stringer. Tom doesn't come out and is very reliable healthwise. To give a roster spot to someone that is almost surely not going to play is hard in this league...especially for a team that will be playing a lot of young guys this year on offense. I would like to see them just use him as a RB on some plays...put Tom and him back there in shot gun and have him run some direct snaps or see if he could learn to pick up pass protection...do some down hill running..with the ball in his hands he can make things happen but his passing has regressed...he actually was better in Denver when he was just winging it. I think the more coaching just makes him worse. Who knows...great college qb but he would have to have a whole offense set up for him like in college for him to have much success in the nfl....and i don't see any team willing to risk their careers for that.

Yikes...that is bad news. I just don't know how they could keep him on the roster. Love the kids heart and believe he could be successful limitedly in certain situations but I just haven't seen anything to suggest he would be valuable enough to keep on the roster over someone that could contribute. It would be different if we were talking about Philly's 3rd stringer or Jets but there is little chance he sees the field if he is a third stringer. Tom doesn't come out and is very reliable healthwise. To give a roster spot to someone that is almost surely not going to play is hard in this league...especially for a team that will be playing a lot of young guys this year on offense. I would like to see them just use him as a RB on some plays...put Tom and him back there in shot gun and have him run some direct snaps or see if he could learn to pick up pass protection...do some down hill running..with the ball in his hands he can make things happen but his passing has regressed...he actually was better in Denver when he was just winging it. I think the more coaching just makes him worse. Who knows...great college qb but he would have to have a whole offense set up for him like in college for him to have much success in the nfl....and i don't see any team willing to risk their careers for that.

I'm right there with you. I'd like to see him somehow make the team, but am not sure if the 3rd QB slot is worth a roster spot. Especially when they like to carry so much depth at certain positions. I believe his contract is the veteran minimum with no guaranteed money, so it's not cap space, it's the actual roster spot.

Think he can learn how to long snap?  ;) 

For whatever reason, I have a feeling they're going to hold onto him. Maybe Bill has something in mind, maybe not. He can certainly increase his value by doing anything they ask him to do... special teams... scout team stuff... picking up coffee... helping Belichick set his SUV's clock... etc. 

I'm right there with you. I'd like to see him somehow make the team, but am not sure if the 3rd QB slot is worth a roster spot. Especially when they like to carry so much depth at certain positions. I believe his contract is the veteran minimum with no guaranteed money, so it's not cap space, it's the actual roster spot.

For whatever reason, I have a feeling they're going to hold onto him. Maybe Bill has something in mind, maybe not. He can certainly increase his value by doing anything they ask him to do... special teams... scout team stuff... picking up coffee... helping Belichick set his SUV's clock... etc. 

I am not sure there is a 52 or 53 player better than him to be honest on any team in the NFL. Like you said maybe the long snapper who is usually #53 on any squad. He is worth it to keep given the low investment and his skillset.

Well he could be a team ambassador or something....a spokesman...he certainly has a great attitude and personality. I think they thought they could mold him into something...even if he would never be a 70% passer (i mean AL was only 55% last year) they thought perhaps get him in to read defenses...hit those short quick routes...and most importantly run the ball. That said it just doesn't seem he can read the defenses..and anything outside of scrambling or improvising he struggles. Guy is an incredible athlete...extremely hard working and motivated but lacks that ability to read defenses....you know what...neither could a lot of qbs that supposedly COULD throw the ball. To me he isn't any worse than any of those guys but that still doesn't mean he will make the team. He needs a lot of work and actual playing time. I hate to say it but the CFL would probably suit him better. He needs reps....not watching. I agree that he would be great for preparation in practice for those mobile qbs and certainly they could throw him out there for a play or two a game but you wouldn't want the ball out of Brady's hands so I see it very unlikely. Great kid...hope something good happens for him. Maybe go to africa as a missionary and play some rugby...idk but the nfl could use some more role models...or at least promote some others instead of focusing on the negatives we see in the news.

I see the value of him being on the practice squad to mimic the mobile QBs, but I do not think Tebow is available for the practice squad even if he went through waivers.  

If Tebow would have just checked his ego at the door and converted to a TE or a H-Back type of player he could have some real value in the league.  The guy is a pretty good guy, good teammate and works hard even though that is not shown in his QB skills so he could contribute in other areas. The problem is he wasted so many season trying and failing at being a QB that he is behind development at other positions.

So is keeping him as a third QB to just practice the one or two times you play a mobile QB really worth it? I am sure you could find another player that fits in another area that would.

I am just glad Tebowmania is dead.

The guy is 26 years old and can barely throw a pass. I don't want him on the roster taking up a spot as the 3rd QB; and if he can't be the 3rd QB ,then he needs to be cut.

eh. 3rd QB is unlikely to play unless both 1st and 2nd go down. (and there can be other options even at that point).

Now you can go with 2 QBs as we did a few years but that is gambling. We had Vinny T at age 40 one year. 

Rule of thumb you carry 3 QBs.

Alas our 3rd QB can also come in on some plays and do something like maybe at the goal line or 4th and short.

So I say just the opposite, that roster spot is more versatile than other 3rd QB spots.

I'll still take him over folks like ..I dunno ..Curtis Painter etc.

I'll give Josh some time to work his passing.  Short money. If I was the GM/Coach.

I like Tebow and i also think his decision to go to the Jets has ruined him. He should have gone to Jacksonville. He will either be released at the end of the year or playing in a different position. I think he'll probably turn in to a FB.

What ruined him with the Jets? I wouldn't call virtually never playing ruining someone.

What ruined him with the Jets? I wouldn't call virtually never playing ruining someone.

The Jets said they would use him on way and never did. When he did play they just had him run right up the middle, never utilized his read option skill set. I have never seen a team talk about one player so much and never use them. It was baffling. I think what hurt Tebow is that even when they benched Sanchez they played the third string guy. I think the longer you sit, the more folks forget. 2011 seems like ages ago. But here he is with a chance on the Pats to make the team so good for him. I am certainly rooting for him.

The Jets said they would use him on way and never did. When he did play they just had him run right up the middle, never utilized his read option skill set. I have never seen a team talk about one player so much and never use them. It was baffling. I think what hurt Tebow is that even when they benched Sanchez they played the third string guy. I think the longer you sit, the more folks forget. 2011 seems like ages ago. But here he is with a chance on the Pats to make the team so good for him. I am certainly rooting for him.

Not playing doesn't ruin a player. Aaron Rodgers wasn't ruined behind Farve. Just because he didn't play as much as he may have been promised, which I don't know how much he was promised, doesn't compromise his skills moving forward.

It also doesn't matter that people may forget, it's your job to remind them whenever your next chance comes. He hasn't done that thus far with the Pats. I would go as far as saying he's made more people forget 2011 with his play this preseason.

Not playing doesn't ruin a player. Aaron Rodgers wasn't ruined behind Farve. Just because he didn't play as much as he may have been promised, which I don't know how much he was promised, doesn't compromise his skills moving forward.

It also doesn't matter that people may forget, it's your job to remind them whenever your next chance comes. He hasn't done that thus far with the Pats. I would go as far as saying he's made more people forget 2011 with his play this preseason.

I guess we can just disagree on this. He was told by the Jets that he would have a certain role and be able to compete with Sanchez and when Sanchez was benched they didn't play him. This league is all about staying relevant.

I often wonder what might have happened if he stayed in Denver. Fox was committed to buiding the team around him and he suited Fox's run game/conservative approach.

I guess we can just disagree on this. He was told by the Jets that he would have a certain role and be able to compete with Sanchez and when Sanchez was benched they didn't play him. This league is all about staying relevant.

I often wonder what might have happened if he stayed in Denver. Fox was committed to buiding the team around him and he suited Fox's run game/conservative approach.

Well of course you disagree because your making excuses lol. There's no reason Tim couldn't have continued to hone his skills behind Mark, but if he was showing the Jets what he's showing in the preseason this year, I don't blame them for not starting him. He looks awful.

Well of course you disagree because your making excuses lol. There's no reason Tim couldn't have continued to hone his skills behind Mark, but if he was showing the Jets what he's showing in the preseason this year, I don't blame them for not starting him. He looks awful.

hmm you need more to disagree with you then:)

QB coming in for a couple plays doesn't bode well for getting in a groove, improving, etc etc.

hmm you need more to disagree with you then:)

QB coming in for a couple plays doesn't bode well for getting in a groove, improving, etc etc.

In the context of one season that's true, but just because he rode the pine doesn't mean his skills declined. Lots of players sit for awhile before hitting the starting lineup. It doesn't mean you regress. Would you say Rodgers was hurt by sitting behind Farve? Because by all accounts he had a lot to work on coming out of college, but he worked them out playing behind Brett.

But Tebow looks like he's always looked so I still maintain nothing was ruined about him. Maybe he didn't get great opportunities, but certainly wasn't devastated by going to New York.

In the context of one season that's true, but just because he rode the pine doesn't mean his skills declined. Lots of players sit for awhile before hitting the starting lineup. It doesn't mean you regress. Would you say Rodgers was hurt by sitting behind Farve? Because by all accounts he had a lot to work on coming out of college, but he worked them out playing behind Brett.

But Tebow looks like he's always looked so I still maintain nothing was ruined about him. Maybe he didn't get great opportunities, but certainly wasn't devastated by going to New York.

No you're right you don't regress. You just don't improve I guess.  Ruined would be over the top.

No you're right you don't regress. You just don't improve I guess. Ruined would be over the top.

That was the only thing I was questioning lol. I just don't feel like going there "ruined" him. No doubt he didn't get the starter experience he may have expected or desired, but that wouldn't equate to him being ruined.

I promise I'm not trying to split hairs haha. I was just asking a poster how he was ruined, because he looks the same to me, for better or worse. Still dynamic running, still a terrible passer :)

I think he'd be in exactly the same position last year in Jacksonville. If he couldn't beat out Sanchez or mcelroy there's no reason to believe he'd have played over Henne or Gabbert. Noone was offering him playing time, so the point is moot.

We'd be arguing over how Jacksonville ruined Tebow is the difference.

That was the only thing I was questioning lol. I just don't feel like going there "ruined" him. No doubt he didn't get the starter experience he may have expected or desired, but that wouldn't equate to him being ruined.

I promise I'm not trying to split hairs haha. I was just asking a poster how he was ruined, because he looks the same to me, for better or worse. Still dynamic running, still a terrible passer :)

I agree that ruined is probably too strong as well but they certainly did not help him and did hurt him in the process.

FYI - he did not play at all last night for the Pats so we will see what that means as cuts are looming ....

I agree that ruined is probably too strong as well but they certainly did not help him and did hurt him in the process.

FYI - he did not play at all last night for the Pats so we will see what that means as cuts are looming ....

All I contested was him being ruined by the Jets lol. Certainly they didn't help advance him, but the way he's looked so far is how he's always looked. Great catching a backpedaling D, but wildly inaccurate. He's going to have to learn how to improve while sitting on the bench, or being the 3rd QB. Because in NE, that's what he's going to be/be doing.

It's not a knock, it's just who he is. He can't change his stripes that drastically at this point IMO. That's why you need a group of coaches and owners who are willing to take the good with the bad, and take a chance with Tebow. Is that out there? I don't know. I know it's not with the Pats as long as Bill and Tom are around. But does he get cut? Naw, I think they've made a commitment to Tim to try and find him a place with this team, at least for this season, and if he thrives in another capacity than QB, they will keep him around.