Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How many fans were coaches on the NFL level?

dn4192

Based on what you see on the field. This is an opinion forum, not a forum with a fact finding mission. If you are looking for facts, then you will just have to be satisfied with the numbers on the field and what they spew as coach speak / GM speak on podiums.

Fans give opinions based on what they see on the field, that is what the forum is for. You are entitled to yours just as others are, we all have to just tolerate it and engage in discussion based on it. No one party is always right because both sides have just that, opinions. But one can have an intelligent discussion if the points are made out well. Some choose to see the glass half full, some choose to see the glass half empty, that is all :).

Well said, opinion, insight, discussion is what the boards are for

That said, I do agree with OP

Because we really do not have full knowledge of what is really happening, it often surprises me to read opinions heatedly in favor of major change...........often. slash and burn slash and burn slash and burn

I sometimes wonder what it it like to work for these people. Do they still have employees or are they all fired all the time?

Finally, there are some great football heads on here who take the time to explain what they see as the issues and what they see as solutions. Well thought out and supported opinions.... have more sway with me.

The rest, at least to me, is just fans venting frustration.

And I do not think this is a terrible thread. I think it is a good question, good thread

Well said, opinion, insight, discussion is what the boards are for

That said, I do agree with OP

Because we really do not have full knowledge of what is really happening, it often surprises me to read opinions heatedly in favor of major change...........often. slash and burn slash and burn slash and burn

I sometimes wonder what it it like to work for these people. Do they still have employees or are they all fired all the time?

Finally, there are some great football heads on here who take the time to explain what they see as the issues and what they see as solutions. Well thought out and supported opinions.... have more sway with me.

The rest, at least to me, is just fans venting frustration.

And I do not think this is a terrible thread. I think it is a good question, good thread

Of course all of us here are operating within a limited scope of knowledge. The thing is, many of us compare and contrast what we see other franchises doing, other coaches doing, and we look at our beloved team and pause when we notice such glaring disparities. For years Colts fans have been well aware that Irsay and Polian run their club quite out of the box.

Now that we're losing, badly, we have to question if our club operates too far out of the box. We have to ask, would this club have even made the playoffs in the last 12 years without the greatest quarterback to ever play the game? Is that what it takes for this "system" to function, the greatest QB ever? Really?

If the answer is yes, then......really? Maybe that signifies a greater concern than the absence of Manning. We can spew out all the metaphors we can be creative enough to conjure, but no metaphor explains what has been exposed more than to say "It takes the greatest QB to ever play the game to make this coach, this GM, this franchise win into the post-season".

I'm sure Caldwell's daily grind is far more than most of us could handle. As well, I'm sure his decisions and duties are above our heads, significantly so.

To reflect back to a metaphor I used earlier in this thread;

I cannot fly a plane, I don't know how to. When I am a passenger, I want a qualified pilot. If a pilot crashes his planes all too often, then he is not a good pilot. But he is still a pilot, more than I. Does this mean I can't point my finger at him and say "YOU SUCK AS A PILOT YOU PLANE CRASHING DIPSTICK"!

I continue to read stuff here about how the Colts should do this, or have done that, or fired this guy or signed that guy. And yes I understand as Fans we 'think' we know it all or at least more then those in charge. But isn't it easy for us to sit here and critique the team without having full knowledge of what is actually happening?

Coach Caldwell is that you?The fans pay the bills therefore they can say whatever the heck they want.That comes with the priviledge of making a hundred times more than the average man or woman.

I see. Clearly dn4192 has never felt the need to express his OPINION about something he cares about. Oh wait...he did so by starting this ignorant thread. It is your OPINION that we shouldn't post our opinions...flying directly in the face of what you're saying. Unless you know each of us "professionally" ...what gives you the right to scrutinize our opinions? Id fathom a guess that you know us to a far lesser degree than most of us understand football. While I don't agree with yours opinion...I support your right to post it as I support everyones right to free speech (God bless America). That being said...if you don't understand football enough to make an intelligent (or at least halfway intelligent) observation about the game...I also support your right to shut the *^!@ up and let those of us that do talk about what we think, what we see, and what we feel. Your view that only someone that does something professionally is allowed to comment on it, might be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard in my life.

I see. Clearly dn4192 has never felt the need to express his OPINION about something he cares about. Oh wait...he did so by starting this ignorant thread. It is your OPINION that we shouldn't post our opinions...flying directly in the face of what you're saying. Unless you know each of us "professionally" ...what gives you the right to scrutinize our opinions? Id fathom a guess that you know us to a far lesser degree than most of us understand football. While I don't agree with yours opinion...I support your right to post it as I support everyones right to free speech (God bless America). That being said...if you don't understand football enough to make an intelligent (or at least halfway intelligent) observation about the game...I also support your right to shut the *^!@ up and let those of us that do talk about what we think, what we see, and what we feel. Your view that only someone that does something professionally is allowed to comment on it, might be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard in my life.

CHEF, just served up a 5 star meal!