Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This is why I love Andrew Luck

Guest TeamLoloJones

Guest TeamLoloJones

"That is a highlight play for all time." Was that an impressive feat? Sure, it was & yes I realize that most games are decided by 5 or 6 key plays that must be made at crucial times in order to secure a victory. However, that quote, to my dismay, also reminds me of highlight reels televised on ESPN during the basketball season. Just because Blake Griffin is a dunking machine, it doesn't necessarily mean that the Clippers actually won their game either.

Sorry to mix sports here, but my point is this: Don't get so preoccupied with highlights that you lose sight of what really matters...Winning the darn game...

Stanford won  :thmup:

I love the commentary by Petros Papadakis..He has this annoying, loud mouthed voice..but he is so entertaining on his show Petros and Money out here on the West Coast. He made me laugh when he almost busted out laughing as he said it looks like Luck just stands there looking at him before he takes off again...

Watching that highlight reel does make you realize that a leopard cannot change their spots. Translation: If Luck doesn't shy away from contact because it is who he is, that's a hard habit to break, but he must alter his craving for contact. Toughness in this league is proven best by staying healthy & starting for 16-20 weeks. Consecutive starting streaks goes a long way to validating a QB's legacy along with shiny hardware on their hand too.

Yes I know, a field general cannot play scared or timid, but living to fight another down without a concussion keeps the Colts on the path to the Promiseland too. Being smart means that you don't go looking to collide with a LB or DE. Sometimes, the best move is just to throw the ball away. It took Brett Favre, the QB with the most consecutive starts under his belt, forever to learn that lesson. I don't want Luck to repeat that same mistake either. 

Guest TeamLoloJones

Watching that highlight reel does make you realize that a leopard cannot change their spots. Translation: If Luck doesn't shy away from contact because it is who he is, that's a hard habit to break, but he must alter his craving for contact. Toughness in this league is proven best by staying healthy & starting for 16-20 weeks. Consecutive starting streaks goes a long way to validating a QB's legacy along with shiny hardware on their hand too.

Yes I know, a field general cannot play scared or timid, but living to fight another down without a concussion keeps the Colts on the path to the Promiseland too. Being smart means that you don't go looking to collide with a LB or DE. Sometimes, the best move is just to throw the ball away. It took Brett Favre, the QB with the most consecutive starts under his belt, forever to learn that lesson. I don't want Luck to repeat that same mistake either. 

I'm pretty sure that none of us want Luck taking hits like that or drilling DBs like in the hightlights, but you have to admit, it's hard not to have a smile on your face after watching Andrew pretend he's a linebacker.

I don't know. That tackle saved a touchdown in a tie game. If Luck doesn't stop him, he's probably going in. And there's no half-speed tackling, either you do it or get out of the way. I prefer to see him make the play there, especially since he obviously knows how to do it properly.

If it's a choice between losing a game and losing Luck for an extended period of time I'll take losing the game.  I know he didn't get hurt on this play and he's not going to get hurt every time he does this either.  However this is one of those things you either do or don't do, and trust me I am glad Luck has the attitude that he wants to do it to try to help the team, and sooner or later that's the kind of play that will get your QB hurt and hurt badly in this league.  Again I love the attitude from Luck, I am just not crazy about putting his health at risk.

If it's a choice between losing a game and losing Luck for an extended period of time I'll take losing the game.  I know he didn't get hurt on this play and he's not going to get hurt every time he does this either.  However this is one of those things you either do or don't do, and trust me I am glad Luck has the attitude that he wants to do it to try to help the team, and sooner or later that's the kind of play that will get your QB hurt and hurt badly in this league.  Again I love the attitude from Luck, I am just not crazy about putting his health at risk.

Can't keep him in bubble wrap. There are certain risks inherent to the game of football. I wouldn't want my quarterback playing recklessly, but I also wouldn't want him to let the other team score if he can help it. I think an instinctive football play like that is just part of the game.

Can't keep him in bubble wrap. There are certain risks inherent to the game of football. I wouldn't want my quarterback playing recklessly, but I also wouldn't want him to let the other team score if he can help it. I think an instinctive football play like that is just part of the game.

No you can't but there is a difference in exposing him to necessary risk and unnecessary risk.  This is an unnecessary risk for a franchise QB to take IMO.  All it's going to take is one of those plays to result in a broken collar bone or an injury to his throwing arm for people to scream what on earth were the coaches doing and forget about all the other plays he made doing that kind of thing. 

I also agree it's an instinctive football play which is why I say I love that he has it in him to do it and more importantly wants to do it because it shows me he'll do anything to help the team win.  I would just like the coaches to work with him and say hey is this the best thing you can be doing in these situations. 

I am not going to lose my mind over it but I do cringe a little bit when I see Luck do these kinds of things. 

No you can't but there is a difference in exposing him to necessary risk and unnecessary risk.  This is an unnecessary risk for a franchise QB to take IMO.  All it's going to take is one of those plays to result in a broken collar bone or an injury to his throwing arm for people to scream what on earth were the coaches doing and forget about all the other plays he made doing that kind of thing. 

I also agree it's an instinctive football play which is why I say I love that he has it in him to do it and more importantly wants to do it because it shows me he'll do anything to help the team win.  I would just like the coaches to work with him and say hey is this the best thing you can be doing in these situations. 

I am not going to lose my mind over it but I do cringe a little bit when I see Luck do these kinds of things. 

I cringe too. I just think it's a part of the game. I'd tell him to try to keep himself out of harm's way, but I wouldn't try to keep him from making plays that are there to be made. It is football, after all. 

I cringe too. I just think it's a part of the game. I'd tell him to try to keep himself out of harm's way, but I wouldn't try to keep him from making plays that are there to be made. It is football, after all. 

Yeah like I said I am not upset when it happens just makes me cringe some too and wish he wouldn't do with that said I am not exactly screaming at my TV "Dang it Luck what on earth are you doing?!?!?!?!" when he does it either. 

Guest TeamLoloJones

Didn't he pat him on the head and tell him "good hit!" in a kindly manner? Or was that a different hit?

I think that could be a reason he's gained so much respect from defensive players after just one season.  Most guys after getting rocked either lay there for a teammate to help them up, or have to get in their face and act all tough after they just got blasted.  Luck makes an effort to tell the guy who hit him "good hit".  Its amazing the respect he gets from guys not on our team.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Didn't he pat him on the head and tell him "good hit!" in a kindly manner? Or was that a different hit?

Remember the Thursday night Jags game?  Luck scrambled to the sideline and was sliding and got nailed helmet to helmet.  A few Colts players got in the Jags player's face, and Luck broke it up and pulled them back to the huddle.  That was a sign of true leadership.

Another good video of him.  Never heard him mic'd up.  Course it was off the NFL top 100 players video.  Idk if anyone else has seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPLD-T8WDnY

Awesome.  Had not seen this.  Thanks for sharing.  Matter of time before Andrew is in the heads of all these defenders.  Then the "if you can't beat em, join em" mentality will take over and we will have a dynasty on our hands here in Indy.  Oh yeah..... the salary cap.  At least we'll always have Luck.  Right? 

Guest TeamLoloJones

I'm impressed. He seems like the complete football player.

Couldn't be a nicer or more humble kid either.  We got a keeper that's for sure.

Giselle is impressed, maybe Andrew can throw it and catch it too!  ;)  I like this one handed catch tape because of all the announcer bantor and the final overturn of the on field incomplete call. :)

Luck channeling his inner Reggie haha.