Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why do Rookies Report Early?

Smonroe

Just for the sake of a new topic. I know they need to get started on the playbook, but so do all the other players who weren't on the team last year. Does it really take a couple days to teach them the team rules?

I can't remember if any season of Hard Knocks showed what they did with them for a couple days. It's not like they can practice.

Just curious.

It is the same way in college to. Even on my D-2 athletic team the freshman reported to school 2 weeks before the rest of the team. I think it is just to help the rookies/freshman adjust to a new lifestyle more than a playbook.

Everyone needs to report! Had enough guys get in trouble since ota's sheesh, heh

Lefeged is the only one who got in trouble. Not that I advocate PEDs, but at least Saunders got suspended for cheating to enhance his performance. Brazill got suspended for being stupid enough to get caught twice.

None of them were rookies. But I agree, it seems to me that all the players should report at the same time. Rookie or not, they're all high paid professionals, not college students who need coddling to get them through their day.

You're trying to give them a couple of extra days where the coaches and the rest of the support staff can give them a level of attention that will be more difficult once everyone else has arrived...

To answer questions,  and to ask a few....      

Play book,  rule book,   living arrangements,   etc....      Rookies need extra attention at pretty much everything....

Here is what the Buccaneers are doing with their rookies when they scheduled to report before the veterans report and camp officially starts:

"The Bucs are exercising an option to bring in 28 rookie and first-year players ahead of the July 24 official start of camp, according to the team.

The early work will give rookies important reps and coaching attention they may not get after the rest of the team reports."

The structure of that rookie-only first week mirrors the first week of training camp proper. That is, only conditioning is allowed on the first day, with non-padded practices permitted on the second and third days. The rookies may put on pads on the fourth day of that week, "- Buccaneers official website

Here is what the Buccaneers are doing with their rookies when they scheduled to report before the veterans report and camp officially starts:

"The Bucs are exercising an option to bring in 28 rookie and first-year players ahead of the July 24 official start of camp, according to the team. The week will parallel the first days of training camp, with conditioning on the first day, and no pads the second and third days.

The early work will give rookies important reps and coaching attention they may not get after the rest of the team reports."

Pretty much what I thought. The Colts have up to 20 rookies, depending on when Werner signs and if McNary is allowed to report. It's actually an advantage to some, like Moore, who are competing with guys who weren't with the Colts last year.

Just for the sake of a new topic. I know they need to get started on the playbook, but so do all the other players who weren't on the team last year. Does it really take a couple days to teach them the team rules?

I can't remember if any season of Hard Knocks showed what they did with them for a couple days. It's not like they can practice.

Just curious.

if im not mistaken pretty much the whole offense needs to learn the new play book as it is a new system being ran. only ones that really dont need to learn it is Luck,Fleener and Whalen. 

One last thought.....

Remember,  that while everyone has been to the Colts' team facility,  only the veterans have been out to training camp at Anderson.

So,  the Rookies and 1st year guys have to get acclimated with the new place.    I realize that might not seem like much,  these are grown me and they're bright and all...   but even those guys can get lost,  get turned around,  get confused during the first few days...

You're trying to break them in as gently as possible....    because once the Big Boys show up and the pads go on,  then we're playing for keeps!     :thmup:

One last thought.....

Remember,  that while everyone has been to the Colts' team facility,  only the veterans have been out to training camp at Anderson.

So,  the Rookies and 1st year guys have to get acclimated with the new place.    I realize that might not seem like much,  these are grown me and they're bright and all...   but even those guys can get lost,  get turned around,  get confused during the first few days...

You're trying to break them in as gently as possible....    because once the Big Boys show up and the pads go on,  then we're playing for keeps!     :thmup:

I don't remember where I read it but although the rookies report on the 23rd it is in Indy not Anderson, will try to find the link !!

Lefeged is the only one who got in trouble. Not that I advocate PEDs, but at least Saunders got suspended for cheating to enhance his performance. Brazill got suspended for being stupid enough to get caught twice.

None of them were rookies. But I agree, it seems to me that all the players should report at the same time. Rookie or not, they're all high paid professionals, not college students who need coddling to get them through their day.

Yeah was more joking. Even Von miller looks like he may be getting a 4 game suspension.

Well.  They are employees, so they have to fill out their tax forms, insurance forms, etc.  I believe all employers (pretty much) have an orientation for their new employees.

I would believe that all this type of paper work would be filled out when the contract was signed.  :)