Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Peyton doesnt win a SB this years, next year Denver has 34 free agents, many key players

bayone

some names are, all listed in article

Chris Harris CB   projected to be future pro bowler

Eric Decker WR

Britton Colquitt P

Zane Beadles OG- pro bowl last year

Wesley Woodyard LB , Major tackler and D star last season

Trindon Holliday Returner, WR

J.D. Walton  Starting Center,  just had surgery expected back this season

Robert Ayers new starting DE

many others , starters and key rotational players

besides

all the Vets signed to 1 year contracts that may prove valuable for long term

'

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/7/20/4541226/woodyard-decker-among-broncos-seeking-deals-beyond-2013

& the year after 

Thomas, Demaryius & Von Miller

and others

Wow. That is a lot. They are def. all in year this year ... I guess it makes sense but if I was a Denver fan, I would have to come to terms with the fact that the team will be in complete rebuild mode when Manning goes. Of course, if they do manage to get the ring then all is good until the following off-season ... ha,ha.

Wow. That is a lot. They are def. all in year this year ... I guess it makes sense but if I was a Denver fan, I would have to come to terms with the fact that the team will be in complete rebuild mode when Manning goes. Of course, if they do manage to get the ring then all is good until the following off-season ... ha,ha.

agree  but u dont have to laugh at another teams misfortunes,  ha ha  HOWEVER, my friendly troll ( LOL ) i surely realize there are a QUITE MANY ON THIS SITE, SW1 and others u know & myself   arent one of  the many that are feasting when Pats have issues

so in a way i do understand your comments as many dop it to pat misfortunes, all depends on whose level u want to be on

'

Real busy today in Prep for real busy Monday

Have a great one

BUT YEAH 34 free agents , i saw that and took a double take 

BTW here is an analysis from DENVER POST  on why KC & Denver may both end up at 11-5 & meet for 3rd time in playoffs ( see aarticle below ) ,

esp when DEnvers easy schedule based on last year team won loss includes a much improved KC thats used twice oin strength of sched computation distorting it, jyus like Colts went from 2 & 14 to 11 wins, so preseason strength of sched dont always matter

2  major differences in scg hed

The Chiefs play the 5-11 Browns and the 6-10 Bills.

The Broncos also play the 10-6 Ravens (remember them?) and the 12-4 Patriots

Chiefs could cause Broncos some trouble this season

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_23701351/chiefs-could-cause-broncos-some-trouble-this-season

now most go , have great day

Good thing for all of us here when Peyton retires our ties to Denver end. haha

agree but u dont have to laugh at another teams misfortunes, ha ha HOWEVER, my friendly troll ( LOL ) i surely realize there are a QUITE MANY ON THIS SITE, SW1 and others u know & myself arent one of the many that are feasting when Pats have issues

so in a way i do understand your comments as many dop it to pat misfortunes, all depends on whose level u want to be on

'

Real busy today in Prep for real busy Monday

Have a great one

BUT YEAH 34 free agents , i saw that and took a double take

BTW here is an analysis from DENVER POST on why KC & Denver may both end up at 11-5 & meet for 3rd time in playoffs ( see aarticle below ) ,

esp when DEnvers easy schedule based on last year team won loss includes a much improved KC thats used twice oin strength of sched computation distorting it, jyus like Colts went from 2 & 14 to 11 wins, so preseason strength of sched dont always matter

2 major differences in scg hed

The Chiefs play the 5-11 Browns and the 6-10 Bills.

The Broncos also play the 10-6 Ravens (remember them?) and the 12-4 Patriots

Chiefs could cause Broncos some trouble this season

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_23701351/chiefs-could-cause-broncos-some-trouble-this-season

now most go , have great day

Ravens and Pats are wins for Denver. Both teams suffered heavy losses this summer. Not competition this year IMO. Regardless of Billy Boy.

Chiefs will compete, however, will fall.

Well... Those are a lot of names, but Not many of therm are MUST re-signs. Obviously, Demaryius Thomas and Von Miller need contracts.  Other than them, it's Decker, Harris, Zane Beadles, and MAYBE Robert Ayers.  Only ones who will require big contracts, IMO, are Thomas, Miller, and I guess Decker. 

Waldon is solid, but nothing to write home about and was easily replaced by Koppen (who actually looked better) so, I'm sure finding a replacement for him wouldn't be that hard.  Holliday is a kick returner with fumble-itis.  I'm not sure it will be very hard to resign him.

Also, I'm not sure what Chris Kuper's contract situation is, but he's better than Beadles, and they have Vasquez now as well.  They can afford to let Beadles walk.

Yes, when Peyton goes, the Bronco's are gonna have some issues, but I think that's the plan. Sell out for success now, and try to mitigate the losses after he leaves. Keep in mind, once he retires, they will have a ton of cap room to re-build their team. (Kind of like we did)

Well... Those are a lot of names, but Not many of therm are MUST re-signs. Obviously, Demaryius Thomas and Von Miller need contracts.  Other than them, it's Decker, Harris, Zane Beadles, and MAYBE Robert Ayers.  Only ones who will require big contracts, IMO, are Thomas, Miller, and I guess Decker. 

Waldon is solid, but nothing to write home about and was easily replaced by Koppen (who actually looked better) so, I'm sure finding a replacement for him wouldn't be that hard.  Holliday is a kick returner with fumble-itis.  I'm not sure it will be very hard to resign him.

Also, I'm not sure what Chris Kuper's contract situation is, but he's better than Beadles, and they have Vasquez now as well.  They can afford to let Beadles walk.

Yes, when Peyton goes, the Bronco's are gonna have some issues, but I think that's the plan. Sell out for success now, and try to mitigate the losses after he leaves. Keep in mind, once he retires, they will have a ton of cap room to re-build their team. (Kind of like we did)

Demaryius Thomas and Von Miller   are the following year, see 2015 article below

In various articles I had read while negotiating for Clady, they always said with double injury to same site to kuper ( though Walton saame issue ) If they drop kuper and Mays can get alot of money on cap esp if done this year

also from what i read Denver Wants Holiday unless he totaly fumbles chances away & if not may be a market for him

aging vets 1 year contract if prove good and not that old may try for another year or 2

also many of those lessor known names Denver staff holds in high regards as Del Rio has alot of packages and uses each strength so do want to kep many u would think not

& on Offense they really like late signed last year pickup of  RB/FB Hestor or can split wide and can block too, he came on late so learned system late last year but love work ethic and Versatility

Thats a key for m,any of these players, Denver loves the versatile ones , Manny Ramirez is bad but is Emerg OG & CENTER & denver likes that

DENVER IS HOPING FOR THIS for 1st time in 8 years I belive Broncos have same DC for 2 years in a row, the last that had 2 consecutive years was LARRY COYER WHO WE GOT FOR AWHILE THANK U CALDWELL

HERE are the 22 for 2015 the following year that are free agents

Welker, Von Miller< DT, Good ,RT orlando Franklin all  4 TE's ,Dressen, Tamme  & Virgil Green who came on at seasons end &   yet another TE Julius Thomas  , this is first year healthy so far after starting good in rookie year a few back, CHmap Bailey, Quint Carter who if healthy they have high hopes for at safety, DTs starting Vickerson & knighton among lessor name of LBs that Denver actually hope becomes starting mike this year, & lets not forget Rahim Moore who Denver actually loves save for that 1 off play, but they say it doesn't reflect on a great improving season , also oft broken Moreno and others

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/2015/denver-broncos/

so it this year or bust probably and relying on a RB that just may play like a rookie, a cant bllock hillman , broken moreno & hestor and some undrafted FA

& Denver needs a run game to win it , thats  1 reason  i have my doubts, besides lack of healthy depth on OL

LOOKS LIKE COLTS MAY GET SOME GOOD PICKINGS

I wouldn't laugh. How old is Tom Brady?

Ravens and Pats are wins for Denver. Both teams suffered heavy losses this summer. Not competition this year IMO. Regardless of Billy Boy.

Chiefs will compete, however, will fall.

u r more confident than me, i will wait to see if Broncos can run Ball & replace doomervilee and stop TE's when no middle linbacker or safety has yet to , Maybe Jammer can come  down,& do it

to me are alot of ifs, many signings but have to Play As A Team

whomever loses it helps Colts

I fail to see the comparison as the Pats are one of the youngest teams and have much of their talent locked up. They will transition from Brady just fine ...

You're right. The Broncos are in win now mode and it may backfire on them if they don't indeed "win now". I do expect the Patriots to continue contending as long as Belichick is there, even without Brady.

You're right. The Broncos are in win now mode and it may backfire on them if they don't indeed "win now". I do expect the Patriots to continue contending as long as Belichick is there, even without Brady.

i bet the hoodie retires when Brady does

Maybe, but I doubt it. I think he might want to prove that he can get to the big game even without the star QB. Then again, maybe he and Brady have become close enough that he won't want to be there if Brady isn't. We'll find out in a few years I guess.

They have Tebow waiting in the wings.

Lol

Maybe, but I doubt it. I think he might want to prove that he can get to the big game even without the star QB. Then again, maybe he and Brady have become close enough that he won't want to be there if Brady isn't. We'll find out in a few years I guess.

Mallet was highly regarded in College , just had issues so dropped alot, BB may just want to go on with him, esp if has  proven his potential to bb in practice 

Have a good weekend,  Rest of day goes to MOM , bless her getting to 95 this week and the hub bub they gave her with ballons and all she is quite confused, in fact she didnt even realize was her birthday till i told her the day before

That is the thought here in NE that when Brady goes, Bill will goes. But if there is one thing I have learned over the years about Bill it is that you can never figure him out. And he loves coaching so I give it 50/50 that he keeps going after Brady...

That is the thought here in NE that when Brady goes, Bill will goes. But if there is one thing I have learned over the years about Bill it is that you can never figure him out. And he loves coaching so I give it 50/50 that he keeps going after Brady...

wow, with those odds, how could you be wrong.. lmao

The salary situation doesn't reflect them going "all in" with Peyton, it mostly means that they've drafted a lot of good players in a short period of time (while getting vets to accept short term contracts). That's normally considered a good thing, and as long as they continue to draft well they'll be fine. If they lose some that's one of the NFL's parity tools at work - so be it. They just need to make good decisions - keeping in mind the fact that Peyton's presence results in so many extra wins that everyone starts to develop name recognition. That doesn't mean that everyone is irreplaceable.

For instance at this point Decker might be their #4 or #5 receiving option. I sure hope that they don't pay him as if he's a star. I suspect that any decent receiver will shine if playing in that role. Perhaps that fifth round (?) pick this year will take his place. Similarly (as Holden said) they have three good guards. If Kuper is 100%, Beadles probably goes. If Kuper is injured, Beadles probably goes. They will still be better off then they were last year. Not worried much about the punter or fumble-prone kick returner either. The man makes me nervous - just catch the darn ball and hand it to Peyton. People like Woodward will either take a reasonable contract or be replaced (by someone on the roster, who will then be replaced by a draft-pick). They aren't going to cripple the cap for him.

In fact aside from the upcoming pain from Miller and Thomas' contracts, I don't see anything too material.

The salary situation doesn't reflect them going "all in" with Peyton, it mostly means that they've drafted a lot of good players in a short period of time (while getting vets to accept short term contracts). That's normally considered a good thing, and as long as they continue to draft well they'll be fine. If they lose some that's one of the NFL's parity tools at work - so be it. They just need to make good decisions - keeping in mind the fact that Peyton's presence results in so many extra wins that everyone starts to develop name recognition. That doesn't mean that everyone is irreplaceable.

For instance at this point Decker might be their #4 or #5 receiving option. I sure hope that they don't pay him as if he's a star. I suspect that any decent receiver will shine if playing in that role. Perhaps that fifth round (?) pick this year will take his place. Similarly (as Holden said) they have three good guards. If Kuper is 100%, Beadles probably goes. If Kuper is injured, Beadles probably goes. They will still be better off then they were last year. Not worried much about the punter or fumble-prone kick returner either. The man makes me nervous - just catch the darn ball and hand it to Peyton. People like Woodward will either take a reasonable contract or be replaced (by someone on the roster, who will then be replaced by a draft-pick). They aren't going to cripple the cap for him.

In fact aside from the upcoming pain from Miller and Thomas' contracts, I don't see anything too material.

Beadles made pro bowl as substitute and improved last year, but thats also peyton

Right now  Broncos are very worried about kupers long term health

( aside, Broncos OL are d good in pass protection , not for runs, thats why brought in alex gibbs as consultant, they need a complimentary run game )

King the 5th round pick doesnt run routes great, is a pure speed burner with decent size 6-1, 199 pounds  but has high drop rate at this point inj OTA's and in college career ,. if he learns to catch he can be great, easily seperates from CB's going deep so have to play way off him / Decker is a precise riute runnrer , has determination and forced way into endzone at times, still getting better , he may ask to much as Denver has to ensure has $ for dt & miller the following year , its all wait & see

holdayu is feast or famine, nervous , heck yeah untill shows otherwise, thats al he has been practicing, holding onto the ball

another 5th round pick DE Quint Smith if recovers from ACL injury was on way to stardom , but so was CB Bolden last year and was unheard from

Much ado about nothing really.  As long as they have Manning, they'll compete.

I suspect Champ could be a casualty as he ages, as paying 9 million for a 36 year old shut down corner is a stretch.

In any case, I suspect they may need to let some guys go, and bring in less expensive options.  Miller, Thomas, and perhaps Decker are the guys they'll likely look to to keep.

I agree....Cant worry about next year....itll take care of itself

Clady Manning, Welker all return...the young backs are low pay guys

...They have some older players who may retire (like Champ Bailey, who makes big cash) but you cant change the plan.

Signing Manning meant you live for today...and that's the way to be.

..but you've got to be kiddin about Eric Decker being the 4th option...He'll get paid like the 1,000-yard guy he is

and Trindan Holiday ran 4 back for TDs ....the fumble rep didnt really show up in 2012, did it?.

That glass is more than half full, it seems to me

..but you've got to be kiddin about Eric Decker being the 4th option...He'll get paid like the 1,000-yard guy he is

and Trindan Holiday ran 4 back for TDs ....the fumble rep didnt really show up in 2012, did it?.

That glass is more than half full, it seems to me

Don't get me wrong, Decker can play. But with Thomas and Welker on board he's clearly the #3 receiver. And he's arguably less important on any given play than whichever of their abundance of tight ends happens to be out on a pattern with him. That's why I say #4 option. Do you break the salary cap for "that" if things tighten up? I guess it depends if they think he's going to grow into a #1 like the Colts did when Reggie was "the other" receiver. In that case the Colts let Stokely go when they couldn't afford everyone. Maybe they bite the bullet for one year and then let Welker walk. Who knows. I don't look at Decker like I used to look at Wayne, but that doesn't mean that they don't. All offensive decisions must be made with the knowledge that Peyton makes everyone around him look better.

Holiday - I think he lost the first ball that came to him. Look at the stats. He had five fumbles - he just managed to regain four of them. He's exiting - I'll give him that. SOMETHING is going to happen every time he touches the ball, the problem is that it may cost you the ballgame. I'd be happier with someone with a iron grip - even if less explosive. Some teams (Bears in the SB year) treasure their returner because he's about their best chance to score. When you have a top offense, I think it's more important to just not make mistakes and to give the offense as many shots as possible.

Mallet was highly regarded in College , just had issues so dropped alot, BB may just want to go on with him, esp if has  proven his potential to bb in practice 

Have a good weekend,  Rest of day goes to MOM , bless her getting to 95 this week and the hub bub they gave her with ballons and all she is quite confused, in fact she didnt even realize was her birthday till i told her the day before

Happy birthday to you mother.

Transitioning from Brady to Mallet will be a very deft trick and I anxious to see this one. IMO , for that to happen Mallet is going to have to resign and sit for his 5th year and maybe beyond that. He is signed through next year 2014 and will become a free agent , and no doubt will sign with a team that he feels he has an inside tract to win the starting job. Now for this not to be the case , it would mean Brady playing just two more years. This would mean either that his talents eroded or his body gave out. This could happen but I don't think that's Brady's plan and at the very least the Pats would have cap issues ue to that recent extension they gave Brady. 

In any event , I don't think what I have above is not wrong. Mallet will not sit past his 4th year content to be Brady's backup. Brady has no intention of 2014 being his last year. I also believe that the Pats were shopping Mallet as reports indicated and just couldn't get the 2nd rounder they were asking for.

Happy birthday to you mother.

Transitioning from Brady to Mallet will be a very deft trick and I anxious to see this one. IMO , for that to happen Mallet is going to have to resign and sit for his 5th year and maybe beyond that. He is signed through next year 2014 and will become a free agent , and no doubt will sign with a team that he feels he has an inside tract to win the starting job. Now for this not to be the case , it would mean Brady playing just two more years. This would mean either that his talents eroded or his body gave out. This could happen but I don't think that's Brady's plan and at the very least the Pats would have cap issues ue to that recent extension they gave Brady. 

In any event , I don't think what I have above is not wrong. Mallet will not sit past his 4th year content to be Brady's backup. Brady has no intention of 2014 being his last year. I also believe that the Pats were shopping Mallet as reports indicated and just couldn't get the 2nd rounder they were asking for.

'good points

Don't get me wrong, Decker can play. But with Thomas and Welker on board he's clearly the #3 receiver. And he's arguably less important on any given play than whichever of their abundance of tight ends happens to be out on a pattern with him. That's why I say #4 option. Do you break the salary cap for "that" if things tighten up? I guess it depends if they think he's going to grow into a #1 like the Colts did when Reggie was "the other" receiver. In that case the Colts let Stokely go when they couldn't afford everyone. Maybe they bite the bullet for one year and then let Welker walk. Who knows. I don't look at Decker like I used to look at Wayne, but that doesn't mean that they don't. All offensive decisions must be made with the knowledge that Peyton makes everyone around him look better.

Holiday - I think he lost the first ball that came to him. Look at the stats. He had five fumbles - he just managed to regain four of them. He's exiting - I'll give him that. SOMETHING is going to happen every time he touches the ball, the problem is that it may cost you the ballgame. I'd be happier with someone with a iron grip - even if less explosive. Some teams (Bears in the SB year) treasure their returner because he's about their best chance to score. When you have a top offense, I think it's more important to just not make mistakes and to give the offense as many shots as possible.

MAC....

.Decker....maybe No. 3..I agree 

Holliday???..I couldnt disagree more.....

When you have a top team.....a top kick returner puts presure on the other side..You cant keep exchanging punts...

and you have to punt the ball out of bounds.....

.and a fumble that you recover isnt really a fumble...try and be fair to the guy.   He ran back 2 for TDs in the 'money' game

Many NFL return guys play their entire careers and dont run back 4 for TDs.much less in one season

In Denver?..where you tend to over kick coverage???

You will change your mind on this after Holiday runs back 5 or 6 more this year.

They used to say Adrian Peterson fumbled too much, too.  Remember???

MAC....

.Decker....maybe No. 3..I agree 

Holliday???..I couldnt disagree more.....

When you have a top team.....a top kick returner puts presure on the other side..You cant keep exchanging punts...

and you have to punt the ball out of bounds.....

.and a fumble that you recover isnt really a fumble...try and be fair to the guy.   He ran back 2 for TDs in the 'money' game

Many NFL return guys play their entire careers and dont run back 4 for TDs.much less in one season

In Denver?..where you tend to over kick coverage???

You will change your mind on this after Holiday runs back 5 or 6 more this year.

They used to say Adrian Peterson fumbled too much, too.  Remember???

I would be happy to be proved wrong, but much acid will be produced (and teeth ground) in the process of doing so. Are you telling me that you weren't jumping up and cursing with every fumble? He's incredibly lucky that he didn't lose 2-3 which would have gotten him benched or released. The difference is the bounce of the ball, not his talent. And the guy's so small that if he DOESN'T return like a star it's essentially a wasted roster spot. He's a high risk proposition, and it drives me nuts.

Part of this is that in general I just couldn't care less about special teams. I find highlight shows that focus on kick returns (that :censored: Sanders is particularly enthralled with them) to be tedious beyond belief. If you've seen one return, you've seen them all. If I'm watching a pre-recorded game and I'm fast forwarding through a commercial, I might just fast forward through the ensuing kickoff as well - depending on the status of the game of course. There has been a hundred times where the Colts were firing on offense and I've actually rooted for a touchback (or a short return). I wasn't interested in seeing the #7 DB running for his life up the field, I wanted to see Peyton wrack up as many yards as possible.

In short, Holiday is far more likely to torture me with his mistakes than to entertain me with his talent. The ONLY time there is even a hint of a desire on my part to see a big return is the team is behind and running out of time, and they need SOMETHING to happen. The problem is that with Holiday, that "something" may well be a game ending turnover - taking the ball out of Peyton's hands.

I think Decker is going to be an outstanding receiver. Long term, he's much more important to the Broncos than Welker or any tight end they have on the roster now. Whether they want to commit money to him is another story, but his potential and his on-field impact are undeniable.

Im pretty sure about 6/7 guys are going to account for about 1/2 of the cap.

Peyton, Clady, Bailey, Welker, Vaquez, Miller, Kuper account for about 65mill.

Yup.

According to Spotrac, their top 8 contracts will hit the cap for $69.3m next year. Figure on a cap of about $125m, that's about 55% of the cap.

Of course, you'll have 36 year old Champ Bailey, due $1.5m in offseason bonuses, plus a $9m base salary. That's $10.5m that you can cut into right there, depending on what kind of performance he turns in in 2013. I find it hard to believe that he'll be back in 2014 for $10.5m.

They can round the roster out, but they'll have some free agent defections next season, for sure.

I think Decker is going to be an outstanding receiver. Long term, he's much more important to the Broncos than Welker or any tight end they have on the roster now. Whether they want to commit money to him is another story, but his potential and his on-field impact are undeniable.

agree precise route runner, good hands, fights for extra yards esp near end zone and gets in when fought that way last year , 1 example for 5 extra yards with Defenders trying to hold him back & got the TD & thats only 1 year under peytons teaching

Peytons value we all know goes beyond just his passing

Yup.

According to Spotrac, their top 8 contracts will hit the cap for $69.3m next year. Figure on a cap of about $125m, that's about 55% of the cap.

Of course, you'll have 36 year old Champ Bailey, due $1.5m in offseason bonuses, plus a $9m base salary. That's $10.5m that you can cut into right there, depending on what kind of performance he turns in in 2013. I find it hard to believe that he'll be back in 2014 for $10.5m.

They can round the roster out, but they'll have some free agent defections next season, for sure.

Nice leg work there, and precisely what I was thinking.  Basically, they can opt to pay Champ 10+ at the age of 36, or...

Bring in yet another FA CB to round out their squad.  Heck, they could bring in 3 guys at CB for that number, and improve their entire secondary.  Bring in Champ's replacement at about 5/year, the guy opposite him at about 3-4/year, and the nickel guy at 1/year (or draft a solid rookie).

I simply don't see Champ being in the long term plans regardless of how well he does.  Just too much money tied up in a skill position for that age.  If he agrees to a cut at around 5-6, I could maybe see it.  Maybe 10 is way too much, and was likely never in the plans for the long term.

Yup.

Nice leg work there, and precisely what I was thinking.  Basically, they can opt to pay Champ 10+ at the age of 36, or...

Bring in yet another FA CB to round out their squad.  Heck, they could bring in 3 guys at CB for that number, and improve their entire secondary.  Bring in Champ's replacement at about 5/year, the guy opposite him at about 3-4/year, and the nickel guy at 1/year (or draft a solid rookie).

I simply don't see Champ being in the long term plans regardless of how well he does.  Just too much money tied up in a skill position for that age.  If he agrees to a cut at around 5-6, I could maybe see it.  Maybe 10 is way too much, and was likely never in the plans for the long term.

while I like your thinking , basically from all I read Denver is hoping he switches to safety next year, this was talked about by them around draft time & just after , thats why drafted a CB & not a safety it was said too

maybe he would redo contract, who knows 

I am tired of all this offseason crap already, esp the illegal stuff affecting teams quality

Lets get on with the season