Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who Starts in Bullitt's Place?

Superman

I respect Bullitt and wish him well but he's not true SS, can't stop the run, blitz or lay people out like a true SS does. I think Lefeged will be great, he needs to pack on alittle more muscle get up to about 220-225 maintain his speed and smash people. He has great potential, and good speed as we have seen on special teams.

SS's are designed to play in the box, get into the nitty gritty, force fumbles, pressure and wreak havoc on the field. Bullitt plays more like a FS. We all saw what Bob Sanders did for the Colts when he was healthy, he wreaked havoc all over the field. Bullitt just wasn't built to play SS, he would've been a very nice backup to Bethea though as he's more FS material.

It's pretty simple think of SS as a Pitbull while the free safety is Greyhound. Occasionally a team gets lucky and gets a FS like Ed Reed who can do everything and is a guaranteed HOF, or a SS who can do everything like Troy.

I do think the Colts have a very solid FS in Bethea though. He's a keeper.

This is a good question. I think Lefeged offers better pass defense but Caldwell seems better in run support. The Bucs don't offer much of a deep passing threat but they have a good RB tandem with Blount and Graham. So I would not be surprised if Caldwell gets the start because of his run stopping abilities.

I respect Bullitt and wish him well but he's not true SS, can't stop the run, blitz or lay people out like a true SS does. I think Lefeged will be great, he needs to pack on alittle more muscle get up to about 220-225 maintain his speed and smash people. He has great potential, and good speed as we have seen on special teams.

SS's are designed to play in the box, get into the nitty gritty, force fumbles, pressure and wreak havoc on the field. Bullitt plays more like a FS. We all saw what Bob Sanders did for the Colts when he was healthy, he wreaked havoc all over the field. Bullitt just wasn't built to play SS, he would've been a very nice backup to Bethea though as he's more FS material.

It's pretty simple think of SS as a Pitbull while the free safety is Greyhound. Occasionally a team gets lucky and gets a FS like Ed Reed who can do everything and is a guaranteed HOF, or a SS who can do everything like Troy.

You dont need to be 225 to be a good Safety, just like you said look at sanders.. Joe is heavier and taller than sanders. In the media they have Caldwell as the starter but hopefully they're wrong.

You dont need to be 225 to be a good Safety, just like you said look at sanders.. Joe is heavier and taller than sanders. In the media they have Caldwell as the starter but hopefully they're wrong.

I 100% agree. Ed Reed, Bob Sanders, Antoine Bethea, Nick Collins, Troy Polamalu, all barely 200 pounds. Their the last line of defense and I rather they be small than big, because smaller means faster and being faster is better to have then strength when you're a safety.

Except in the Colts D there is really not much of a difference in responsibilities between a SS and a FS.

I 100% agree. Ed Reed, Bob Sanders, Antoine Bethea, Nick Collins, Troy Polamalu, all barely 200 pounds. Their the last line of defense and I rather they be small than big, because smaller means faster and being faster is better to have then strength when you're a safety.

Exactly Ed Reed is a future Hall of Fame saftey he is a perfect example, look at the big safetys like Roy Williams they arent even good in pass defense

Very true, he's actually already pretty sizable strong, athletic guy already.

Except in the Colts D there is really not much of a difference in responsibilities between a SS and a FS.

I think much it has to do with the defensive scheme, but to me Bob Sanders was the epitome of a SS. He definitely was a pitbull and the havoc wreaked on the field was much more noticeable when he was out there. Just wish the guy could've stayed healthy.