Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How do NFL Teams find out about Character?

NewColtsFan

.... a good read from NFL Post.com....

They have a contributor there named Greg Gabriel.   He spent 30 years in the NFL as a scout, I think he ended his last stint in 2010 with the Chicago Bears.

In the wake of the Aaron Hernandez fiasco, he details how scouts do their homework and how decisions are reached on questionable prospects.

Enjoy!       :thmup:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/How-do-NFL-clubs-find-out-about-character.html

.... a good read from NFL Post.com....

They have a contributor there named Greg Gabriel.   He spent 30 years in the NFL as a scout, I think he ended his last stint in 2010 with the Chicago Bears.

In the wake of the Aaron Hernandez fiasco, he details how scouts do their homework and how decisions are reached on questionable prospects.

Enjoy!       :thmup:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/How-do-NFL-clubs-find-out-about-character.html

That's a good read, Interesting to find out about the whole scouting process and how to tell how scouts will judge character.

I don't like the designation "Football Character vs Personal Character." Stick to Football I.Q. & Community Leader Ideals/Qualities.

How are a gifted players ranked in terms of severity of their problems? Is drug addiction worse than sex addiction?  Is a lack of impulse control worse than accepting discipline from an authority figure? Is a gambling fetish worse than a work ethics problem? 

What does a team intervention really entail expert wise on a franchises training staff medically & psychologically? The article barely scratches the surface & it does go deep enough IMO. It's a good start, but that's all it is a start. If we are going to explore this topic, get more in depth. What does sex therapy, alcohol therapy, or gambling therapy really involve & what makes a owner & GM pull the trigger on a troubled player with a checkered past in college? That's what SW1 would like to know personally.