Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

are the patriots in trouble

CR91

Ok, so your issue is with the West. You could not be more wrong. Westerners do not rely heavily on the media to create their opinions and analysis. The blogosphere that developed this past decade is a serious affront to mainstream media. Right now in the US more than 30 percent of all information is written by citizens – you and me. In the next five years, it is expected to reach 50 percent if not higher. No one here is blind to the messages of mainstream media and like you, most understand to take everything they read with a grain of salt.

I would not take comments you read on a chat board on an ESPN article as representative of the West and its thinking on anything.

I am not wrong... believe me. You do realize the vast majority of blogs are based on research sourced from more established media institutions? These are the people who have access and thus these are the people with the first hand information in its purest and most uncontaminated form, but by the time they reach publication, they have often been heavily doctored for shock value, to suit certain interests etc.

Look at Fox News viewing figures, CNN, Sky and BBC news in the UK, the major tabloids etc. They still all have huge followings and on countless occassions (in recent times) have managed to create huge frenzies and trends based on inaccuracies or sensationalism.

These citizen-bloggers you talk about are often either uninformed or misinformed and the amount of truly pure and unbiased media sources in existence are few and far between, because most do not have access and the ones that do often have agendas. I am not saying the do not exist, but they are not reaching the masses.

Most understand to take it with a grain of salt? Wrong. You may engage in relatively intellectual circles who are cognizant, but the fact is the vast majority of the population believe what they read and what they are told by authorities who they believe to be the absolute truth... i.e. mainstream media.

And no, my issue is not directly with the West, it just pertains to this particular example. The Nanny States are as bad but a completely different use case.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked in public relations for 12 years. The mainstream media will never change. Their job is to write what will sell. And well I agree with you that our sympathies should be with Odin, no one is going to care to read article after article on a semi-pro player who no one had heard of prior to his death at the hands of a celebrity. That is the way the ball rolls. Public interest is always going to be toward the celebriity and by the way this is not wrong but just natural human curiosity.

What I would encourage you to do is to stay from the mainstream media and read the great blogs out there on this situation and on Odin. Some folks have written some really wonderful stuff. It is great to be in 2013 where we are not subjected to mainstream media solely but can also go to other sources for information and opinion.

Locally, there WERE many, many articles about Odin and his family. Why those would be written nationally, or on sports-centric websites like ESPN or SI, I have no idea, although I do recall seeing an article on ESPN about Odin's funeral.

No doubt, could not agree more. There was a very tragic death in my extended family two years ago, my cousin's 18-year-old daughter... it was the worst. My cousin is doing well but obviously will carry that grief with her until the end of her days. Nothing is worse than when a parent outlives their child. I also experienced this in my own family last year when my 49-year-old sister passed away. My 82-year-old mother is still reeling from it.

Deepest sympathies

My Dover Friend awoke to a call last year that his sister ,   also MIT  grad and stayed in area , 23 year old son passed in his sleep

there are no words that can offer comfort, we say them do to custom & out of support but really cant do anything to ease the pain save let them know we are here if u need us

wasnt this a thread on are the Pats in Trouble, guess like all topics , things get a life of their own and go off on tangents as the comments come in and are rebutted

Lets all have a happy 4th of July

I for one plan on having for a change a relaxing day in my 71 rag top just out of storage yesterday

on a lighter note than alot of this thread 

great drive, its  therapy for me, still can red line every gear, & thank god its a forgiven gear box as a miss here with my disabilities that i do every so often , well it  doesn't hurt u like a Porsche would kill u , 110 octane sounds so great at 100 MPH, once driven a bit & work out engine eventually will always will try for top speed, usually somewhere between 122 & 125 though original manual says its should be only be 118 but my mechanic who also restored it from ground up apprenticed on same car in Germany so knows every bolt 

Never got a ticket in this car, & no points on my  record since 1996, the more disabled the more careful one is, This car well its just meant for the autobahn, and will select empty spot whenever it gets good workout

However is it Patriotic to celebrate the Birth of our nation in a car built by Germany , Britain did have paid  German mercenaries (  30,000 Hessians, The Original George W beat  a contingent of them  at Valley forge )   that were ruthless, still a 71 280 SL Benz  with top down on sunny day , well I forgive myself

I am not wrong... believe me. You do realize the vast majority of blogs are based on research sourced from more established media institutions? These are the people who have access and thus these are the people with the first hand information in its purest and most uncontaminated form, but by the time they reach publication, they have often been heavily doctored for shock value, to suit certain interests etc.

Look at Fox News viewing figures, CNN, Sky and BBC news in the UK, the major tabloids etc. They still all have huge followings and on countless occassions (in recent times) have managed to create huge frenzies and trends based on inaccuracies or sensationalism.

These citizen-bloggers you talk about are often either uninformed or misinformed and the amount of truly pure and unbiased media sources in existence are few and far between, because most do not have access and the ones that do often have agendas. I am not saying the do not exist, but they are not reaching the masses.

Most understand to take it with a grain of salt? Wrong. You may engage in relatively intellectual circles who are cognizant, but the fact is the vast majority of the population believe what they read and what they are told by authorities who they believe to be the absolute truth... i.e. mainstream media.

And no, my issue is not directly with the West, it just pertains to this particular example. The Nanny States are as bad but a completely different use case.

You lost me. Opinion blogs are not based on main stream media. I mean the facts are the facts about Odin and his death. Many have written on him and his family. You act like mainstream media is whirling a magic wand. They aren’t. Sure they have slants as people are writing them so kind of hard to have articles void of the human element.

I also find it humorous that you say mainstream media has this power over the masses but not over you even though you already admitted that you read them as your mains source of information.

Also, I am not sure why you care to be honest. I mean here you are on a Colts football forum throwing a tantrum on a thread about the Patriots. It seems as though you are desperately looking for this brainwashing just so you can beat your chest and rail against CNN, Fox. I really hope you are not one of those people that believe America is accurately represented by Hollywood.

So is this defensiveness, or poor reading comprehension?

I have not implied that the Pats' performance on the field would suffer. I have not suggested that anyone would somehow miss AH. And I've definitely not suggested that the problems would stem from media posing questions at a podium.

If the media will have an impact, it's this: this trial will be in the news almost daily for a long time to come. Players will watch the news, and they will discuss the news amongst themselves. That's a fact. Where my opinion starts is that knowing you've worked closely alongside someone who was allegedly actively killing people while you were striving towards common goals has an effect on you. I know it would give me the heeby-jeebies.

I also don't see how (in light of odd conversations with Welker, and Tebow possibly helping cover up a fight in college) it can be assumed that the Pats' players will be insulated from participation in the trial. Any and every interaction they've had with AH could potentially be germane to the cases of either the defense or the prosecution, and BB will not be able to insulate his team from subpoenas.

Im pretty sure grown men who are highly paid professional athletes will be able to get over this since it happened in JUNE and they aren't even in training camp yet. If you think this is going to hang over all of their minds for the entire season and screw them up then thats a fun little fantasy that you can have in your own imagination, but its far from the reality of the situation.

You lost me.

This does not surprise me.

Opinion blogs are not based on main stream media. I mean the facts are the facts about Odin and his death. Many have written on him and his family. You act like mainstream media is whirling a magic wand. They aren’t. Sure they have slants as people are writing them so kind of hard to have articles void of the human element.

Ugh... you continue to be wrong, ignore the fact that you are wrong, then start again. The issue is that modern media thrives of creating sensationalism and controversy because it gets ratings. Real issues, real stories get ignored because they are percieved boring by a very undereducated society, this lack of education, or mis-education, is ironically contributed to in large by the media. Thus a vicious circle.

People are obsessed with celebrity... and it is not because of some 'natural curiosity' as you claim, it is shaped by sociological forces, and mainstream media are by far and away the greatest culprit for this. Opinion blogs 99% of the time are feeding off second hand information, they were not at the crime scene, they were not directly corresponding with police... so yes, they are reliant on the larger media entities.

There are great journalists out there with integrity and intelligence but there are not enough to change the culture that exists.

I also find it humorous that you say mainstream media has this power over the masses but not over you even though you already admitted that you read them as your mains source of information.

Point missed yet again by you.

Also, I am not sure why you care to be honest. I mean here you are on a Colts football forum throwing a tantrum on a thread about the Patriots. It seems as though you are desperately looking for this brainwashing just so you can beat your chest and rail against CNN, Fox. I really hope you are not one of those people that believe America is accurately represented by Hollywood.

lol, you really our either illiterate or just incapable of demonstrating proper reasoning. How am I throwing a tantrum about the Patriots? I find it despicable that the Patriots depleted receiving core gets much more airtime than the murder of a seemingly innocent man, yes. You want to twist my points to suit your petty argument? Please.

Ugh... you continue to be wrong, ignore the fact that you are wrong, then start again. The issue is that modern media thrives of creating sensationalism and controversy because it gets ratings. Real issues, real stories get ignored because they are percieved boring by a very undereducated society, this lack of education, or mis-education, is ironically contributed to in large by the media. Thus a vicious circle.

People are obsessed with celebrity... and it is not because of some 'natural curiosity' as you claim, it is shaped by sociological forces, and mainstream media are by far and away the greatest culprit for this. Opinion blogs 99% of the time are feeding off second hand information, they were not at the crime scene, they were not directly corresponding with police... so yes, they are reliant on the larger media entities.

There are great journalists out there with integrity and intelligence but there are not enough to change the culture that exists.

lol, you really our either illiterate or just incapable of demonstrating proper reasoning. How am I throwing a tantrum about the Patriots? I find it despicable that the Patriots depleted receiving core gets much more airtime than the murder of a seemingly innocent man, yes. You want to twist my points to suit your petty argument? Please.

Why the insults?  Is that necessary? For someone that seems to care so much that people pay more attention to the victim in this case, you sure come off as anything but sympathetic.

But at any rate, to your point about the mainstream media, I worked with them for more than a decade. They are not the evil empire that you envision. The majority are hardworking individuals that are on incredible deadlines to write their stories. They would be fired in a heartbeat if their stories had any inaccuracies. They are not allowed to fabricate. They fact check better than anyone in the universe as their jobs are at stake. Now that does not mean they do not write without a journalist slant. Every good writer has their style and a way they want to communicate. My point to you is that readers understand this. They know the Boston Globe is as liberal as they come. That does not mean what they are reporting is not true or that they choose to report on some stories versus’ others. That is why the blogosphere emerged because people wanted differing opinions outside of the major papers. While the bloggers do get their facts from the mainstream, they are not reporting on it with any type of agenda because they have no editor or circulation just page views. It is a world of difference and that is why it has grown exponentially year after year since it has emerged. Study after study has shown the people tend to trust their peers more than anyone else so it would make sense that citizen journalism has emerged with such force.

In terms of this specific story on AH, I am not sure what to tell you. I have seen a ton of stories on Olin. I am not sure what you are looking for to be honest. A few posts back you asked for a condolences page. Of course stories are going to focus on AH and the Pats because believe it or not the Pats are victims here too as well as anyone associated with AH like his fiancé and baby and other family. A good reporter covers the entire story not just part of it. I think everyone knows and understands that Olin and his family are the true victims here but that does not preclude the others that were affected. And it is not insensitive of the media to report on it.

But again, I ask you. Why are you here on a FOOTBALL forum on a PATS thread if you feel this way? If you have this opinion then go to CNN and Fox and let them that you think they are swaying the masses. The audience here loves football. Specifically the Colts and the Pats have been one of their main rivals for more than a decade. So naturally this type of discussion would ensue and has nothing whatsoever to do with the mainstream media brainwashing anyone or a lack of sympathy for the victim or his family.

Posted · Hidden by -JJ-, July 5, 2013 - insult-no warning given
Hidden by -JJ-, July 5, 2013 - insult-no warning given

Why the insults?  Is that necessary? For someone that seems to care so much that people pay more attention to the victim in this case, you sure come off as anything but sympathetic.

But at any rate, to your point about the mainstream media, I worked with them for more than a decade. They are not the evil empire that you envision. The majority are hardworking individuals that are on incredible deadlines to write their stories. They would be fired in a heartbeat if their stories had any inaccuracies. They are not allowed to fabricate. They fact check better than anyone in the universe as their jobs are at stake. Now that does not mean they do not write without a journalist slant. Every good writer has their style and a way they want to communicate. My point to you is that readers understand this. They know the Boston Globe is as liberal as they come. That does not mean what they are reporting is not true or that they choose to report on some stories versus’ others. That is why the blogosphere emerged because people wanted differing opinions outside of the major papers. While the bloggers do get their facts from the mainstream, they are not reporting on it with any type of agenda because they have no editor or circulation just page views. It is a world of difference and that is why it has grown exponentially year after year since it has emerged. Study after study has shown the people tend to trust their peers more than anyone else so it would make sense that citizen journalism has emerged with such force.

In terms of this specific story on AH, I am not sure what to tell you. I have seen a ton of stories on Olin. I am not sure what you are looking for to be honest. A few posts back you asked for a condolences page. Of course stories are going to focus on AH and the Pats because believe it or not the Pats are victims here too as well as anyone associated with AH like his fiancé and baby and other family. A good reporter covers the entire story not just part of it. I think everyone knows and understands that Olin and his family are the true victims here but that does not preclude the others that were affected. And it is not insensitive of the media to report on it.

But again, I ask you. Why are you here on a FOOTBALL forum on a PATS thread if you feel this way? If you have this opinion then go to CNN and Fox and let them that you think they are swaying the masses. The audience here loves football. Specifically the Colts and the Pats have been one of their main rivals for more than a decade. So naturally this type of discussion would ensue and has nothing whatsoever to do with the mainstream media brainwashing anyone or a lack of sympathy for the victim or his family.

Do you just copy and paste your posts?

Same tired points, ignoring the issues I raise. Clueless.

Well at least any valid points you're making aren't being obscured in unabashed pretentiousness.

:thmup:

I think it depends on the event he is going to. He can look very GQ when it comes to say the awards shows and then ridiculously rugged as if he has not shaved in a few weeks when it is a game....

I actually met a woman this summer too who has a niece who works in Green Bay at a Starbucks where Packers players tend to get drinks. She said Rodgers comes in often and is super nice. Many say he is arrogant but I never heard that about him from the everyday person who has had an encounter.

Honestly though, I think the Packers are in a little bit of trouble unless that defense gets up to snuff again. We hear a lot of blame going on at times towards defenses around this league holding QBs back but the Pack D takes the cake for me at times. They can give up big plays like beads at Mardi Gras..

I did not mean to go off topic though. This thread is all about the Patriots inevitable doom cloud.

And yes SW I like you very much too!

Good point Jules! People who have interactions with Rogers daily don't say harsh, mean, or derogatory things about him at all. And next to Pre Madonna, "I refuse to go to NFL training camp Favre" Rogers looks like a saint/model citizen by comparison. You are right about Green Bay's defense. Dom Capers needs to fix that ASAP, but with their new RB Eddie Lacy that should take a lot of pressure off Rodgers shoulders. 

LOL Jules! "This thread is all about the Patriots inevitable doom cloud." I chuckle at how you seamlessly boomerang the discussion back on target to the original topic. Nicely done! Thank you for the nice complement on my behalf as well Jules. I appreciate it.  :thmup:  Boomerang was a descent romantic comedy too when Eddie Murphy was still funny as an international film star. Unfortunately, Eddie Murphy with the exception of "Sherk" does too too kids movies now that really aren't that hilarious anymore. Mr. Murphy has lost his comedic midas touch. JMO, but then again, dark sarcasm appeals to me. Yeah I know, SW1 is one strange cat.  haha 

I am completely smitten with Luck as our QB.  I was one who wanted him long before it was official he was going to be our QB too. It just felt right to me and you cannot make up the idea of a guy with the name Luck wearing the :blueshoe:. It seemed meant to be....

I have always had a great feeling about this guy and believe he will continue to improve. He has the intangibles I just do not believe many have.

Honestly, as great and precise as Peyton always was/is I actually think Luck makes me feel more relaxed for some reason. He has a very "chill" vibe to him.

I would not even trade Luck for Rodgers. No. I 100% dig Rodgers' game and think he is probably the best pure QB in the league in his prime right now, but I think Luck has already proven to be a better "comeback QB" who can dig us out of a hole and who should likely get better. I like my QBs to be able to have the ability to raise their game to the highest level when adversity strikes hardest. To me that is a gift and not necessarily something that can be taught.

But, in the end the Patriots are still clearly and obviously doomed.

So, just so we are clear Luck & Rogers are on equal footing in the looks & field general talent department Jules? Again, SW1 is only teasing.  ;)  You are right about Luck though in all seriousness. He reminds me of Eli Manning actually. Nothing phases Luck. He's as cool as a cucumber on the field, has selective amnesia, & knows how to get everyone on the same page without humiliating guys or being a colossal jerk in the huddle. Yes, Luck definitely has a comeback gene inside him no doubt about it. In that regard, Luck is a lot like Peyton Manning. Yes, Luck does have a keen awareness of knowing when to get serious & close games out. 

I also have no problem with Aaron Rodgers wanting to use QB Tom Brady as a mentor for NFL success either. Brady has continued to be successful since 2001 and real success is tied to longevity & a reliable clutch gene with a killer instinct mixed in. I'd love to see a Patriots vs Colts AFC Championship Game soon or a Packers vs Patriots SB in the near future too. 

I love how people keep bringing up 06 on how brady didnt have weapons, but its alittle bit different this time around. no stud defensive players like harrison bruschi seymour and samuel. no corey dillion or kevin faulk (course ridley is pretty good) and brady isnt 29. hes 36 and I doubt he can get it done at his age with the lack of weapons hes gonna have this year. im not saying their gonna be 5-11, but I can see them maybe 9-7.

I love how people keep bringing up 06 on how brady didnt have weapons, but its alittle bit different this time around. no stud defensive players like harrison bruschi seymour and samuel. no corey dillion or kevin faulk (course ridley is pretty good) and brady isnt 29. hes 36 and I doubt he can get it done at his age with the lack of weapons hes gonna have this year. im not saying their gonna be 5-11, but I can see them maybe 9-7.

2006 is in interesting comparison but I agree the teams are very different too. Brady was missing both key WRs that he had won SBs with in 2006. This time it is just AH as Gronk will play and Amendola is more than an adequate replacement for Welker.

But I think the biggest difference is the run game which was average in 2006 with Dillon on the decline. He only rushed for 800 yards that season. Pats were 4th in rushing this past season and we only got a glimpse of Shane Vareen toward the end of the season. I believe he will fill Danny Woodhead’s role as he has blazing speed and can line up as a WR. They also picked up Blount from the Bucs which will only bolster their power run game behind Ridley and Boldin. So far reports on Dobson their rookie WR have been glowing so if Brady has a legit threat on the outside than I can see them going to more of a base offense as opposed to the tight end sets.

In terms of your point on Brady being older, these past three seasons have been the best of his career not including 2007 of course when he had the best year of any QB in the history of the game. I think he is a better QB now than 2006 but honestly his effort to win 12 games in 2006 was by far his most impressive season. And remember that was before all the rule changes to favor the offense. I believe that year more than any he should have won league MVP.

In terms of the defense, for sure this is the weakest spot compared to 2006 but it is also the unit that the Pats have improved the most this off-season. I have said this before but if they are not significantly better against the pass than the Pats are going nowhere even if the O is ranked number one like it was last year. They can’t be 31 or 32. They need to at least be top 20 or better.

Amendola is more than an adequate replacement for Welker.

I happen to agree with you about the run game, especially after getting Blount to complement Vereen and Ridley... but NO WAY is Amendola a "more than adequate" replacement for Welker.  He may have had a couple seasons that were statistically similar to those Welker had with Miami, but he is neither as electric or as durable as Welker was in 2006.

I saw potential in Amendola when he was a UDFA with Dallas, but he has yet to show more than promise.  To me, though, the potential was/is only to be decent, never to be special.

Conversely, I honestly thought Welker would be a star when he was with the Fins, and didn't understand why they didn't use him more.  I was ticked when the Pats traded for him because I knew Brady could exploit that talent more than Frerotte or Harrington could.  It was one of the few Patriots FA moves that "scared" me.  Amendola doesn't move the meter like that AT ALL for me.

2006 is in interesting comparison but I agree the teams are very different too. Brady was missing both key WRs that he had won SBs with in 2006. This time it is just AH as Gronk will play and Amendola is more than an adequate replacement for Welker.

But I think the biggest difference is the run game which was average in 2006 with Dillon on the decline. He only rushed for 800 yards that season. Pats were 4th in rushing this past season and we only got a glimpse of Shane Vareen toward the end of the season. I believe he will fill Danny Woodhead’s role as he has blazing speed and can line up as a WR. They also picked up Blount from the Bucs which will only bolster their power run game behind Ridley and Boldin. So far reports on Dobson their rookie WR have been glowing so if Brady has a legit threat on the outside than I can see them going to more of a base offense as opposed to the tight end sets.

In terms of your point on Brady being older, these past three seasons have been the best of his career not including 2007 of course when he had the best year of any QB in the history of the game. I think he is a better QB now than 2006 but honestly his effort to win 12 games in 2006 was by far his most impressive season. And remember that was before all the rule changes to favor the offense. I believe that year more than any he should have won league MVP.

In terms of the defense, for sure this is the weakest spot compared to 2006 but it is also the unit that the Pats have improved the most this off-season. I have said this before but if they are not significantly better against the pass than the Pats are going nowhere even if the O is ranked number one like it was last year. They can’t be 31 or 32. They need to at least be top 20 or better.

In 2007, he was spectacularly immense in the Super Bowl. Surprised you forgot to mention that game specifically. Well, it was a few years ago right enough....

how does blount improve the running game? he hasnt done anything since hes been in the league unless you count that one year, but then again he lost his job to a rookie and is a fumbling machine.

everyone declines as they approach certain ages and brady is no different. yes hes had some great years, but that was when he was loaded with weapons now they have a rookie wr and injury prone one on the outside and who knows when gronk will be back or if he will be as effective. the guy had 5 surgeries in one off-season.

what have they done to improve their defense?

I happen to agree with you about the run game, especially after getting Blount to complement Vereen and Ridley... but NO WAY is Amendola a "more than adequate" replacement for Welker.  He may have had a couple seasons that were statistically similar to those Welker had with Miami, but he is neither as electric or as durable as Welker was in 2006.

I saw potential in Amendola when he was a UDFA with Dallas, but he has yet to show more than promise.  To me, though, the potential was/is only to be decent, never to be special.

Conversely, I honestly thought Welker would be a star when he was with the Fins, and didn't understand why they didn't use him more.  I was ticked when the Pats traded for him because I knew Brady could exploit that talent more than Frerotte or Harrington could.  It was one of the few Patriots FA moves that "scared" me.  Amendola doesn't move the meter like that AT ALL for me.

How do you know that Amendola is not an adequate replacement? His stats and play say he is MORE than adequate when healthy. He is faster and more explosive not to mention five years younger. If he can stay healthy, than he will be a key part of this offense like Welker.

In 2007, he was spectacularly immense in the Super Bowl. Surprised you forgot to mention that game specifically. Well, it was a few years ago right enough....

He also had a broken ankle and played one of the fiercest defensive lines to ever step on the field in a SB.Credit Giants.

But I was referencing his 2007 season in totality not just one game. His 2007 season is the benchmark for greatness in terms of his 50 TDS to 8 INTs and points scored (most all time) and points differential (best ever). I believe Aaron Roders 2011 season is second. A great effort that season from him too even though he fell short in the playoffs.

how does blount improve the running game? he hasnt done anything since hes been in the league unless you count that one year, but then again he lost his job to a rookie and is a fumbling machine.

everyone declines as they approach certain ages and brady is no different. yes hes had some great years, but that was when he was loaded with weapons now they have a rookie wr and injury prone one on the outside and who knows when gronk will be back or if he will be as effective. the guy had 5 surgeries in one off-season.

what have they done to improve their defense?

In his rookie year (2010) Blount rushed for 1,000 yards and then had issues when Schiano became coach. It was personal issues not on the field which is why they drafted Doug Martin.

Basically the Pats got a 1,000 yard rusher with little wear and tear (Blount did not have many carries last year) for a bag of potatoes (7th round pick and track star Jeff Demps). He will help Ridley carry the load. At RB you can never have too many quality backs and the Pats in particular have always done the run game by committee so he gives the Pats depth at a position where injuries are frequent. Blount will also be a threat in the red zone as he can really pound the ball.

Brady has had great years with weapons and without. You forget that Welker was a no one until Brady and so was Branch, Givens, etc. And your point is weakened by the fact that Brady DOES have weapons this year in Gronk, Amendola, Ballard, Ridley, etc. This offense is MUCH better than 2006 which is why I think that year is a bad comparison.

In terms of the defense, almost all of the Pats moves this past off-season were defensive. They resigned Talib at corner which IMO was their biggest signing as Talib made their entire secondary much better last year when he played. In addition, they signed safety Adrian Wilson who will help situational on third downs and also provide some much needed leadership to the young secondary. In the draft they picked up a corner and safety from Rutgers to add more depth to their weakest unit and also drafted Jamie Collins who is a defensive end/LB who should help their pass rush and coverage in the flat. Also, most are expecting their stud defensive picks from two years ago – Jones (DE) and Hightower (LB) - to continue to take steps forward and be the dominant forces they showed last season before they got injured.

This may be the most solid defensive unit the Pats have fielded in years considering many of the young talent they acquired the past few seasons is now maturing combined with veteran leaders in Wilfork and Mayo. Again, IMO the defense will determine just how far the Pats will go come playoffs. Brady and the O will be plenty good enough.

How do you know that Amendola is not an adequate replacement? His stats and play say he is MORE than adequate when healthy. He is faster and more explosive not to mention five years younger. If he can stay healthy, than he will be a key part of this offense like Welker.

You're probably right... I probably misread your intentions in the statement. Amendola is surely going to be something in the ballpark of "adequate", and in the way the Pats will likely have him line up, he looks to be the replacement for Welker.

Otherwise, that would be like me suggesting that DHB is DEFIITELY going to end up being every bit as good as Reggie Wayne, or that TY is going to duplicate Harrison's achievements. I think you'd call me a homer if I suggested anything of the sort.

You're probably right... I probably misread your intentions in the statement. Amendola is surely going to be something in the ballpark of "adequate", and in the way the Pats will likely have him line up, he looks to be the replacement for Welker.

Otherwise, that would be like me suggesting that DHB is DEFIITELY going to end up being every bit as good as Reggie Wayne, or that TY is going to duplicate Harrison's achievements. I think you'd call me a homer if I suggested anything of the sort.

Sure thing man. My point was more that Amendola can play slot just fine. I don't think the Pats will use him the same as Welker as there is no way Amendola can take on the hits that would come with a 100 catch season. Plus, I don't think an offense is healthy when one player is getting that many touches, especially a slot guy whose main job is to move the chains. I think last year the Pats were trying to move away from that but then with injuries Welker became more of a focal point. I think if Dobson is anywhere near as good as people are saying than the pats will become more of a traditional offense and Amendola will be expected to get 50-60 balls.

I do find, as the adage goes, that fools are far more sure of themselves than sages.

I'm sure that doesn't apply here though. ;)

Funny you say that, because I find, fools often invent their own adage in an attempt to support a completely misplaced concept, seemingly giving it an air of integrity, when in fact it does nothing more than portray the individual as ever so slightly pretentious.

Funny you say that, because I find, fools often invent their own adage in an attempt to support a completely misplaced concept, seemingly giving it an air of integrity, when in fact it does nothing more than portray the individual as ever so slightly pretentious.

Well of course it doesn't apply, my friend! I just knew that a learned man such as yourself would be familiar with a famous line from a very renown playwright:

"Whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser people are full of doubts."  - George Bernard Shaw

If I'm incorrect, then you would be - hypothetically, of course - making a baseless accusation.

But I'm sure that doesn't apply here, yet again. :thmup:

Well of course it doesn't apply, my friend! I just knew that a learned man such as yourself would be familiar with a famous line from a very renown playwright:

"Whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser people are full of doubts."  - George Bernard Shaw

If I'm incorrect, then you would be - hypothetically, of course - making a baseless accusation.

But I'm sure that doesn't apply here, yet again. :thmup:

It is baseless when people choose not to paraphrase my friend, otherwise that is how Chinese whispers begin. :)

I am Irish, so I am of course familiar with Shaw (though unfamiliar with that particular quote), however unfortunately he is the victim of lack of understanding of his time. This is one of many examples of an era when poetically-worded literature took precedance over proven science. We no longer live in that age.

He ignores the quite glaring fact that intelligence and confidence are not mutually exclusive, whilst those blighted with stupidy may mask themselves with a stubborn front, they are perfectly conversant with their doubts.

Then again, the internet is a plethora of quotes capable of supporting any argument, so you must forgive my scrutiny of such a baseless concept.

Perhaps the most ironic point here is that you quote Shaw, a socialist, and a believer in the devolution of large corporate media entities... which supports my original argument with your fellow Patriots fan. An argument you felt compelled to get involved in because of course Pats fans must stick together.

As the adage goes... everybody hates Pats fans.

It is baseless when people choose not to paraphrase my friend, otherwise that is how Chinese whispers begin. :)

I am Irish, so I am of course familiar with Shaw (though unfamiliar with that particular quote), however unfortunately he is the victim of lack of understanding of his time. This is one of many examples of an era when poetically-worded literature took precedance over proven science. We no longer live in that age.

He ignores the quite glaring fact that intelligence and confidence are not mutually exclusive, whilst those blighted with stupidy may mask themselves with a stubborn front, they are perfectly conversant with their doubts.

Then again, the internet is a plethora of quotes capable of supporting any argument, so you must forgive my scrutiny of such a baseless concept.

Perhaps the most ironic point here is that you quote Shaw, a socialist, and a believer in the devolution of large corporate media entities... which supports my original argument with your fellow Patriots fan. An argument you felt compelled to get involved in because of course Pats fans must stick together.

Right because our discussion (didn't realize you thought it was an argument as I was arguing nothing just stating facts) had everything to do with the Pats and not your rage against the West and mis-notions about American media and the consumption of it by its citizens.

But I do enjoy your overuse of 50 cent words in defense of your unfounded position. Please continue this with GoPats and consider my post just a sidebar. I just love literature discussions that have poltical implications. :)

Right because our discussion (didn't realize you thought it was an argument as I was arguing nothing just stating facts) had everything to do with the Pats and not your rage against the West and mis-notions about American media and the consumption of it by its citizens.

But I do enjoy your overuse of 50 cent words in defense of your unfounded position. Please continue this with GoPats and consider my post just a sidebar. I just love literature discussions that have poltical implications. :)

Lol, you do not state facts. And you seem to believe that subjective issues can be construed as facts. You also make completely inaccurate assumptions on my beliefs, but whatever.

I have no rage against the West, certain things just aggravate me about modern, accepted sociological norms. And I can promise you my position is far from unfounded, I have delved deep into these issues at a scholarly level, your lack of understanding and ignorance in regard to my points is not my problem.

And I never said the conversation had anything to do with the Patriots, simply that Patriots fans have to stick up for each other because nobody else will. :)

Regardless of how much you think the Shaw quote doesn't fit the times, I would suggest adages stick around because they are just vague enough to allow a reader to formulate their own understanding of them. My guess is there is something to learn here, if you'd get off your podium long enough to see it.

Here's what I am seeing: it looks like you are trying very hard to prove how intelligent you are, but are coming off as more than just pretentious, but pedantic, and a little puerile too. I recognize this because I can err in that direction myself.

Sometimes departing an interaction without "winning it" is the smart choice.

You may also be familiar with the adage, often attributed to Abraham Lincoln or Mark Twain, that suggests that it is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt. The saying actually originated in the bible, and is less insulting in its phrasing...

"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding."

Lol, you do not state facts. And you seem to believe that subjective issues can be construed as facts. You also make completely inaccurate assumptions on my beliefs, but whatever.

I have no rage against the West, certain things just aggravate me about modern, accepted sociological norms. And I can promise you my position is far from unfounded, I have delved deep into these issues at a scholarly level, your lack of understanding and ignorance in regard to my points is not my problem.

And I never said the conversation had anything to do with the Patriots, simply that Patriots fans have to stick up for each other because nobody else will. :)

Perhaps you forgot that I told you I worked in Public Relations for 12 years. Studying something in theory versus world real experience is quite different. I don't totally disagree with you by the way in terms of the media and its sway over the masses. My point was more on the consumer. There was a paradigm shift when the blogosphere and social media emerged in this country which drastically changed how media was consumed and by extension how it is received. If we only had mainstream media as our source of information then I would be more swayed to your position but the opposite is true. Citizen journalism emerged as a strong front to mainstream media and the brainwashing of the masses. This is not conjecture but fact. I can message you some great books on this subject if you like to show how this new paradigm is not just a fad as some assumed it was when it first surfaced but a new way of communication and a healthy one I might add. 

One other quick side note, about 90 percent if not more of the stories you read are pitched by PR professionals. The great majority of the mainstream stories you read are in fact concocted by savvy PR pros who are masters of communication. So while the end product appears to be orchestrated by the media, it is in fact planted by PR pros who represent orgs, individuals, ect. PR is the fourth medium.

Regardless of how much you think the Shaw quote doesn't fit the times, I would suggest adages stick around because they are just vague enough to allow a reader to formulate their own understanding of them. My guess is there is something to learn here, if you'd get off your podium long enough to see it.

Here's what I am seeing: it looks like you are trying very hard to prove how intelligent you are, but are coming off as more than just pretentious, but pedantic, and a little puerile too. I recognize this because I can err in that direction myself.

Sometimes departing an interaction without "winning it" is the smart choice.

You may also be familiar with the adage, often attributed to Abraham Lincoln or Mark Twain, that suggests that it is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt. The saying actually originated in the bible, and is less insulting in its phrasing...

"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding."

I am certain I removed myself from this debate several days ago, and offered my final views on the matter, 'amfootball' is as guilty of continuing engagement as I am. Explain to me how this may seem otherwise...

My issue hear began with the dismay of constantly being exposed to stories on Aaron Hernandez and the Patriots, whilst the real victims get overlooked. People saying they feel sorry for Hernandez, or they feel sorry for the Patriots, angers me, because Aaron Hernandez will get what he deserves, and ther Patriots will go on as before whilst a man is dead and his family suffers. That was my point and my issue with large media entities supports that. Now, 'amfootball' has different views, views I consider to be incorrect, so the debate continued...

Now, the escalation of the debate, and involvement of the delightful character 'GoPats' came from an obviously satirical comment of my intellect, if people cannot get a joke, I don't usually stick around to explain it. You have forced me hand to explain myself however, with your patronizing advice.

I have had quite enough generic, irrelevant adages for one day thank you, especially those accusing me of being a 'fool'. :)

Perhaps you forgot that I told you I worked in Public Relations for 12 years. Studying something in theory versus world real experience is quite different. I don't totally disagree with you by the way in terms of the media and its sway over the masses. My point was more on the consumer. There was a paradigm shift when the blogosphere and social media emerged in this country which drastically changed how media was consumed and by extension how it is received. If we only had mainstream media as our source of information then I would be more swayed to your position but the opposite is true. Citizen journalism emerged as a strong front to mainstream media and the brainwashing of the masses. This is not conjecture but fact. I can message you some great books on this subject if you like to show how this new paradigm is not just a fad as some assumed it was when it first surfaced but a new way of communication and a healthy one I might add. 

No I read that in your first 10 posts.

My point remains, where does the 'Blogosphere' get the information from, because it is rarely first hand? And the impact of said 'Blogosphere' is much lesser than you claim, in fact, the major Social Media outlets have much larger impact. Though they too receive their information second-hand, and thus popular opinion has already been swayed. Healthy debate often arises, but that is for the select few who care enough to think for themselves... just because you are one of those people, does not mean everyone is. The sad truth is that the most imperative issues in this world bore most people, because they do not see the direct effects until later down the line. 

One other quick side note, about 90 percent if not more of the stories you read are pitched by PR professionals. The great majority of the mainstream stories you read are in fact concocted by savvy PR pros who are masters of communication. So while the end product appears to be orchestrated by the media, it is in fact planted by PR pros who represent orgs, individuals, ect. PR is the fourth medium.

My point exactly, thank you.

I am certain I removed myself from this debate several days ago, and offered my final views on the matter, 'amfootball' is as guilty of continuing engagement as I am. Explain to me how this may seem otherwise...

My issue hear began with the dismay of constantly being exposed to stories on Aaron Hernandez and the Patriots, whilst the real victims get overlooked. People saying they feel sorry for Hernandez, or they feel sorry for the Patriots, angers me, because Aaron Hernandez will get what he deserves, and ther Patriots will go on as before whilst a man is dead and his family suffers. That was my point and my issue with large media entities supports that. Now, 'amfootball' has different views, views I consider to be incorrect, so the debate continued...

Now, the escalation of the debate, and involvement of the delightful character 'GoPats' came from an obviously satirical comment of my intellect, if people cannot get a joke, I don't usually stick around to explain it. You have forced me hand to explain myself however, with your patronizing advice.

I have had quite enough generic, irrelevant adages for one day thank you, especially those accusing me of being a 'fool'. :)

In fairness, I quoted the adage more to encourage you to be the intelligent guy you are and let the debate die, but perhaps there is a reason you choose to feel accused of being a fool?

ADAGE ALERT:

Check yo self before you wreck yo self  - Ice Cube

Anywho... whether you are confident of it or not, you made your point a long time ago, and it is OK for people to chose to either turn a blind eye to it, or even disagree with it.  Continually rehashing doesn't end up making your point stronger... same goes for amfootball... This is something elucidated for me again recently too.

ADAGE ALERT:

We all have topics like this where things are twisted or taken out of context or interpreted COMPLETELY WRONG!  Don't let it bother ya, life is too short and we are all here just to discuss our fav sport and our favorite teams. So sit back and laugh when people do this to ya, its a lot better than getting frustrated... TRUST ME... - JimJaime