Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ahmad Bradshaw expected to start over Ballard

BlueCollarColts

Here's my two cents......

A Ballard/Bradshaw two headed monster sounds pretty awesome to me. 

I'm not a Brown fan, but he did run behind a FB in college, so he might benefit from the change. He better, or he'll be shown the door....especailly if he gets hurt again. 

I think Williams will be utilized primarily on KR, and hopefully find his way into the backfield.

So long Carter. 

Exactly. Nothing is set in stone at that position and there's no factual information stating that the "Colts expect Bradshaw to start over Ballard."

Could that be the case come July? Sure.

But as of now it's pure specualtion and let's be honest, whoever starts should not really matter at RB.

Both guys I think will get pretty their fair share of carries and be vital to the offensive balance.

This times a thousand.

Draft pick lower round

A 3.9 YPC RB who is average or below as a pass catcher and pass blocker for $1.7M. Good luck on a trade.

We will throw about 35 times a game. Ballard was LOST as a pass protector last year so Bradshaw would be Big for the passing game.

A nice 2 headed Monster and we will need that 3rd back too ya know.

Probably a pronouncement of the writer designed to place himself in a better situation to get more info from Bradshaw, his agent or publicist. I don't understand the overreaction to these statements when there is so much situational substitution of players at most skill positions. Once training camp and preseason has taken place, we'll be able to see who is targeted as the lead back. Personally, I think Ballard is better suited for doing the bulk of the inside the tackle running, with Bradshaw doing the work on plays where a pass or run is possible due to his speed/power capacity and pass blocking and Brown serving as a solid option in either category. Williams will give the team an unknown option for which teams will be unsure how to prepare. Add in Carter, Moore and Havili and Colts have strongest running contingent that I can recall.

Yes, IF...   

IF not Brown will play.       I still contend that Ballard will be the primary ball carrier, and Bradshaw will be the 3rd down back.   

Brown is the wildcard.   If he is healthy he is a game breaker.   He can go the distance.    I can honestly see this team using all 3 equally.    

And what if Williams IS the real deal?     Depth and competition are a GREAT "situation / problem"  to have.

The back who "protects Luck" the best will get the big passing situation snaps.    At this point that leans toward AB.

If Williams is as good as some say ,Brown could trade bait

There's a quote from Grigson in one of his many interviews and he's talking about needed depth....

He says of last year  "I'll never forget the day we had to put 3 running backs on IR..."

To me,  that says my projection of 4 total running backs (including Havili) is probably wrong...   that we'll go with 5...

So...   I see  Ballard, Bradshaw, Brown, Williams and Havili....

That's my forecast until I see/read something that says otherwise.......

I totally agree...   keeping 5 RB's... 

This team is going to have some really great training camp battles.   Last season we all just hoped everyone stayed healthy during TC.   This season I expect TC to be an all out WAR.    Roster spots will not be so easy to claim this coming season. 

RB, LB, DL, OL are gong to be fun to watch during the pre season.

This team is ready.     Pass rush is honestly the only thing I am a bit worried about.    And if BjW comes through then that is not as big a worry.   DB depth "could" be an issue also but according to some reports a couple UDFA DB's have looked good.   The kid from ULCA Price, and the kid from Sam Hou ST.  Swanson have from what I have read looked like they have a chance to make the team?

I am geeked, I am ready to kick off.....

Yes, IF...   

IF not Brown will play.       I still contend that Ballard will be the primary ball carrier, and Bradshaw will be the 3rd down back.   

Brown is the wildcard.   If he is healthy he is a game breaker.   He can go the distance.    I can honestly see this team using all 3 equally.    

And what if Williams IS the real deal?     Depth and competition are a GREAT "situation / problem"  to have.

The back who "protects Luck" the best will get the big passing situation snaps.    At this point that leans toward AB.

I would have to agree with your 3rd down assessment,but who knows what this year will bring hopefully healthy players

Hes still in a walking boot. How the heck is he expected to start!

Precautionary, He was reportedly working out and running prior to being signed by us. I have full confidence that he'll be ready for camp, but if not, it's no big deal as he and Ballard will split carries. So I see it as being irrelevant as to who will be named the "starter". That could change on a weekly basis, dependent upon that weeks match-up.

The Colts need to be careful in playing Bradshaw...they need to limit his carries per game or he will surely end up 'broken' again.

Better that Bradshaw gets limited carries and plays the whole season...better for Ballard and Williams too.

AND it is dangerous to let Brown go...if Bradshaw goes down early in the season and/or for a lot of games, we would end up with a short RB rotation...probably using regular FB carries.

The Colts need to be careful in playing Bradshaw...they need to limit his carries per game or he will surely end up 'broken' again.

Better that Bradshaw gets limited carries and plays the whole season...better for Ballard and Williams too.

AND it is dangerous to let Brown go...if Bradshaw goes down early in the season and/or for a lot of games, we would end up with a short RB rotation...probably using regular FB carries.

Havili is more than capable

I am sure playing RB by committee can help decrease chance of injury