Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are the Colts rebuilding?

21isSuperman

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/09000d5d822b326e/article/three-games-in-all-32-teams-have-room-for-improvement?module=HP11_content_stream

That without Peyton Manning, the Colts are in trouble. Big trouble. The Colts must improve their talent level all over and find an heir apparent to Manning. The Colts are in rebuilding mode.

--

Michael Lombardi knows what he is talking about when it comes to personnel and stuff like that (in my opinion). Is he taking it a bit too far to say that we are in rebuilding mode though? I wouldn't say we are in rebuilding mode, reloading maybe, but not rebuilding. I'm sure Colts management will not spend the final few years of Peyton's career rebuilding for the future; they will do what it takes to win now.

I don't think we're in rebuilding mode. I think we're going to be in rebuilding mode after PM retires. Rebuilding means that we're preparing for the future, and we're not, we're just missing our star player. So no, we're in rejuvenation mode, not rebuilding

To rebuild something, first you must tear it down. I do not see that happening yet.

Tear it down? It is torn down! Manning was and is what this team is made of, and he's out right now. This is as close to torn down as we can be right now.

"Rebuild" is not a dirty word. I'm also a Pacers fan, and after the infamous Brawl, the front office tried to "retool" because they didn't want to admit that what they had was a mess. Now, 7 years after that, the Pacers finally got back in the playoffs and are on their way back to relevancy.

This season allows the Colts to rebuild the parts that are a complete mess and then welcome back the GOAT next year with a stronger team from top to bottom. This is a perfect chance to rebuild.

Tear it down? It is torn down! Manning was and is what this team is made of, and he's out right now. This is as close to torn down as we can be right now.

"Rebuild" is not a dirty word. I'm also a Pacers fan, and after the infamous Brawl, the front office tried to "retool" because they didn't want to admit that what they had was a mess. Now, 7 years after that, the Pacers finally got back in the playoffs and are on their way back to relevancy.

This season allows the Colts to rebuild the parts that are a complete mess and then welcome back the GOAT next year with a stronger team from top to bottom. This is a perfect chance to rebuild.

Rebuild just makes it seem like we are starting over from nothing. The Panthers are rebuilding, the Rams are rebuilding, the Lions have finished rebuilding. All of those teams had nothing and are building up to become contenders. The Colts are already contenders with Peyton, and it's not like he is gone, he will be back next season. We have a number of seasoned vets on this team whereas a rebuilding team usually tries to get younger as fast as they can.

Rebuild just makes it seem like we are starting over from nothing. The Panthers are rebuilding, the Rams are rebuilding, the Lions have finished rebuilding. All of those teams had nothing and are building up to become contenders. The Colts are already contenders with Peyton, and it's not like he is gone, he will be back next season. We have a number of seasoned vets on this team whereas a rebuilding team usually tries to get younger as fast as they can.

Maybe remodeling would be a better term.

Peyton Manning is hurt, they are built around him and without him they are struggling. Not shocking. It's what most of the media world predicted when Manning went down. It's kinda funny how people are over thinking this. This is a team whose goal was to go to and win a Super Bowl coming into the season. If that's a team that is rebuilding then that's a pretty amazing team. This is a team that has lost it's super star and he can't be replaced.

I think that depends on whether manning can recover from this and is back next year.

If he can recover, and is at least close to 100%, then we should be competitive for the next 2-4 years at least. If not, then substantial change will probably be necessary.

I don't think we'll have the usual stranglehold on the division anymore tho. The Texans, Titans, and jags are younger and should compete for the division.

Especially if the Titans and Jags young QBs live up to their teams' expectations. The Texans have built a nice team overall.

Maybe remodeling would be a better term.

I agree. Remodeling is a great word for it.

I do think the Colts desperately need to bring in a QB next year. I don't know why people would want to pass up on Luck, Landry or Barkley. All have potential to be very good NFL QBs. I feel confident that if the Colts have a chance to take any one of those guys they will.

Colts could still fulfill other needs in later rounds @ SS, CB, OL, maybe bring in a WR or through FA (pending on how much $ they have). We also have no idea how good some of these young players the Colts have are yet as well Thomas, Rucker, Lefeged @ SS.

I think the Colts are doing a bit of rebuilding, though you're free to choose whichever word you want. I think they are getting rid of merely decent guys and trying our guys they think have higher upside. I think they are playing guys they normally wouldn't to gage upside. Normally, I think they play "win now". Lately they seem to be on a youth movement. I dig it.

I agree. Remodeling is a great word for it.

I do think the Colts desperately need to bring in a QB next year. I don't know why people would want to pass up on Luck, Landry or Barkley. All have potential to be very good NFL QBs. I feel confident that if the Colts have a chance to take any one of those guys they will.

Colts could still fulfill other needs in later rounds @ SS, CB, OL, maybe bring in a WR or through FA (pending on how much $ they have). We also have no idea how good some of these young players the Colts have are yet as well Thomas, Rucker, Lefeged @ SS.

Yes the Colts may want to find the potential QB of the future. The Colts will in all likelihood get a very early pick in the First Round. However, there are needs to be addressed now with that early pick. If PM comes back healthy I can't see picking a QB to carry a clipboard for several years.

If the Colts get the first pick (very possible), there are teams drooling over Luck, as I said if Peyton is back, using the first pick on a QB would be a waste. I think the wise move would be to see what that first pick is worth in multiple draft picks in a trade.

Yes the Colts may want to find the potential QB of the future. The Colts will in all likelihood get a very early pick in the First Round. However, there are needs to be addressed now with that early pick. If PM comes back healthy I can't see picking a QB to carry a clipboard for several years.

If the Colts get the first pick (very possible), there are teams drooling over Luck, as I said if Peyton is back, using the first pick on a QB would be a waste. I think the wise move would be to see what that first pick is worth in multiple draft picks in a trade.

If we have the first overall pick, it will be worth a lot to some QB needy team like Seattle or San Fran

That isn't rebuilding. That's simply patching while we wait for our star to return.

We didn't tear anything down.

We aren't building a new team for the future.

We are simply shoring up some holes to make things better for the Return of the King. This means that the existing team will be more well-rounded, but it will still play the same type of football.

This isn't a rebuild.

I agree with some of what you say, but it wouldn't be several years. My vote is 2-3 max. I have a hard time thinking Manning is going to play 4-5 more years. 4 seems unrealistic to me. I could also see Manning taking a hard sack and re-aggrivating things as well. If he does get injured and they pass an opportunity to draft a solid QB, people will be complaining why they didn't. Colts have no idea how he's going to fair anyways, he could get injured again, his arm might never be the same, multiple other problems could arise.

In the end, I just don't see the rational in NOT drafting a top tier QB next year to let Manning work with vs waiting for one with less talent who won't get as much time to learn under one of the greatest.

Colts could still acquire needs through other means and we can see it's necessary for the Colts to have a solid backup QB & a potential face for thr franchise as the Manning era comes to an end. He can't play forever.

In terms of trying to fill voids at certai spots we lack via the draft, it still will take those players time to develop anyways. I can't see us drafting a 1st round CB or what not an automatically assume in his firs year he's going to be a Revis. It might take a good 2-3 years for him to develop into anstud anyways.

Ack srry for typos, I blog on my mobile phone, meh...

The colts were rebuilding when Dungy left... ie an over haul of the coaching staff thats rebuilding... the colts right now are not rebuilding they just reloaded ie adding veterans.... I will say the colts are rebuilding when they freeney, mathis, wayne, saturday and guys like that arent starting anymore.

I agree with some of what you say, but it wouldn't be several years. My vote is 2-3 max. I have a hard time thinking Manning is going to play 4-5 more years. 4 seems unrealistic to me. I could also see Manning taking a hard sack and re-aggrivating things as well. If he does get injured and they pass an opportunity to draft a solid QB, people will be complaining why they didn't. Colts have no idea how he's going to fair anyways, he could get injured again, his arm might never be the same, multiple other problems could arise.

In the end, I just don't see the rational in NOT drafting a top tier QB next year to let Manning work with vs waiting for one with less talent who won't get as much time to learn under one of the greatest.

Colts could still acquire needs through other means and we can see it's necessary for the Colts to have a solid backup QB & a potential face for thr franchise as the Manning era comes to an end. He can't play forever.

In terms of trying to fill voids at certai spots we lack via the draft, it still will take those players time to develop anyways. I can't see us drafting a 1st round CB or what not an automatically assume in his firs year he's going to be a Revis. It might take a good 2-3 years for him to develop into anstud anyways.

Ack srry for typos, I blog on my mobile phone, meh...

Agree completely. I also don't think Manning will finish out his contract, of course thats just my opinion, but I think a lot of colts fans are having trouble coming to terms with the fact that Manning is actually human and is getting old. Very few QB's play till their 40 and the one's who do more often than not just end up being backups and are not very effective. Manning may be an exceptional QB but that don't mean that his body has superhuman abilities .

Agree completely. I also don't think Manning will finish out his contract, of course thats just my opinion, but I think a lot of colts fans are having trouble coming to terms with the fact that Manning is actually human and is getting old. Very few QB's play till their 40 and the one's who do more often than not just end up being backups and are not very effective. Manning may be an exceptional QB but that don't mean that his body has superhuman abilities .

Manning's best asset is and always has been his brain. If Brett Favre - a man whose entire game is based on his physical gifts and thinking as little as possible - can play to the age he did, Manning could play longer. As long as he regains enough of his health to be able to throw SOME semblance of a deep ball, he'd still be more effective than the vast majority of QBs in their prime.

Manning's best asset is and always has been his brain. If Brett Favre - a man whose entire game is based on his physical gifts and thinking as little as possible - can play to the age he did, Manning could play longer. As long as he regains enough of his health to be able to throw SOME semblance of a deep ball, he'd still be more effective than the vast majority of QBs in their prime.

You can't even compare the 2. Favre may not have done much thinking, but something he has that Manning wasn't blessed with, is great athletic ability. Favre could scramble around and take off running. You could probably count on 1 hand the amount of times Manning has scrambled in his career. Favre's athletic ability is what kept him in the game so long.

You can't even compare the 2. Favre may not have done much thinking, but something he has that Manning wasn't blessed with, is great athletic ability. Favre could scramble around and take off running. You could probably count on 1 hand the amount of times Manning has scrambled in his career. Favre's athletic ability is what kept him in the game so long.

I'm sure your right about Favre, but there are other indicators of athletic ability besides speed and mobility. Manning is an amazing athlete - and he's freaking huge. And Manning has never relied on mobility, so losing some wouldn't be a factor in his performance. Another comparison is Kurt Warner who was playing at an all-pro level when he retired at 38. Look at the guy. Do you doubt that he could still be playing if he wanted to? And Manning is significantly larger than he is.

A lot of the QBs who faded at that age looked like they could barely walk by the time the left the field. Not only is Manning dramatically larger than most of them, but he's playing in an era in which the QBs aren't allowed to be hit like they used to me. The more the Colts beef up their Oline, the longer he can play.