Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Greg Toler impressing in OTA's

BlueCollarColts

I think it's 7 #1 CB's Sherman,Revis,Haden,Peterson,Tillman,Bailey,and Taylor. These are the guys that rarely needs safety help you can roll coverage to the other side and they can completely shutdown the opposing team #1 WR. Davis has all the physical abilities of these guys but what seperates them is the mental aspect of the game.

Throw Lardarius Webb on there and drop Ike Taylor and I'd agree.

I think it's 7 #1 CB's Sherman,Revis,Haden,Peterson,Tillman,Bailey,and Taylor. These are the guys that rarely needs safety help you can roll coverage to the other side and they can completely shutdown the opposing team #1 WR. Davis has all the physical abilities of these guys but what seperates them is the mental aspect of the game.

Uhh...yes, those would be the ELITE #1 Corners in the league.  That's like saying the only starting caliber QB's in the league are Manning, Rodgers, and Brady.  

I really don't understand your argument.  Not every single corner in the league is going to be as good as Revis.... That doesn't mean they aren't good and are incapable of being #1 corners.  The #1 corner is the player who typically covers the #1 receiver.  That player on our team is Davis, and it's not by default. That's his talent level.  He's good enough to line up in front of the other teams best receiver and cover him. No, he's not as good as Revis, but he's still a VERY good corner and is right on that 2nd tier of players waiting to ascend into the top tier.

Also, you're evaluation of corners seems off.Of the 7 corner you listed, only one really goes on "the island" and that's Revis.  Sherman gets plenty of safety help, as do Peterson and Haden. Tillman is a Tampa-2 zone corner, Bailey USED to be a "shut-down #1 corner" but clearly is NOT anymore (though is still very very good). Call me dumb, but I have no idea who Taylor is.  I'm sure it's obvious, and once someone tells me I'll feel like an *. SO, please someone let me know.

Edit: Oh yeah. Ike Taylor.  Really? Him? In that list of corners? lol

I don't really believe in the "Shutdown CB" label. EVERYONE gets Caught on or Burnt at some point, just some more than others. Revis has his Share of being Burnt & Caught on numerous times. Especially that One hander Randy Moss had on him but Revis played like he was hurt. Wasn't nothing wrong with that man but the fact he was shocked he got embarrassed like that. Shocked him so much the shock went to his hamstring and that's why he claimed to be hurt

lmao

I don't really believe in the "Shutdown CB" label. EVERYONE gets Caught on or Burnt at some point, just some more than others. Revis has his Share of being Burnt & Caught on numerous times. Especially that One hander Randy Moss had on him but Revis played like he was hurt. Wasn't nothing wrong with that man but the fact he was shocked he got embarrassed like that. Shocked him so much the shock went to his hamstring and that's why he claimed to be hurt

lmao

Agreed, "Shutdown" is a term the talking heads like to give out.  I don't care who you are, you're not always gonna be the baddest man on the field.

lmao

I don't know that he was faking it. Missing 3 games because you got embarrassed doesn't seem to make much sense.

I don't know that he was faking it. Missing 3 games because you got embarrassed doesn't seem to make much sense.

Getting embarrassed can have a very harsh mental impact on you haha

Revis to Rex Ryan: Are you sure I'm a CB? I don't feel like much of a CB lmao

Go to YouTube and type in "Ginn burns Revis"

And then I'm sure we all remember the one handed TD catch Randy had on Revis

Revis got burned by Ginn but Revis was obviously expecting Safety help vs Moss ......Still the best Corners ever get beat sometimes just far far less then lesser Corners

Revis got burned by Ginn but Revis was obviously expecting Safety help vs Moss ......Still the best Corners ever get beat sometimes just far far less then lesser Corners

I said that. That's why I don't believe in the "Shutdown CB" label as I stated & explanied above

I said that. That's why I don't believe in the "Shutdown CB" label as I stated & explanied above

If your definition of "shutdown corner" is someone who's never had a bad play in his entire career then yeah you're correct. To everyone else "shutdown corner" is a term used to describe a guy who takes the best receiver out of the game 99 times out of 100.

There is no such thing as a TRUE  shutdown Corner but Revis was as close as they come pre injury, How he will be post injury has yet to be determined, He is on record as saying the minute he steps on the field he will be ready however,What separates most great Corners from good to even bad Corners is instincts and Revis's instincts have proven to be 2nd to none in the game today

If your definition of "shutdown corner" is someone who's never had a bad play in his entire career then yeah you're correct. To everyone else "shutdown corner" is a term used to describe a guy who takes the best receiver out of the game 99 times out of 100.

That's my definition of it, so it doesn't exist. I just label the Revis', Sherman, Etc. as top CB's. Not shutdown ones. But that's just me

There is no such thing as a TRUE shutdown Corner but Revis was as close as they come pre injury, How he will be post injury has yet to be determined, He is on record as saying the minute he steps on the field he will be ready however,What separates most great Corners from good to even bad Corners is instincts and Revis's instincts have proven to be 2nd to none in the game today

I'm not taking anything from him, he's a great CB. But I don't use the term shutdown. That's just me though

I'm not taking anything from him, he's a great CB. But I don't use the term shutdown. That's just me though

I try not to but Corners like him have separated themselves from the rest of the pack of other Corners in the league

This is a very exciting time. I think one thing we can say is that we are definitely better than last year. And to "Build the Monster," (which to me means building a solid sustainable success based on roster depth and talent development) that is what it is going to take. Getting better every year. We have the most important piece of the puzzle. We have our franchise QB. Mr. Irsay, RGI, and Coach Pagano definitely seem to have a vision. I can't wait!

This is a very exciting time. I think one thing we can say is that we are definitely better than last year. And to "Build the Monster," (which to me means building a solid sustainable success based on roster depth and talent development) that is what it is going to take. Getting better every year. We have the most important piece of the puzzle. We have our franchise QB. Mr. Irsay, RGI, and Coach Pagano definitely seem to have a vision. I can't wait!

Great username.