Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Worst 3-4 DLine group in the league? [Merge]

Pombi9

No, if that was the point you were making, then people would not read what they liked, and their opinion would not be richer for seeing every observation, not just those with rose-tinted glasses. I doubt you have watched every one of our D-Line players extensively throughout their career, as most of them haven't played much for the Colts... so you often have to rely on articles, stats and opinions of both experts and those on here which you value. So you are being contradictory to tell people not to read articles that are derogatory toward the Colts.

This is probably not the worst D-Line in football (3-4 I would imagine is the Saints), and it is probably not the best.

What this unit has is potential, but most other teams have more proven players, we have only Redding, who is getting on a bit. I like the fact that we have invested in scheme-fits... i.e. hold the line, tie up as many blockers as possible, and allow nobody through the middle. Will they do that? I hope so... but there is no evidence at this point.

Hate to say Frankiln is proven as well even though he is older so that is 2 of 3 projected starters on the dline. Ricky Jean Francois is a wild card if he is even the starter but, they saw enough in him while he was playing for one of the 2 teams that made it to the superbowl to take a chance on him.  We will just have to see if it pans out or not.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This whole thing reminds me of last year when NFLN and ESPN were quick to make us the worst team in the league within its power rankings. We ended up in the top ten by season's end!

I fully expect a similar turn out this year. I will be drafting the Colts D with one of my last picks in at least one of my leagues.

Hate to say Frankiln is proven as well even though he is older so that is 2 of 3 projected starters on the dline. Ricky Jean Francois is a wild card if he is even the starter but, they saw enough in him while he was playing for one of the 2 teams that made it to the superbowl to take a chance on him.  We will just have to see if it pans out or not.

Francois shows flashes, he is a penetrator, not quick off the snap very often but has quite a bit of short area speed, Sill that chance we are taking on him comes with a pretty large price tag considering what he has done in the NFL to this point.......4 years 22 mil....5.5 mill per year....Although according to spotrac if I am reading it correctly only 6.5 mill is guranteed

I don't think our front 7 was even that bad last year, it wasn't amazing at stopping the run but if you look at the other teams in our division every team has a great RB which is why we looked so bad.

Plus if you look at AP's stats i think the colts held him to the least yards all season.

To be fair AP was recovering from his horrendous injury and many did not know how he would return, it was still VERY early in the season at that point. it wasn't until about week 4 that he began to look like himself again.So I am not sure if we want to use that as a catalyst to gauge our Defense. 

I do however agree with your point about the division being stacked with great RB's though.

To be fair AP was recovering from his horrendous injury and many did not know how he would return, it was still VERY early in the season at that point. it wasn't until about week 4 that he began to look like himself again.So I am not sure if we want to use that as a catalyst to gauge our Defense. 

I do however agree with your point about the division being stacked with great RB's though.

True, didn't really think about the timing of the Vikings game tbh. But if you think without the previous context about his injury it does look good for the Colts rush defense on paper.

Also in that game he had the second least touches of any game and got a long of 6.

All i think of when i hear about how he came 9 yards short is "if he got that much more yards in the colts game he would have broke the record"

The most ironic part of this "rating" is that we arguably have the most overall talent in over a decade on the D-Line......even when Freeney and Mathis were in their prime the middle of the line was filled with league also rans.......overall, and with depth included this year we now have what should be a solid line, top 5? We will see; but the worst? I just don't see how you can add so much talent and potential and be the worst........this writer must not think much of the herd of beef we rolled into town.........or he is ignorant of it......I think the latter is true