Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Potential starters from this draft

BProland85

Maybe only the OG from the 3rd round.

Who is the 1st rounder going to start over? Mathis, no.

Walden? I have 16M reasons why not.

i made a comment when we drafted werner that he would start over mathis for run support reasons and to keep mathis fresher to get after the qb with werner on passing downs.

I said potential starters. Not necessarily starters this year. Even though Walden may start, Werner will get plenty of reps. He's too good not to and he has too much of a motor.

i made a comment when we drafted werner that he would start over mathis for run support reasons and to keep mathis fresher to get after the qb with werner on passing downs.

werner could very well wind up playing more often on suspected running downs, but mathis will still technically be listed as the starter

I said potential starters. Not necessarily starters this year. Even though Walden may start, Werner will get plenty of reps. He's too good not to and he has too much of a motor.

I see. Most likely after Mathis retires, or if Walden flops.

I don't see a need. Mathis is good in the run game, and was good in coverage last year.

Actually that 16 mill is not all guaranteed, just the first year money is (3,250,00.00$) if he is cut before the 5th league day of the 2014 league year we only owe hin his signing bonus I believe

I see. Most likely after Mathis retires, or if Walden flops.

I don't see a need. Mathis is good in the run game, and was good in coverage last year.

stopping the run really isnt mathis's strong point, but thats what werner and walden excel at.

werner could very well wind up playing more often on suspected running downs, but mathis will still technically be listed as the starter

yes mathis will technically be the starter, but my method I think would benefit the team when mathis is coming in to get the qb then having to stop opposing rbs

That's a reason?

I'd rather have my reason be 10 sacks or 15 tackles for loss, tackles or something besides money, basically let the production talk and whoever wins in training camp should start.

Matt Flynn had Millions of reasons but he lost his job in camp because he got outplayed, best player will start regardless of money

yes mathis will technically be the starter, but my method I think would benefit the team when mathis is coming in to get the qb then having to stop opposing rbs

Yeah I completely agree.  put the best players on the field for every given situation.  I was just saying (before someone challenged your idea of Werner starting over Mathis :) ) that Mathis, and walden, would likely still "start" but Werner may wind up with more snaps per game than either of them as the season goes on.

Probably just Werner and Thornton (I'm not really counting KR).  But, obviously, number of starters is not necessarily the best way to judge a draft class (I mean, how many 49ers draft picks last year and this year are/will be starters?)

I think all of these guys could contribute, and that's what's important.

I believe only 4m is guaranteed of that 16m contract.

Actually that 16 mill is not all guaranteed, just the first year money is (3,250,00.00$) if he is cut before the 5th league day of the 2014 league year we only owe hin his signing bonus I believe

I know not all is guaranteed, but I was simply saying we don't sign a guy like that to be 2nd string to a rookie. That is if he doesn't completely stink up training camp.

stopping the run really isnt mathis's strong point, but thats what werner and walden excel at.

He is definitely better at pass rushing, but he isn't a true liability in the run game he needs to be subbed out during the run. Maybe for breathers, but that is about it.

That's a reason?

I'd rather have my reason be 10 sacks or 15 tackles for loss, tackles or something besides money, basically let the production talk and whoever wins in training camp should start.

Matt Flynn had Millions of reasons but he lost his job in camp because he got outplayed, best player will start regardless of money

See above, and part of the reason was Flynn was injured. The same could happen, but under normal circumstances the LBs will be Erik and Robert.

Yeah I completely agree.  put the best players on the field for every given situation.  I was just saying (before someone challenged your idea of Werner starting over Mathis :) ) that Mathis, and walden, would likely still "start" but Werner may wind up with more snaps per game than either of them as the season goes on.

i also think it would help mathis too since hes not getting any younger

He is definitely better at pass rushing, but he isn't a true liability in the run game he needs to be subbed out during the run. Maybe for breathers, but that is about it.

not saying he should just come in only when its passing downs, but werner and walden should be the main guys outside during running plays. we're paying walden like a starter might as well use his strengths

Personally, I only see 2 potential starters.(Werner, Thornton) If Holmes gets stronger and more stout against NTs, then maybe 3.

How many do you see starting at some point?

Everything I read on Holmes said that he is very good in the zbs. If that is in fact what Pep does this year, he could be a starter

Thorton will start at G. Werner, Mathis, Walden and Hughes will all 4 rotate at OLB. Each will be in different packages. I think Walden/Werner will be in on rush downs in base. And Mathis/Hughes will be in during nickel/dime with Werner possibly playing DE during those times.

Bethea/Landry will be great. Hopefully our new S and Lefedged can develop into our staters.

Im still more worried about every corner past Vontae. Toler/Butler are boom or bust. Hopefully we strike gold in UDFA and find a good cover corner

The back half of the draft isn't about starters unless your team is woeful.But there's always a player or two who rise to the top after camp and preseason.

This team was woeful in the trenches and secondary..... So, get ready for changes