Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trading back multiple times for 2nd and 3rd round picks

Colts_Fan12

Depends on what is out there, but I feel this draft is deep enough that there is likely to be some really good value in the second. If the Colts move back a few spots at a time, I could certainly get behind that. Don't know how realistic it is, but I could live with it.

Depends on what is out there, but I feel this draft is deep enough that there is likely to be some really good value in the second. If the Colts move back a few spots at a time, I could certainly get behind that. Don't know how realistic it is, but I could live with it.

See that's my point if we could get some 2nd round picks we could get possibly Warford an OLB or even a S to possibly replace Bethea if he leaves after this season

I'd be thrilled to trade back twice.

Trade back the first time,  roughly 10-12 picks to the early/mid 30's.   At worst, you get a 2 and a 3.   Possibly more.

Trade back one more time,  roughly 10-12 picks to the early/mid 40's (middle of the 2nd round)  At worst you'll get a 4.   Possibly more.

Now,  your picks look like this....   2/3/3/4/4 6/7/7.    That's the worst case scenario.   If we get more picks, then so much the better.    

I still think this roster has lots of needs and there is great depth in this draft.   Quality players to be had in the middle rounds.  And the player we get in the 40's in the 2nd round is going to be a player the team really covets.  That's the way this draft lays out.

If there was ever a draft to trade out of the first round and gain more picks -- it's this one.

I doubt I'd want to do it in most years.   But this year?   Oh heck yeah!!      :thmup:

I'd be thrilled to trade back twice.

Trade back the first time, roughly 10-12 picks to the early/mid 30's. At worst, you get a 2 and a 3. Possibly more.

Trade back one more time, roughly 10-12 picks to the early/mid 40's (middle of the 2nd round) At worst you'll get a 4. Possibly more.

Now, your picks look like this.... 2/3/3/4/4 6/7/7. That's the worst case scenario. If we get more picks, then so much the better.

I still think this roster has lots of needs and there is great depth in this draft. Quality players to be had in the middle rounds. And the player we get in the 40's in the 2nd round is going to be a player the team really covets. That's the way this draft lays out.

If there was ever a draft to trade out of the first round and gain more picks -- it's this one.

I doubt I'd want to do it in most years. But this year? Oh heck yeah!! :thmup:

I agree with how deep it is we can get good value later

I would be a bit disappointed if they stay at 24, unless maybe Warmack falls to that spot.

I posted this on another thread, the Colts could trade with Philly and give them 24 in exchange for their 2 & 3.

Then trade that second rounder to the Bills for their 2nd and 4th.

That would have the Colts not picking until 41 overall but gets the two picks backs.

So they end up with picks

X

The Vikings with the pick before and after the Colts in the first round, it might hurt the Colts chances a little to pull off a good trade.

This is a weak draft class where I have seen it suggested that if you have a pick from about 20 to 40 you are really getting about the same quality of player no matter where you pick.  So there isn't much incentive for teams to move up unless they just really think they are going to get a steal.  I think this is going to be a hard year to trade back at the end of round one.  With that said because you can get roughly the same quality of player from picks 20 to 40 then if you are given the chance to trade back I think you should jump on it unless you are just in love with a guy you are going to take but again due to it being about the same quality of player I don't know how much teams are going to be in love with players from 20 to 40. 

I would be a bit disappointed if they stay at 24, unless maybe Warmack falls to that spot.

I posted this on another thread, the Colts could trade with Philly and give them 24 in exchange for their 2 & 3.

Then trade that second rounder to the Bills for their 2nd and 4th.

That would have the Colts not picking until 41 overall but gets the two picks backs.

So they end up with picks

X

The Vikings with the pick before and after the Colts in the first round, it might hurt the Colts chances a little to pull off a good trade.

Just because you want to trade doesn't mean others around you want to trade.  The Colts might get to 24 and find no one wants to move up to the 24th spot and they could be stuck there.  If they pick there it doesn't mean the Colts turned down a trade.  It could just be they couldn't find a trading partner. 

I still say trade up and get Warmack and Cooper.

Our biggest need is the offensive line. We have pretty solid starters and depth everywhere else.

Quality over quantity at this point.

i'm not down with that.. you'd probably need to move up to 10 to get one of those guards.. what would we need to give up for that move??

our 24th pick for sure, plus we don't have a 2nd round pick, so a 3rd, 4th and 6th?? i just don't see us having enough picks to trade away to make that move..

Every team in the first round is looking to trade back. Tough competition.

NFL.com is today reporting that Atlanta are looking to trade up to get a cornerback or a defensive lineman.

We could trade back from 24 to 30 but in order to get a 2nd we'd probably have to give up a late round pick or two.

It's just journalism I know, they may not be looking to trade back at all but this could work if they are. Then we could trade back another 5-10 places or so.

This is a weak draft class where I have seen it suggested that if you have a pick from about 20 to 40 you are really getting about the same quality of player no matter where you pick.  So there isn't much incentive for teams to move up unless they just really think they are going to get a steal.  I think this is going to be a hard year to trade back at the end of round one.  With that said because you can get roughly the same quality of player from picks 20 to 40 then if you are given the chance to trade back I think you should jump on it unless you are just in love with a guy you are going to take but again due to it being about the same quality of player I don't know how much teams are going to be in love with players from 20 to 40. 

I don't think this is a weak draft class.  It is an extremely deep draft class, but lacks the hyped-up super stars.  There's no Manning, there's no Luck, there's no AP, there's no Julius Peppers, etc... but there are a TON of guys that will have very successful NFL careers.  Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

I don't think it is a weak draft either. I have tried to put together a mock draft of my own and you get to the 24th pick and its a crap shoot. Seems like their are 20 players that seem to be rated fairly closely and no one stands out (unless someone slips to 24 like Cooper or Wamack or J. Jones). I am all for trading back once or twice if possible. If one could trade back twice I believe you have as good a chance or getting three guys that may be every bit as good as you may pick at 24. we will know for sure in a 10 days or less.

I think it is more likely to trade back just once.

But if a good RG or CB falls to 24, I see us taking one there.

Yeah I agree If cooper or warmack falls I would rather just take him at 24 then trade back I feel RG is the biggest need and a depth CB can be had later and I think if we can't get one this year then next years draft we can draft a safety to replace Bethea cause I think it's his last year here

Yeah I agree If cooper or warmack falls I would rather just take him at 24 then trade back I feel RG is the biggest need and a depth CB can be had later and I think if we can't get one this year then next years draft we can draft a safety to replace Bethea cause I think it's his last year here

If Cooper or Warmack fell then I can see taking a RG, or if Rhodes falls.

Why do you think Bethea is leaving?

If Cooper or Warmack fell then I can see taking a RG, or if Rhodes falls.

Why do you think Bethea is leaving?

It's the last year of his contract and I think unless he has a really good season or takes a hometown discount then Grigson will let him walk

It's the last year of his contract and I think unless he has a really good season or takes a hometown discount then Grigson will let him walk

Well I think it is a little early to assume anything about a contract. 

I see Bethea is one of the "pillar players" that Grigson talks about. 

Edited by Tark The Shark

Well I think it is a little early to assume anything about a contract.

I see Bethea is one of the "pillar players" that Grigson talks about.

But Bethea has not been as productive but with better players around him he might be better if so he will prolly stay

But Bethea has not been as productive but with better players around him he might be better if so he will prolly stay

Bethea has showed some signs of slowing but he is easily considered a team leader.

I except very good things from him with Landry able to be the 8th man in the box, and Bethea as the centerfielder.

Bethea has showed some signs of slowing but he is easily considered a team leader.

I except very good things from him with Landry able to be the 8th man in the box, and Bethea as the centerfielder.

I do believe with the better talent around him he will prolly improve he has been the only secondary player worth anything for awhile now he has help with Davis Toler and Landry

I think we are another CB away from having one of the best secondaries in the league.

Maybe depth but I have heard toler is a sleeper and can be really good but I really like Dj Hayden if cooper or warmack are both gone I would be happy if we picked him

Don't trade back unless you really don't like anyone, or feel like there are five guys you like equally and you'll be able to get one of them in your new spot. It all depends on who's there. But we should find a CB, WR, OLB or OL we like.

Can't just trade back with one or two players in mind hoping they are still on the board

People can get too cute trading back and wind up missing a really good football player staring you right in the face. That cost the Patriots Clay Matthews, among others. The only way I want us to trade back is if all of our top targets are gone. As Grigson said, if there's nobody you're excited to pick there, that's when you look to move back.