Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gavins Final Mock

I read somewhere that they did Zone but then we get into can who play in what such as Warmack for example, Bama seemed to play in a Zone scheme so does that mean Warmack would be a better fit in Zone?, I agree however Jones is likely a better fit in Zone simply because he is not the best of drive blockers out there, I will consider that when I do my next mock, Of course there are those O Linemen that can play in both 

I think Warmack can play man because he's a big, strong, powerful drive blocking animal.

I think Jones is a little light in weight for a man blocking scheme and I'm not sure his style would fit a man blocking scheme...

Just my hunch....   but I don't think we want a pair of 305 pound guards.   Thomas is 305 which is fine for the left side....   but I think on the right side, you want someone who can move Heaven and Earth....

We had a top 10 offense last year and that was with the worst offense line. We made huge additions with Cherilus and Donald Thomas that will make our offense even better. You don't need 5 great offensive linemen to have a great offense but at least 3. The problem last year was on a 4 man rush Justice or Mcglynn always needed help which led to 1 on 1''s with Link,Reitz. Now Cherilus,Castonzo,and Thomas can go 1 on 1 vs their man which leaves Satele and Mcglynn or Winters to double team the last pass rusher.We need a great pass rusher whether it's a interior player or OLB more then a guard.

That's you opinion and you have that right all I am saying is grigs wouldn't pass Cooper or Warmack up we need a RG cause its important for running the ball and that's gonna be a big part of peps offense

I think Warmack can play man because he's a big, strong, powerful drive blocking animal.

I think Jones is a little light in weight for a man blocking scheme and I'm not sure his style would fit a man blocking scheme...

Just my hunch....   but I don't think we want a pair of 305 pound guards.   Thomas is 305 which is fine for the left side....   but I think on the right side, you want someone who can move Heaven and Earth....

Agreed which brings me to this, Cooper is listed as 311lbs, now obviously 311lbs is not 306lbs (Jones listed weight on NFL.com) but obviously thats only a 5lb difference, Makes me wonder if Cooper is there if we will take him, Have to also consider that this draft (especially the 1st round or 2) is loaded with pass rushers and short on guys that fit the the ideal Man Blocking scheme, Of course other positions have to be considered but I dont think many of those are as likely as some people think, Maybe DE or WR or Corner if Rhodes is there, makes ya think for sure, I know most throw out there BPA, But how does one define that when they say that? If Grigson drafts a player does that automatically mean he is the bpa? What if the player he wants is not there and he drafts lets say a Corner, does that mean he was the BPA? Many many questions and not alot of clear cut answers, Got to love the draft 

Arthur Brown at 8... I'd like to think that there's a very good chance he's around when the Bills pick in the 2nd round.

Barrett Jones in the first is ridiculous.

Alex Okafor is not a first round pick.

Werner is falling, and will most likely not be a top 10 pick, although that's not out of the question.

Cooper falling to the Colts is maybe pushing it a bit, but guards do tend to fall, so I'll keep quiet there.

Datone Jones doesn't really fit in a 4-3, but rather is a 5 tech DE. I'd find it hard to see teams, especially 4-3 teams draft him and expect him to be a 4-3. He's a tweener.

This next one is my opinion, but I think Allen is better than Patterson. Again, that's just me.

Jets could do a lot better than Austin, and considering they released a few of their LBs, I assume they will go LB early on, or at least defense. 

I like Cyprien, and seeing him at 21 wouldn't be bad. He's talented!

I like Te'o to the Bears, and I think the same in that regard.

I also like the Richardson to Bucs pick.

There are a few question marks in this mock, but I wouldn't complain with Cooper. 

Datone Jones doesn't really fit in a 4-3, but rather is a 5 tech DE. I'd find it hard to see teams, especially 4-3 teams draft him and expect him to be a 4-3. He's a tweener.

what makes you think that Jones couldn't play 3-tech in a 4-3?  I'm genuinely curious because I don't know much about him.  And I just did a quick search and Gil Brandt says Jones would need to play DE in a 4-3:

The feeling with Jones is that he has to be play defense end in a 4-3 base defense in the NFL. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1631952

Which I'll admit I find a bit curious.  

what makes you think that Jones couldn't play 3-tech in a 4-3?  I'm genuinely curious because I don't know much about him.  And I just did a quick search and Gil Brandt says Jones would need to play DE in a 4-3:

He is better off in a 4-3......that is why I have shied away from he and some of the DE types.  We drafted Huges.....and tried to convert Freeney....I really want players that fit the 3-4.

He is better off in a 4-3......that is why I have shied away from he and some of the DE types.  We drafted Huges.....and tried to convert Freeney....I really want players that fit the 3-4.

In fairness neither Hughes or Freeney are 283lbs and Freeney we know was worthless against the run, Jones looked pretty good, I'd be curious to see if he could play the 3 technique  when we go with 4 down linemen (I dont think we will go Jones though)

Well, he's too small to play as a 3 tech. Unless he gains some mass and muscle he'll be overpowered.

DE makes some sense, but he doesn't have the edge speed to be dominant. That's what I took away from him, and that's what the majority of the experts are saying.

5 tech seems to be the best for him. 

wow if Cooper AND Jarvis Jones are still on the board at #24?!?  I'm probably one of the few who would say this but I think I'd rather go Jarvis Jones in that situation.

With 6 Guards on the team...I would too.  Olsen, Reitz, Linkenbach, Shipley/Satele, Griffith, Ijalana...

Well, he's too small to play as a 3 tech. Unless he gains some mass and muscle he'll be overpowered.

DE makes some sense, but he doesn't have the edge speed to be dominant. That's what I took away from him, and that's what the majority of the experts are saying.

5 tech seems to be the best for him.

If he's too small to play 3tech then he's certainly too small too play 5 tech...at least in our defense. In a 1 gap scheme he could work though. He strikes me as similar to Jamal Anderson and Tyler brayton...good at de in a 4 man front against the run or inside at 3 tech as a pass rusher.