Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vontae Davis

trueblueblood

That play where he speared that Cowboys WR was an example of how hard his wrap up hits are

lol yes but I'm sure 7/10 of his highlights will show him clearly looking for and making a big hit strictly leading with the shoulder not really wrapping. overall I hope he does make that big hit on someone cause I bet they won't try and catch it again while he's in the area.

Bethea will be a free agent. No need to cut him. Unless he has a really strong season, I doubt we franchise him, but it's a possibility, given the relatively low cost of tagging a safety.

You're right, it is a business. And I would hope that Grigson is just as quick to move on from one of his own draftees as he would be from Polian's. Those decisions should be made based on how the player is performing, not the "ties" or attachment the GM has to the player because he drafted him.

If Grigson doesn't re-sign Bethea next year,  it won't be because he's a Polian guy and not a Grigson guy.  

It will be because either Bethea's performance doesn't match his contract demands,  or Grigson thinks he can get as good a player either through FA or the draft for cheaper. 

But if Grigson is happy with Bethea's performance and finds his contract demands reasonable,  then he'll be re-signed.

Like they said in The Godfather.... It's business,  not personal.....

lol yes but I'm sure 7/10 of his highlights will show him clearly looking for and making a big hit strictly leading with the shoulder not really wrapping. overall I hope he does make that big hit on someone cause I bet they won't try and catch it again while he's in the area.

I'm telling you, he wraps up for majority of his hits

I'm telling you, he wraps up for majority of his hits

The Redskins poster on this board, RGIII says differently. And from seeing a lot of Jets games last season, I'm inclined to agree with him. He seems to always go for the big hit instead of wrapping people up. It wasn't terrible last season, but from what I've read and seen, it was a big problem for him in Washington.

Vontae was the main reason we won games late in the season, he was the difference maker on the defense.

We basically swapped Toler and Powers, so I think we need to grab a CB in the first round. CBs could drop because more QBs are getting first round consideration.

If we can grab a good CB or Guard, I would be happy with either. 

The Redskins poster on this board, RGIII says differently. And from seeing a lot of Jets games last season, I'm inclined to agree with him. He seems to always go for the big hit instead of wrapping people up. It wasn't terrible last season, but from what I've read and seen, it was a big problem for him in Washington.

That's in Washington. I saw a few of his games last year in NY. He does go for big hits without wrapping up sometimes. But when you get 100+ tackles, you gotta be using form & technique at some point. And with Pagano as his coach, he'll teach him to wrap up even more. We got ourselves a deadly weapon in that secondary now

Yep, he seems to rely on his brute strength and punishing hits than actually wrapping up, ala Pollard.

That's in Washington. I saw a few of his games last year in NY. He does go for big hits without wrapping up sometimes. But when you get 100+ tackles, you gotta be using form & technique at some point. And with Pagano as his coach, he'll teach him to wrap up even more. We got ourselves a deadly weapon in that secondary now

whether he wraps or not once he makes that one big hit receivers will not risk going for that ball. I agree we have a deadly weapon now bethea can just stay midfield and not have to play both positions at once lol.

whether he wraps or not once he makes that one big hit receivers will not risk going for that ball. I agree we have a deadly weapon now bethea can just stay midfield and not have to play both positions at once lol.

Exactly. I really hope this makes Bethea the Ballhawk that he showed a few flashes of back when we had Bob.

I can understand him not having a good year last year when Vaughn & Zib are your partners. I'm hoping this is a boost for him & he makes a few big plays

I think that statement is contradictory. If it's a business, like you say, then "ties" to players don't matter and Grigson could cut a player that he drafted just as easily as he could any other. Right?

Contradictory? No. But I agree with what you are saying.

I'm saying I hope Grigson wouldn't hold onto his picks more than a Na'Polian pick just because they aer his. But at the end of the day it is a business, and we will never know how he values a player whether it's his or not.

I have a problem with this idea.  We have Bethea and Landry.  While Landry may be a risk for injury, his starting spot is without question given the money he is being paid.

CB, on the other hand, outside of Davis and perhaps Toler, has 2-3 scrubs fighting for nickel and potential backup CB.  Butler is the leader of the group, but he is by no means a lock to remain with the team for more than the two seasons he is signed for.

All that said, I could see us take a corner in round 1 to eventually replace Toler and pair with Davis.  He can fight for the nickel/dime back position now, and be given quite a few more opportunities to contribute.  If we draft for a our secondary, I'd like to see corner earlier than safety.  All that said, I think we can find a solid safety later in the draft.

One safety who could be there well later in the draft is Damian Stafford.  He was one of the Huskers better players this past year, and he's dropped a bit in the draft due to the lack of any real studs in NU.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/daimion-stafford?id=2539266

I'd like to think he could be found in the 6th or 7th.  http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1824332

All that said, i think he could contribute as a backup S and on ST.  He does have a nose for the ball, and could be a roamer like Landry.

Like some people have suggested, Bethea might not be here next year. I hope he is, but regardless, we have to start prepping his replacement. He's 29 (not too old yet but up there) and the last year of his contract. I think Lefeged is decent, but he seems to be more of a depth player.

Also, all the analysts say Toler has all the ability in the world, but seems to have an issue staying healthy. If he goes down, are you confident putting Cassius "Stationary Neck" Vaughn back in as his replacement? I'm not.

Like some people have suggested, Bethea might not be here next year. I hope he is, but regardless, we have to start prepping his replacement. He's 29 (not too old yet but up there) and the last year of his contract. I think Lefeged is decent, but he seems to be more of a depth player.

Also, all the analysts say Toler has all the ability in the world, but seems to have an issue staying healthy. If he goes down, are you confident putting Cassius "Stationary Neck" Vaughn back in as his replacement? I'm not.

There have been many players dubbed that way just needing a new place and scenery and have flourished healthily with that team. I agree we need someone so Vaughn doesn't see the field much, but don't hold it against the guy until it starts hurting us.

I don't think you read what I wrote.  At least, with the respect to the CB position.

I am all for drafting a CB in the 1st to groom to eventually pair with Davis.  That part I see as probable, and after the acquisition of DHB, I see it as more probable than a 1st round WR which I thought was a good idea prior to the signing of DHB.

As to the safety, we nabbed Bethea in the later rounds.  We have 2 guys who are unquestioned starters of their positions.  While we may lose Bethea, we haven't lost him yet.  Bethea, knock on wood, has been reliable/healthy, and prior to the scheme change, was one of our best players.  Hopefully with Landry in the box, we can allow Bethea to cover.

All that said, we need depth at safety, but one of our starters is locked in for a while, while the other is not likely to be displaced this year.  I am comfortable with them finding depth later in the draft, but at the CB position, I could see a move earlier as this is now a passing league.  It is not only likely, but probable, that we will see an increase in 3 and 4 WR sets.  It is also likely that Toler or even Davis will miss a game or two this season.  We have a good amount of need for one more CB to bring along in the system.  With safety, we could have a need next year, or we could extend Bethea.  Who knows.  The more dire need is at CB, however.

Edit: As to Bethea's age... meh.  Ed Reed is 34.  Brian Dawkins was 38ish when he retired.

This is not to compare Bethea to those two, but simply the fact that he is at least a good 5 years away from retirement.  His health hasn't been an issue yet, so I suspect he could be in the league that long.  Whether with us or another team remains to be seen, but he's far from being close to done.