Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My Colts Draft...For Now

#24 – DT/DE John Jenkins / Georgia......gigantic but nimble D-lineman who can play both 3-4 spots

#86 – WR Da'Rick Rogers / Tennessee Tech.....highly talented knucklehead with 1st round skills, WR version of Janoris Jenkins??

#121 – FS Josh Evans / Florida.....smart center-fielder type guy with solid ball skills

#192 – OG Hugh Thornton / Illinois.....mauler who played OG & OT

#230 – SS Cooper Taylor / Richmond....big, smart SS and probably a good ST player

Mr. Irrelevant Comp Pick - OT Luke Marquardt / Azusa Pacific....hopefully a diamond in the rough and solid OL depth

Thoughts?

Dont want a NT in the 1st unless his name was Dontari Poe and that ships done sailed, Not alot I would really change about this draft except I'd replace Jenkins with Alex Okafor or Damontre Moore (I still dont think he falls though)

I got big kick out of the Jenkins interview on the NFL network. He was bright, funny, had it together.

This kid sure sounds like he is done horsing around and is ready to do what it takes to play some big time football.
Wish him good health and expect to see him make himself KNOWN.

Now at 339 from a top of 380, and still working.

D Rogers is a case, but has a lot of tools.

Hopkins pro day 40 time was a big jump from the combine. Makes him much more interesting.

Sorry Gav, I just don't see it. I know you love him, but IMO he looks slow, struggles to shed blocks and has virtually no pass rush moves what so ever. He bull rushes but then gets locked up by the o-lineman and has nothing else to get rid of his blocker.

If this is the best of his video's, it really does him a disservice. Time after time on run plays, he gets lost, can't see a run play develop, and the runner blows by him. Plays lazy, and don't go full out.

If you can`t produce at the College level what R Ya?

This guy has produced. Has size and at least good tools.

No reason he can`t be a good Pro. See what he can turn himself into in 2,3,4 years.

And no reason he couldn`t be better all-around than Waldon in time.

Value in the 1st round comes at pass rusher, WR, CB, LT.
Griggs would have to have some serious high expectations to pick outside of that this year. JMO

Sorry Gav, I just don't see it. I know you love him, but IMO he looks slow, struggles to shed blocks and has virtually no pass rush moves what so ever. He bull rushes but then gets locked up by the o-lineman and has nothing else to get rid of his blocker.

Ill agree he needs to increase his pass rush repertoire

Ill agree he needs to increase his pass rush repertoire

But even then, he is not bad against the run (Im not trying to say he is great against it but he is better then Freeney and even if he wasn't real good against the run thats not what he would be drafted for). He can play on both ends and even over the Center

But even then, he is not bad against the run (Im not trying to say he is great against it but he is better then Freeney and even if he wasn't real good against the run thats not what he would be drafted for). He can play on both ends and even over the Center

I don't want to make it seem as if I hate the guy, It's just if it were me(and obviously it's not) I don't think I would pick him before the 3rd rd. despite what his draft grade is. IMO at this point, he looks more like a backup. That's not to say he can't or won't improve, but that's just my impression of him now. If we were to pick him, I'll root like crazy for him to prove me wrong.

I'm hoping like last year the OG's in this years draft fall because of immediate other needs.  Especially since the defensive side of this years draft is stocked up on talent that Warmock or Cooper fall into the 20's and we try and nab one of them.  I mean its unlikely it will happen, but DeCastro from Stanford was the #1 guard and was drafted at 24.... so I have hope! I think we give Champman a shot at DT and have Nevis in the rotation for DE.  We just signed Franklin too so we have solid depth as well.  None of the DE/DT's stick out to me.  If Damontre Moore falls to us I'd  give him a shot, if not that a CB like Johnathan Banks would be good as well.

1) The LB corps and DL are finished for this year.  We've fillied in the depth chart in FA, so there will be no 1st round DL.

2) Love the Da'Rick Rogers pick.  That's my 3rd rounder too.  Wayne can mentor him into good work habits. 

3) Cooper is a good selection at a good time for us to think Safety.

4) We need a better OG.  I don't mind Thorton in that round, but we need someone better earlier on.  No depth at OG or OT right now.

5) Marquardt won't last past the 5th round.  No way.  We could wait to the 6th round to get an OT (since this is a bad OT year and we will likely have better values in early rounds), but you'll have to find a different target IMHO.

1.Trade down to 34 pick up an extra 3rd which the 49ers also have 2 of (49ers)http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-round/dt-by-round-input:3

2.Cornellius Carradine

3.Travis Frederick

3.David Amerson (raw but has great size, Pagano and staff can work with that)

4.Dan Buckner

6.Braden Wilson

7.Joe Vellano

I think that would be our best bet to trade out of the first round and pick up some picks later in the draft. 

i just cant seem to figure out why you like this guy...honestly to me the guy seems really slow, like said above he has no pass rushing moves and rarely gets any pressure on the QB, all he does is bull rush he has no fantastic moves that would make me want to draft him in the 1st round...im almost 99% sure this guy wont be a colt...

Thanks for the input....these mocks are fun and I try to keep it semi-realistic.

I'm still hoping for a slide with one of the premier OGs...namely Warmack....where he could come in and upgrade us from day one. Or if Warmack doesn't slide a trade-down would be nice, but again...too many crazy things would have to happen for either to take place and Al Davis is dead.

Thus the #24 spot will be tricky as far as landing a sure fire starter where we need one so Jenkins is a depth/DL rotation pick who did indeed play a lot of NT & DE at Georgia. Sylvester Williams, who I also like, and Datone Jones are possibilities if we go DL at #24....but Jones is not a NT.

The Francois and Franklin signings help, yes, but Franklin & Redding will turn 33 this year...and Moala, McKinney and Chapman are all coming off ACL injuries. Whether Nevis is a 3-4 fit is unsettled and he's been IR'd two years in a row. It may look like we have an abundance of depth there but we've seen that evaporate many times and once the DL is crippled we know the defense is in real trouble.

I'm personally not sold on a WR as a 1st round need...and Rogers at #86 provides not only great size but what many believe is 1st round talent anyway...assuming we're no longer in the business of insisting on a team full of choir boys.

Evans and Thornton are actually mid-round guys who I think can contribute due to Bethea's drop-off last season and our lousy OGs. IMO....Donald Thomas is a good signing but we need another.

With Cooper Taylor....most of his draft position is due to a heart-related situation that reportedly has been resolved with corrective surgery, and with Marquardt I'm relying on Grigson's OL expertise for a late round gem and for him to make the ultimate draft day slide.

One more month and we'll know! :)