Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My final thoughts before I go to sleep

AllYouNeedIsLuck

First off, I'm pretty ecstatic about Landry. When healthy like last year he is a pro bowl talent and at least a top 10 Safety in this league. And he's huge so he must be a hard hitter like that of Pollard. I was really pleasantly surprised to hear Toler and Butler were top 5 in opponents QBR last season. Maybe Toler is one of Grigson's smart finds who could be a great/star cornerback for us for years to come *crosses fingers*... Bethea, Landry, Davis, Butler and Toler make a solid secondary something we haven't had in a while. Bethea is talented but has never shown his true potential because of other deficiencies in the secondary. Same with Davis last year with us as he looked good but the secondary was getting beat cause of the likes of Vaughn and King. Anyway, in my opinion all 5 of them are above average with 3 of them having potential when healthy to be on the upper echelon of their positions (Davis, Bethea and Landry) 

So one of our biggest needs this offseason is for the most part set right now although there may be other moves. So our other biggest need, well biggest need imo, offensive line. We got Cherius from the Lions who I've heard has potential and I can see that with his size so I am happy about that. The guy from NE also looks promising but I think he should be more of an insurance type player. What about Long, Vollmer and Smith? I haven't heard much about them. Are we in the running of getting either? I'd really love to keep #12 protected and one of those would help immensely after we let Levitre and Vasquez slip by us. So just wondering about that. 

If we can make some other key changes this offseason I am exstatic about next year. Defense looks improved, O-line looks improved and Luck will have more experience. Now one other concern is WR. Avery, despite dropping a lot of passes, actually helped out and gained a good chunk of yards last season (i think like 781 yards and 3tds) so who do we replace him with? DHB? Jennings? K just wondering who's out there.

Btw, sorry if I used too much "we" and "us". I just feel like the Colts are close to my heart even if that sounds cheesy. I'm sure you all feel the same way too :) 

Long is outta the question. AC is our LT and we just got a RT from the Lions so we are set at T for now except maybe depth. All we really need is a guard on the line n I think we'd be fine(Granted Rietz shoed spurts of solid play when healthy so maybe with a little gelling he'd be a darn good starter).

I don't think there is a single Colts fan on this forum that doesn't refer to the Colts as "us" or "we" so we all understand haha.

I'm pretty excited about Landry too. I wanted a hard hitter back there and glad we didn't just sign Reed because he knows Reggie/Chuck. He's young and can be a great safety for a long time. Vontae is one of my favorite current Colts. This secondary looks great on paper, can't wait to see them on the field. They will be very aggressive and receivers will be scared. 

I'm also happy about the O Line signings. I think Cherius could be very good if he stays healthy, I'm honestly a little worried about that knee but we will see. Thomas from Patriots will be good too and pats fans seem to hate that he's gone, which is just an added bonus  :D . I doubt we sign any of those available tackles as we have Castonzo and now Cherius, no reason for them. I still regret not getting Vasquez, but that's more the Broncos fault than ours.

I would like another WR, probably not from Free Agency though as none of them really interest me. If we traded back in the draft and got a WR(like Justin Hunter) I would not be upset at all. The draft is really a toss-up, especially with Grigs...you saw what predictions really meant lol.

i believe its more we no longer have freeney,powers,collie,avery and justice im pretty sure our cap is still up there

Actually I believe it's less than $20 MIll.    We started with about $43 Mill.   The NFL Network most recently reported us at $37 Mill.   I think this reflects putting the franchise tag on MaAfee and putting tenders out to some of our own FA's.

We've now spent roughly $25-26 Mill for the 2013 season.    So, I suspect we've got less than $20 Mill left.  And we'll need most of that for our own FA's and draft picks and some for left-over emergencies.

Guys, I actually like the signings so far, except possibly the Walden signing. I am sure Grigson must see something in him and must have watched a lot of tape to pay $4M/16M overall. Plus the fact he acted on the first day to get him tells me he sees something he likes. One thing about Grigs, he is very good about scouting talent. He showed us all last year how good he is, so any doubts about his moves, I think he knows just a little bit more than me or anyone here.

Cherilus was overpaid yes, but he fills a desperate need. I think he would have been gone on the first day. I have read a lot about him, and many say it is actually his run blocking where he excels. May signal where the offense is heading, and not as many 7 step dropbacks, and keep Andrew on his feet.

Toler some will argue was overpaid, but I had read many articles about him before as a player to get who was under the radar, but should be snatched up. I think with Butler being resigned, we really upgraded the secondary. Toler is very physical, and this is what Chuck wants out of the corners.

Donald Thomas, everything I have heard is pretty positive, he was not too expensive, and should start at guard and be an upgrade. Yes I wanted Vasquez too and many will argue Denver got him cheap. I don't think 6M for a guard is cheap. Also, Vasquez may have looked at Denver and thought they are closer to the Super Bowl, and you can argue on paper is Denver is going to make a run, then they have to do it in the next two years. That may have influenced why he signed there. Still I think Thomas will start, or be a very good player for depth.

I really like the Laron Landry signing. I think 6M for him was a fair price, and with that signing, I really like are starting backfield on paper. We still need depth, but on paper, it sure is better than last year.

Sidbury, no idea, but we got him at the league minimum.

The important take away. Every one of the players is 28 or younger, which is very important. Good history as far as injuries. Additionally, I believe everyone of them will start next year, except Sidbury who I just don't know enough about.

So we gained at least 4 starters next year, possibly 5. We still have a good amount of cap space left, and with so many players still out there, we can fill some more spots out with some cheaper deals. In the end, I am not a big fan of spending a lot of money in FA. I think we did a pretty good job though of adding good players, and not over paying too much except in two cases. When you consider FA and what it has done to teams in the past, I will take that any day of the week.

One revision, good injury history except Toler. His history does scare me, but before FA I had read so many positives on him, and he is still young. I am not sure, but in reality, it is only the guaranteed $$ that counts, and only $5M of his is guaranteed, so it does not put us in a bad spot if his injuries come back to bite us!

Actually I believe it's less than $20 MIll.    We started with about $43 Mill.   The NFL Network most recently reported us at $37 Mill.   I think this reflects putting the franchise tag on MaAfee and putting tenders out to some of our own FA's.

We've now spent roughly $25-26 Mill for the 2013 season.    So, I suspect we've got less than $20 Mill left.  And we'll need most of that for our own FA's and draft picks and some for left-over emergencies.

Rookies will cost • The Colts have the smallest rookie pool allocation estimate, with $2,917,155 That's from Big Blue. I don't think the few free agents the colts resign will cost much at all. Who's left to sign ? Maybe Antonio Johnson and Jeff Linkenbach...I really dont see anyone else the Colts would resign.. maybe Karim. Anyway figure 1.5 million at the most. So another 4.5 mill. As you say , you need "reserves" but no way we used up most of the cap

Rookies will cost • The Colts have the smallest rookie pool allocation estimate, with $2,917,155 That's from Big Blue. I don't think the few free agents the colts resign will cost much at all. Who's left to sign ? Maybe Antonio Johnson and Jeff Linkenbach...I really dont see anyone else the Colts would resign.. maybe Karim. Anyway figure 1.5 million at the most. So another 4.5 mill. As you say , you need "reserves" but no way we used up most of the cap

Even if we don't re-sign most of our own free agents,  and I think eventually we will,  but even if we don't, we'll sign other FA types to replace them.   Those guys will cost somewhere between $500k and $1.0 mill each.   Those guys will add up.

And, if we trade down and gain extra picks, our rookie pool will grow.   And if we're allotted an extra compensatory pick or two, it'll grow some more.   Plus,  we won't spend every last dollar.   We'll save a few million, just in case we need to do some type of 

key trade before the season starts as we did this past year.

All of that,  no matter how small, eventually adds up.   It may not seem like much,  but it does add up.

The one free agent that I thought we should get, ended up coming here.

Not Vasquez, not Avril, Not Cason, Not DRC. I am very happy with Ironman LaRon

Landry.

I thought we were going to get Vasquez I was wrong. Then I heard we were interested in Landry and I was like come on let's please get him. Btw " ironman" is a perfect name for him. Let's hope he stays healthy.

I thought we were going to get Vasquez I was wrong. Then I heard we were interested in Landry and I was like come on let's please get him. Btw " ironman" is a perfect name for him. Let's hope he stays healthy.

I thought we would get him too, but I think the media reports hyped us up that we would get him and Avril. I am fine with who we ended up getting.

He is built like he is out of iron. They gave him that nickname in Washington because of his physique.