Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Butler & Toler were among the NFL’s best, statistically speaking

HarassedOffTheSite

http://blogs.indystar.com/coltsinsider/2013/03/13/colts-cbs-butler-toler-were-among-the-nfls-best-in-2012-statistically-speaking/

When it comes to a couple of cornerbacks the Colts signed – and re-signed – Tuesday, the numbers are very interesting.

The two corners are Greg Toler, an unrestricted free agent who left Arizona for Indy’s three-year, $15 million contract, and Darius Butler, who re-upped with the Colts for another two years.

Pro Football Focus is an excellent source of detailed information. I checked out the cornerback breakdown and it revealed – from the cold, hard numbers – that Butler and Toler were two of the top corners in the league in 2012.

The same PFF that we disagree with with regards to Erik Walden, is that right? :)

All kidding aside, I do believe it is easier to evaluate WRs and man CBs in terms of catch rate and completion percentage with sabermetrics than DLs or OLs or LBs.

We wont miss Jerraud Powers on the field, that is for sure. I do think we have our 3 starting CBs. We can get our nickel and dime depth guys in rounds 4 and later.

Toler is a gamer, not a shutdown corner but with that being said it is only a handful of shutdown corners in the league.  I believe he will fit into the system well opposite of Davis I feel good about the secondary. Landry was at Colts offices today.  If he is picked up that would really be a solid lineup.  Landry will just have to stay healthy.  Go Colts

yeah, really making me hate Green bay for jumping ahead of us and taking Heyward.  :hairout:

I always wondered what if with him.  There problem is we would not have drafted Dwayne Allen.  So knowing what we know now, would we prefer having Hayward or would you keep Allen?

but the big question is, will he be a starter or a back up??? we can not look past what butler did for us last year when he was put on the roster i think @ jacksonville and played pretty well, and he had a pretty good season considering. if Toler can come in and not get burnt and stick his guy consistently then I am happy. i dont care about INT's as long as he plays his position well. 

I always wondered what if with him.  There problem is we would not have drafted Dwayne Allen.  So knowing what we know now, would we prefer having Hayward or would you keep Allen?

I like Allen and am glad we have him, but if given the choice between the 2 I think I'd take Heyward. 

Toler is a gamer, not a shutdown corner but with that being said it is only a handful of shutdown corners in the league.  I believe he will fit into the system well opposite of Davis I feel good about the secondary. Landry was at Colts offices today.  If he is picked up that would really be a solid lineup.  Landry will just have to stay healthy.  Go Colts

If by handful you mean one, then you are correct

Shut down CB's don't exist. Revis has definitely had his shares of smelling burnt turf/grass.

Now, some CB's are better in coverage than others if that's what you mean

Darrelle Revis is a shutdown corner. He's allowed 1 100 yard receiver in the last 3 years.

Remember the wild card game where he held Reggie to 1 catch for 1 yard? I don't think any old corner could do that.

Darrelle Revis is a shutdown corner. He's allowed 1 100 yard receiver in the last 3 years.

Remember the wild card game where he held Reggie to 1 catch for 1 yard? I don't think any old corner could do that.

But he's been burnt multiple times as well. Yes, he's superior in coverage no question..... but I don't believe in the term shutdown CB

But he's been burnt multiple times as well. Yes, he's superior in coverage no question..... but I don't believe in the term shutdown CB

Well I don't know how often he gets burned considering he's only given 5 career TDs and a 44.6 catch rate.

Well I don't know how often he gets burned considering he's only given 5 career TDs and a 44.6 catch rate.

Randy Moss burned him, Ted Ginn burned him, & I wanna say Johnson (Bills) put work on him too. Like I said, great in coverage..... but everyone gets beat at some point

Randy Moss burned him, Ted Ginn burned him, & I wanna say Johnson (Bills) put work on him too. Like I said, great in coverage..... but everyone gets beat at some point

Of course, I was merely saying that he gets beat less than any player I've ever watched. 

Of course, I was merely saying that he gets beat less than any player I've ever watched. 

Like Dallas Clark pulled the element of surprise and got a completion when matched up vs Champ Bailey in 2009 on an outside route??? That was fun to watch, gotta admit that. :)

Shut down CB's don't exist.

That is something that cornerbackites will certainly never acknowledge.

Their rejoinder would be something along these lines...

THERE ARE SHUTDOWN CORNERS! And they singlehandedly make their team's Defense top shelf! And you come out with stink like that poop! You poop mouth! Get all the poop out of your mouth!