Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could The Team Be Better Served With A True Offensive Play Maker?

GoGoColts

1. We don't have the money.

2. Who would this player be? There is no one out there available who fits what you are asking.

If you say "Moss," you simply haven't kept up with the overwhelming amounts of information which explain, in detail, how we did contact him, but he turned us down. He either wanted 3 years + big money, or he was retiring. Every team balked so he chose the latter.

Reggie is the best offensive player that we we have right now. Should the team look into a top receiver that is either red zone threat or deep threat?

There isn't a single guy on the team who you can just dump the ball off to who can score.

What are you proposing - trading for a playmaking receiver?

There are very few players who win "one on multiple defender" battles for very long. They are usually undersized, and all it takes is a hamstring pull (much less a hard hit) to render them useless. I consider players like that to be novelties. IE: DeSean Jackson of the Eagles. He can win a game all by himself right now, but there is no way in heck that he has as long or as successful a career as Reggie. I can understand why he tries to force the Eagles to pay him NOW.

I think that the Colts have numerous players who can score from far out - they just don't have a QB who can get them the ball in the right place, nor an Oline that can hold up long enough for them to get open.

None of that changes the fact that Reggie and Dallas are getting old and others have injury concerns. If the Colts are confident about Peyton's health come next draft day, I would absolutely expect the first round pick to be a new skill player.

Reggie/Collie/Dallas can still get open on ANYONE, ANYONE in this league. No playmaker is going to give us more W's this year. Maybe in the future, but the problem now lies with QB. If Peyton was here, you know, throwing the football unlike someone else, they would all have great stats (just like last year!). Would he love a 6'4 receiver? Who wouldn't, they are the rarest breed because most that tall cannot run with elite speed or execute crisp routes (what Peyton needs).

Addai can get open... Pierre will abuse anyone, he got two straight holding calls on Haden yesterday before our offense went to the hole. He just needs to catch, which he is looking better with this year. We have one of the deepest squads in the league with a burner 1st round pick WR (Gonzo) as our #4 because he is always injured! That is depth if I've ever seen it. If Peyton were here, we'd have a Greatest Show on Turf.

However, that all being said, if he is 100% come draft day, I'd love a WR to start playing behind Reggie (Just like Reggie did ala Marvin)... or a monster G/DT/CB.

darren sproles was out there. he would have killed two birds with one stone for the colts. his deal with the saints is 4yrs 14 million with only 6 million guaranteed. but why sign him when you can sign washed up players like tommie harris or busts like jamal anderson??

Why didn't anyone inform me Dallas Clark and Joe Addai retired in the past 24 hours?!

Truth.

We have playmakers, they just aren't making plays. Dallas was woeful Sunday, Collie was droppin passes that were off-target, but catchable. Reggie still has it, he just can't expect to be bailed out by the refs.

To this point, I'm blaming the coaches. They are calling ridiculously vanilla offensive plays. I know Collins is new here and we're keepin it simple, but c'mon man. There seems to be a lack of adjustment by our staff. Figure it out, Caldwell.

Oh yea, did anyone else notice how poorly Collins sold the play-fake? His playaction "handoffs" were utterly inept. He would fake the hand-off without even getting near Addai.

Guys, lets not confuse Dallas Clark with the great tight ends in this leage like Gates or even an aging Gonzalez.

We have a bunch of catch and get tackled guys on our team. Dallas honestly has trouble getting separation, Peyton would literally thread the ball to him. We need to draft a receiver who can make some plays whether that is a super tight end, a Paexico like receiver, or a Jeremy Maclin. We need a guy who can either get separation and score a TD from deep or we need a guy who can go up and get the ball in the red zone. Clark makes plays because of the offense and Peyton's accuracy, not because he can create something.

Guys, lets not confuse Dallas Clark with the great tight ends in this leage like Gates or even an aging Gonzalez.

We have a bunch of catch and get tackled guys on our team. Dallas honestly has trouble getting separation, Peyton would literally thread the ball to him. We need to draft a receiver who can make some plays whether that is a super tight end, a Paexico like receiver, or a Jeremy Maclin. We need a guy who can either get separation and score a TD from deep or we need a guy who can go up and get the ball in the red zone. Clark makes plays because of the offense and Peyton's accuracy, not because he can create something.

Who are you not seeing Dallas get separation from? If it's a CB or safety then no, he shouldn't be getting separation. The thing about Clark is he's a mismatch for anyone. He's bigger and stronger than a CB or SS/FS so he can be more physical with those smaller guys, and he's too fast and his talent is generally going to allow him to beat a LB. He also arguably has one of the best pair of hands in the league.

Who are you not seeing Dallas get separation from? If it's a CB or safety then no, he shouldn't be getting separation. The thing about Clark is he's a mismatch for anyone. He's bigger and stronger than a CB or SS/FS so he can be more physical with those smaller guys, and he's too fast and his talent is generally going to allow him to beat a LB. He also arguably has one of the best pair of hands in the league.

Honestly, there are 5 guys in this league who can play as well as Dallas.

First off the answer to the question is an obvious yes. Of course they need playmakers. They lack explosive talent on both sides of the ball.

Having said that, you WAAAAAAY undersell Dallas and his ability to get separation.

It would be a big relief, but they're not so easy to find. I expect to see someone get Drafted next year. We have passed on DeSean Jackson, Johnny Knox and players of that style.

Next year Reggie's contract is up, and I don't expect to see Gonzo back, so I think it's a great possibility to see a true playmaker at WR drafted in the 2nd or 3rd Round.

our o-line allows 2 sec to throw how much separation can you get? but i agree we need a burner who can get open even in 2 sec