Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ed Reed hires an agent... Further Indy speculation.

A source tells Profootballtalk rumors that free agent Ed Reed is drawing interest from the 49ers are "a smokescreen aimed at creating interest," and that it's "most likely not happening."

Welcome to free agency. Reed would be a perfectly logical fit for the 49ers, but may not fit their budget after they took on Anquan Boldin's $6 million salary Monday. We expect Reed to draw immediate interest from the Patriots and Colts. It's not a given that he's done in Baltimore, but likely.

Related: 49ers

Source: Profootballtalk on Twitter Mar 12 - 2:47 PM

A source tells Profootballtalk rumors that free agent Ed Reed is drawing interest from the 49ers are "a smokescreen aimed at creating interest," and that it's "most likely not happening."

Welcome to free agency. Reed would be a perfectly logical fit for the 49ers, but may not fit their budget after they took on Anquan Boldin's $6 million salary Monday. We expect Reed to draw immediate interest from the Patriots and Colts. It's not a given that he's done in Baltimore, but likely.

Related: 49ers

Source: Profootballtalk on Twitter Mar 12 - 2:47 PM

I just saw that....If we sign Reed I'm not convinced that we won't draft his replacement this year.

Good suggestion Dustin about drafting Thomas, hope he falls to us.

I would just " like" your post but apparently I don't have permission, I think it has to do with Brownsburgs ridiculous Internet service. I catch a 4G connection for a few seconds, then rolls down to 3G but its not really 3G, it's about as fast as dial up. Brownsburgs is only 10 min away from i465.

JoKeR, on 12 Mar 2013 - 14:30, said:

Good suggestion Dustin about drafting Thomas, hope he falls to us.

I would just " like" your post but apparently I don't have permission, I think it has to do with Brownsburgs ridiculous Internet service. I catch a 4G connection for a few seconds, then rolls down to 3G but its not really 3G, it's about as fast as dial up. Brownsburgs is only 10 min away from i465.

Wow, that sucks. When I was living in Glasgow Kentucky which is a town of about 20K people, I even had 20 MB internet and 4G LTE speeds. Get with the times Brownsburgs!

Wow, that sucks. When I was living in Glasgow Kentucky which is a town of about 20K people, I even had 20 MB internet and 4G LTE speeds. Get with the times Brownsburgs!

Brownsburg is well off too, doesn't make sense being so close to Indy.

The Baltimore Sun reports the Ravens are "definitely not out of the picture" for the Ravens.<br />The 49ers showed initial interest in Reed, but a more recent report deemed it a "smokescreen," and neither the Colts nor Patriots seem to be aggressively pursuing him. The Ravens have some cap room after the Dolphins overpaid Dannell Ellerbe, and cutting Bernard Pollard. They are positioned to afford keeping Reed.<br />Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter Mar 13 - 12:32 PM

The Baltimore Sun reports the Ravens are "definitely not out of the picture" for the Ravens.<br />The 49ers showed initial interest in Reed, but a more recent report deemed it a "smokescreen," and neither the Colts nor Patriots seem to be aggressively pursuing him. The Ravens have some cap room after the Dolphins overpaid Dannell Ellerbe, and cutting Bernard Pollard. They are positioned to afford keeping Reed.<br />Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter Mar 13 - 12:32 PM

Well I'm glad the Ravens are "definitely not out of the picture" for the Ravens. lmao . I know what you meant, I noticed that typo on Rotoworld.

Free agent S Ed Reed remains in Houston on a visit with the Texans Friday.

Reed has been meeting with Texans officials since early Thursday. Per beat writer John McClain, the two sides were "close" to getting a deal done Thursday night. It sounds like only contract details need to be haggled out, but ESPN's Adam Schefter isn't so sure this one is in the bag. Early Friday morning, he said the chances of Reed officially joining the Texans is "50-50 at best."

Source: Texans on Twitter Mar 15 - 10:36 AM

I don't see this happening but if Reed was willing to take less than Bethea was making it would worth it. That would be highly unlikely but if he went for 2 yrs 10 mill that would be an upgrade for us. I don't think we cut Bethea but if we get something for like a 2nd rounder that would certainly make us feel better.

All that said he left Houston to give Baltimore a chance to match his contract offer. 99% certain he is going to be a Texan. Baltimore has gutted its team...I just don't see how he fits their plans...they might as well blow it up like we did last year. They have a decent offense. They could go 8-8 while rebuilding the defense and be back in the playoffs in a year or so.

By the way....its the same agent that represents Reggie Wayne.

At this point, I guess we can only hope he gives us a "Pagano" discount....he's the best FS in NFL history but IMO, any more than $2-3M per year is overpaying.

Reed and Wayne are best friends and former college teammates and roommates.  That has no bearing on whether we should go after him however.  Personally, I'd like Reed to finish as a career Raven.

Reed and Wayne are best friends and former college teammates and roommates.  That has no bearing on whether we should go after him however.  Personally, I'd like Reed to finish as a career Raven.

Yes....and Chuck Pagano recruited him to the U.

It all depends on Reed's price. Should he have been a priority free agent for us? Absolutely not.

But if I have the choice between Antoine Bethea at the $5.7M he's slated to make in 2013 or Ed Reed at $2-3M....I'll take Ed Reed in a heartbeat and draft a Free Safety to apprentice under him.

Bethea is finishing up a contract that guaranteed him $18M over 4 years so he's no bargain after what I thought was a pretty soft 2012 season.

Reed knew that the Ravens had other free agency headaches to deal with and tested the market for one more big payday, but these 30-something guys need to wake up to the fact that the only players will command stupid-big money contracts at that age are QBs.