Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eric Winston Released by Chiefs [Merge]

Jules

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another guy that is the same age but I think would fit our OL blocking scheme better at RT is Jeremy Trueblood.

He was benched by the Bucs last year, he is from Indianapolis but went to Boston College and BC has a good history of OL in the NFL.

Can anyone tell me why he was benched after winning the gig at RT and starting game 1? He is 29 too, same age as Eric Winston.

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=7808&team=27

Trueblood was coming off his 2 best years giving up 3.5 and 5.0 sacks in 2010 and 2011 but after game 1, he was just benched. I think his injuries are adding up and that is a red flag to me, looking at it objectively.

Winston Justice gave up 3.5 sacks in 12 games, folks. He is young as well. My issue is with the interior because Winston Justice, while not a world beater, has done his job just as well as several free agents out there for RT. Take a look here:

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=7788&team=11

In fact, our worst O-lineman, in terms of sacks, was Anthony Castanzo who gave up 11 sacks in 16 games.

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=24809&team=11

Numbers, again, are not the be-all and end-all, but 11 sacks is high enough for a left tackle, IMO. However, Luck holding on to the ball is a big factor too. Clady, with Tebow and Orton, gave up 9 sacks. But with Peyton, just 1 sack. Bushrod, with Brees, 3 and 4.5 sacks.

There is a reason Trueblood was benched for an unknown in TB.

According to PFF, in 2011 Trueblood ranked 72 of 76 qualifying OTs with a -20.9 overall (-11.7. PB, -9.2 RB), for comparison our beloved Link rated 70 of 76 with -18.3 overall (-7.8 PB, -15.4 RB). In 2010 Trueblood wasn't much better, ranking 62 of 78 qualifying OTs with a -12.2 overall (-12.3 PB, 0.8 RB) and that was in only 9 games taking half the snaps of 2011. Sacks allowed can be very misleading.

What I like about Jeremy Trueblood? He has a cool name. Outside of that? Nothing.

Winston can play and would be an immediate upgrade for us.

Really dumb move of KC to cut him now, honestly. This all but guarantees the rest of the league they're going to go OT first, and Winston wasn't a weak link on their OL by any stretch.

Not necessarily. Donald Stephenson reportedly filled in quite nicely for an injured Brandon Albert...so I could see them going with Albert at LT and Stephenson at RT.

Not necessarily. Donald Stephenson reportedly filled in quite nicely for an injured Brandon Albert...so I could see them going with Albert at LT and Stephenson at RT.

Snaps  Overall     Pass Block Screen Block Run Block Penalty

380  |   -6.5   |      -7.2        |      0.0             |       2.5    |  -1.8    |     

I highly doubt he gave them enough confidence to both: 1. Cut a high level starting RT and 2. Pass up a number 1 pick level RT.

Snaps  Overall     Pass Block Screen Block Run Block Penalty

380  |   -6.5   |      -7.2        |      0.0             |       2.5    |  -1.8    |     

I highly doubt he gave them enough confidence to both: 1. Cut a high level starting RT and 2. Pass up a number 1 pick level RT.

Whatever that is. I just highly doubt the chiefs are going to pay Albert big money and then draft a guy number 1 to play RT

Whatever that is. I just highly doubt the chiefs are going to pay Albert big money and then draft a guy number 1 to play RT

That's Donald Stephenson's underwhelming performance grade according to PFF. He's not exactly the type of player you release a very good OT and skip out on a stud in the draft.

The release of Winston all but guarantees the Chiefs #1 will be Luke Joeckel.

Yep...may the highest bidder win. :D I'm sure 12 wouldn't mind having a guy like Winston protecting his strong side.

HERE YOU GO!!!!

Texans | Have contacted Eric Winston Thu Mar 7, 01:05 PM

The Houston Texans have reached out to free-agent OT Eric Winston (Chiefs).

Our view: No surprise here. The Texans lost Winston in free agency last year and would like to bring him back.

Link to story http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/dneagles/Has-Andy-Given-Eagles-an-Assist.html?ref=twitter.com

Somebody please run a DNA test here. I'm serious.

If we pick Eric Winston up, I know what my first question will be: Are you glad that your son is on the team Grigs & do you expect your boy to make the roster this regular season? ​ HA! HA! Just Kidding! 

I haven't been this floored since Darth Vader said "Luke, I am your father" in "Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back"...Wow!

That's Donald Stephenson's underwhelming performance grade according to PFF. He's not exactly the type of player you release a very good OT and skip out on a stud in the draft.

The release of Winston all but guarantees the Chiefs #1 will be Luke Joeckel.

Oh, well if pff says so.

HERE YOU GO!!!!Texans | Have contacted Eric Winston Thu Mar 7, 01:05 PMThe Houston Texans have reached out to free-agent OT Eric Winston (Chiefs).Our view: No surprise here. The Texans lost Winston in free agency last year and would like to bring him back.Link to story http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/dneagles/Has-Andy-Given-Eagles-an-Assist.html?ref=twitter.com

Do the texans even have the money to sign him?

HERE YOU GO!!!!

Our view: No surprise here. The Texans lost Winston in free agency last year and would like to bring him back.

Link to story http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/dneagles/Has-Andy-Given-Eagles-an-Assist.html?ref=twitter.com

aw-yeah.png

HERE YOU GO!!!!

aw-yeah.png

Now all you guys need is a #2 corner to cover TY and you guys might be able to compete for the division in a few years.  :stir: 

Now all you guys need is a #2 corner to cover TY and you guys might be able to compete for the division in a few years.  :stir: 

Hehe wait till we get Keenan Allen or another real number 2 WR...along with the ground game...we won't have to worry about the secondary if we outscore the opposition. :heh:

Hehe wait till we get Keenan Allen or another real number 2 WR...along with the ground game...we won't have to worry about the secondary if we outscore the opposition. :heh:

Well seeing as how we're getting Vaughn back it seems it really doesn't matter who the opposition's #2 receiver is anyway. haha

Well seeing as how we're getting Vaughn back it seems it really doesn't matter who the opposition's #2 receiver is anyway. haha

Lol I doubt he'll start, Grigson's probably gonna grab a top rook corner in the first round lol. But if not, I think you're right. :dancing: haha