Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I No Longer Take Joe Theismann Seriously

21isSuperman

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/09/17/theismann-rodgers-is-greatest-passer-ever/?module=HP11_content_stream

“Rodgers, in my personal opinion, is the greatest quarterback when it comes to throwing the football ever to play the game,” Theismann said on “Playbook” Friday

--

Wow, really? He's just falling for the hype. Rodgers is better than Unitas, Montana, Manning and Brady? Personally, I would take any of those guys over Rodgers. He's talking out of emotion rather than out of reason (and from what I remember, he does this a lot). I no longer take this guy seriously.

“Rodgers, in my personal opinion, is the greatest quarterback when it comes to throwing the football ever to play the game,” Theismann said on “Playbook” Friday

I used to (kinda sorta) root for Theismann as a player because his home town is about 10 miles from mine. That unfortunately doesn't make it any easier to listen to him. The above blurting is just ridiculous and apparently based on about five minutes of recent film study involving - uhhh - probably just Rodgers if I had to guess.

I think what he meant is that he's the best thrower, like how he throws the ball. He throws it extremely well, accurate and quick. I think that he could be the best thrower of the football, however, he is not in the top 10 for best quarterbacks of all time.

I think what he meant is that he's the best thrower, like how he throws the ball. He throws it extremely well, accurate and quick. I think that he could be the best thrower of the football, however, he is not in the top 10 for best quarterbacks of all time.

He's certainly a "pretty" thrower, it's a beautiful delivery, crisp, accurate etc. but best of all time has to cover a lot more than that AND for a long time.

He's certainly a "pretty" thrower, it's a beautiful delivery, crisp, accurate etc. but best of all time has to cover a lot more than that AND for a long time.

Best all time means pretty throws and good decisions for 8-10+, not a single season. If we are going by Theismann's logic, Matt Cassel would be too after the '08 Pats season.

(200th post, yay!)

i stopped giving any credence to theismann when vick was scrambling during a pro bowl game (this was before he was incarcerated), threw up a hail mary that miraculously was caught, and joe exclaimed, see, that's why vick is such a great qb

i think it was jaws who then said, what the heck are you talking about

haha

yah this is the way that i understod the comment . . . just as he made the comment, the show showed a beautiful arcing throw by Rogers . . . so for me it was just comment regarding the throwing of the ball . . . of coarse that is only one aspect of many that involved the QB . . . as such i did not view Joe saying anything really regarding his ability as a QB

i stopped giving any credence to theismann when vick was scrambling during a pro bowl game (this was before he was incarcerated), threw up a hail mary that miraculously was caught, and joe exclaimed, see, that's why vick is such a great qb

i think it was jaws who then said, what the heck are you talking about

haha

Didn't see the game but I would venture to guess Joe was referring more to the scramble and ability to make a play out of nothing than the throw. Just my hunch though.

Personally I love Joe Theismann....I'd put him back on Monday Night Football in a second if I could and get rid of Jaworski. Theismann is very passionate about football so he has very strong opinions and he's not afraid to speak his mind. He also has been more than willing to admin when he was wrong and flat out says "Hey I was wrong" instead of trying to dance around it, say he could have worded something differently etc. A lot of commentators do their best to be PC and make excuses for some teams when something goes wrong or the coach makes a bad decision or the refs make a bad call saying things like "well from that angle I can see what he was thinking" or "well we're watching this in slo-mo so I can see where it might have been more difficult to see in real time"....things like that. He doesn't do that if he doesn't think that's the case. He's not one to try and cover his butt just to keep people happy. He says what he feels and he makes no apologies for it if that's the way he truly feels. When he misses a call though he's more than willing to admit it. These are the best ways I can think to explain the reasons I like him. All I know is the day the Monday Night Football lineup changed was a sad day for me.

And come on, let's be real....commentators make statements like that during every game they call. One week Gruden will say that Dallas Clark is the best tight end in the league but the next it'll be Antonio Gates. One week Jaws says no QB throws a better deep ball than Drew Brees but the next week it's Phillip Rivers.

^^this^^

the way rodgers throws those 20-30 yarders reminds me of a young dan marino....on a rope.

Didn't see the game but I would venture to guess Joe was referring more to the scramble and ability to make a play out of nothing than the throw. Just my hunch though.

Personally I love Joe Theismann....I'd put him back on Monday Night Football in a second if I could and get rid of Jaworski. Theismann is very passionate about football so he has very strong opinions and he's not afraid to speak his mind. He also has been more than willing to admin when he was wrong and flat out says "Hey I was wrong" instead of trying to dance around it, say he could have worded something differently etc. A lot of commentators do their best to be PC and make excuses for some teams when something goes wrong or the coach makes a bad decision or the refs make a bad call saying things like "well from that angle I can see what he was thinking" or "well we're watching this in slo-mo so I can see where it might have been more difficult to see in real time"....things like that. He doesn't do that if he doesn't think that's the case. He's not one to try and cover his butt just to keep people happy. He says what he feels and he makes no apologies for it if that's the way he truly feels. When he misses a call though he's more than willing to admit it. These are the best ways I can think to explain the reasons I like him. All I know is the day the Monday Night Football lineup changed was a sad day for me.

And come on, let's be real....commentators make statements like that during every game they call. One week Gruden will say that Dallas Clark is the best tight end in the league but the next it'll be Antonio Gates. One week Jaws says no QB throws a better deep ball than Drew Brees but the next week it's Phillip Rivers.

+1

hated him as a player, but always liked him as a commentator

That's also how I took it Andy.

I'm not a huge fan of Theismann as an announcer or analyst. But I don't think he's that ridiculously short-sighted that he'd peg Rodgers as one of the best ever when he's only been starting for a few seasons now.