Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Build the Monster OL

I would love for our OL to eventually look like the 49ers OL. That being said we need some talent brought in to do so...

I could very well see us bringing in OG Louis Vasquez from San Diego since he has ties to both Manusky and Hal Hunter who was the OL coach in 2012 there.

Then in the draft I want us to target either Chance Warmack if he falls to 15 overall and trade up a little to get him, or get another OG like Warford or Winters.

Having 2 great OGs would vastly improve our OL since Luck could not worry about the interior pocket colapsing, along with a much added boost to our running game. Our RT spot could be filled by either Reitz or Justice with Linkenbach providing depth.

I know Warmack is good, but Johnathon Cooper fits our offense more. Hes a better Pass blocker and wrestled all through High school so he definantly knows how to use his hands better. Hes in Much Better shape too. Lighter on his feet and ripped with an attitude.

San Diego is not going to let Vasquez go. They won't franchise him so he could come here I guess if he has ties to the coaches, and is tired of San Diego. I don't know the answer to that but I have read several articles saying San Diego would make it a priority to resign Vasquez. I would love to get him to, but usually players stay with their old team if offered a nice contract. Plus SD is a beautiful city to live in, so there is that. Not saying Indy isn't, just right now I would not mind 70 degree weather. :clap:

San Diego is not going to let Vasquez go. They won't franchise him so he could come here I guess if he has ties to the coaches, and is tired of San Diego. I don't know the answer to that but I have read several articles saying San Diego would make it a priority to resign Vasquez. I would love to get him to, but usually players stay with their old team if offered a nice contract. Plus SD is a beautiful city to live in, so there is that. Not saying Indy isn't, just right now I would not mind 70 degree weather. :clap:

San Diego is extremely cash strapped. They are only 8.7 million under the cap and all their starting CB's are FA's, 2 out of 4 starting LBers are free agents and all but 1 of their guards are free agents. Not to mention the 15 or so other free agents they have. Could they make it all work? I doubt it!. Could they keep Vasquez and let the majority of the rest of their starting free agents walk? Maybe, but that would be extremely stupid.

I would love for our OL to eventually look like the 49ers OL. That being said we need some talent brought in to do so...

I could very well see us bringing in OG Louis Vasquez from San Diego since he has ties to both Manusky and Hal Hunter who was the OL coach in 2012 there.

Then in the draft I want us to target either Chance Warmack if he falls to 15 overall and trade up a little to get him, or get another OG like Warford or Winters.

Having 2 great OGs would vastly improve our OL since Luck could not worry about the interior pocket colapsing, along with a much added boost to our running game. Our RT spot could be filled by either Reitz or Justice with Linkenbach providing depth.

Well if we want an online like the 49ers maybe we should invest their picks like they did . They have used three first round picks on their oline and t has paid off .

For RTs, I think the challenge is to find a guy who is a good fit, a good value, and as young as possible... or find a short term solution and draft for his replacement this year or next.  Below is a short list of guys I've seen thrown around on these threads, several of whom are likely to be re-signed by their team, or are going to be prohibitively expensive:  

Vollmer (6-8, 315, 28), Loadholt (6-8, 343, 36), Clady (6-6, 315, 25); Albert (6-5, 316, 27); Cherilus (6-7, 325, 28); Bushrod (6-5, 315, 28)

So I have an off the wall question... What about Eben Britton (6-6, 310, 24)? 

After the run of injuries he's suffered, his loss of the starting RT spot to rookie Brewster, and the amount he's been shuffled around on the Jags line this year as a result, he is a little bit of a hot mess and sure to be a very cheap option.  On the other hand, he was an early second round pick in '09 for a reason, is thought to be a tough and physical kid (only 24), who is, from what I've read on Jags sites, considered to be a very loyal teammate and very willing to do whatever has been asked of him.  Is there reason to grab him for cheap and see what the new OLine coaching staff can do to get him healthy and back on track? 

For RTs, I think the challenge is to find a guy who is a good fit, a good value, and as young as possible... or find a short term solution and draft for his replacement this year or next.  Below is a short list of guys I've seen thrown around on these threads, several of whom are likely to be re-signed by their team, or are going to be prohibitively expensive:  

Vollmer (6-8, 315, 28), Loadholt (6-8, 343, 36), Clady (6-6, 315, 25); Albert (6-5, 316, 27); Cherilus (6-7, 325, 28); Bushrod (6-5, 315, 28)

So I have an off the wall question... What about Eben Britton (6-6, 310, 24)? 

After the run of injuries he's suffered, his loss of the starting RT spot to rookie Brewster, and the amount he's been shuffled around on the Jags line this year as a result, he is a little bit of a hot mess and sure to be a very cheap option.  On the other hand, he was an early second round pick in '09 for a reason, is thought to be a tough and physical kid (only 24), who is, from what I've read on Jags sites, considered to be a very loyal teammate and very willing to do whatever has been asked of him.  Is there reason to grab him for cheap and see what the new OLine coaching staff can do to get him healthy and back on track? 

Eben Britton is a complete dumpster fire. Not sure why he name keeps popping up. Curse u Gavin......

Eben Britton is a complete dumpster fire. Not sure why he name keeps popping up. Curse u Gavin......

Hadn't seen his name come up in any of the threads/posts I've read.  Sorry.

However, I'd say someone who is a great teammate, is still very young, has talent but a history of being injured, and could be had for CHEAP... high potential upside, very little risk... that's the kind of guy I'd be on the lookout for if I were in Grigson's shoes.

eh he is an immediate upgrade over Justice, not elite by any stretch but an upgrade, Im more focused on our Guards and Center then I am RT

eh he is an immediate upgrade over Justice, not elite by any stretch but an upgrade, Im more focused on our Guards and Center then I am RT

Upgrade over justice? He was so good at tackle they moved him to guard where he was soon benched....and he makes bob sanders seem healthy

Hopefully Ben can return to OT despite high hopes we had for him past two years. Coopers an interesting draft pick but his history of too many penalties may costs the club more. Have concerns abouy the weight of Alabam's RT weight next best option is Alabama's center who's got experience at multiple positions.

Levitre may be the best FA option available to us.

It's too bad cause he showed promise

...and if the Colts get him for cheap, and he stinks it up as badly as you imagine... he can easily be cut before the season starts, and it costs nothing.  BUT, if they can grab him, and he can find a way to stay healthy... what if he then ends up being what everyone thought he'd be when he was drafted?

Hadn't seen his name come up in any of the threads/posts I've read.  Sorry.

However, I'd say someone who is a great teammate, is still very young, has talent but a history of being injured, and could be had for CHEAP... high potential upside, very little risk... that's the kind of guy I'd be on the lookout for if I were in Grigson's shoes.

My bad, I didn't read your last paragraph very thoroughly. I had just gotten tired of people mentioning britton as someone the colts could bring in and depend on.....which obviously u didn't do.

Along the same lines as my other "VALUE" options I'd like to see the Colts consider:

Ramon Foster - G - PIT - 26 - 6'-6" - 325 - has played both G positions

from Rotoworld:

Foster has started 31 games over the last two seasons, but he's unlikely to be a
priority for the Steelers. They took David DeCastro in the first round last year
and Willie Colon signed a five-year contract in 2011. "I want to go somewhere
where I'll be appreciated," Foster said. "I played a lot and started a lot. I'll
see where it goes when free agency opens up whether I get a contract or not."

Instead of one big ticket guy, I'd love to see the Colts bring in a handful of value options, and improve the whole monster.  In my dreams, they would try to haul in Schwartz and Foster at G, Cherilus at RT, and kick the tires with Britton in case there is something left there. 

Having 2 great OGs would vastly improve our OL since Luck could not worry about the interior pocket colapsing, along with a much added boost to our running game. Our RT spot could be filled by either Reitz or Justice with Linkenbach providing depth.

I think about every team in the league would like to have 49ers OL.

There will be a Bunch of players to look at in FAgency. There won`t be ANYONE that Grigs won`t study.

And many will be the next Satelle, McGlynn, Justice, Zibby. All VERY dumpable IMO.

A Huge contract to Mathis, and they paid Freeney $14M. Brandon King, Olson, Vaughn??

All the Options are available this time. Thank Goodness!

The scheme changes to fit the talent...or the talent changes to fit the scheme.

I would agree except that Man Blocking and Zone Blocking is quite a bit different and call for different styles of Lineman for each.  Just because you can block in Zone does not mean you will be able block in Man.

I would agree except that Man Blocking and Zone Blocking is quite a bit different and call for different styles of Lineman for each.  Just because you can block in Zone does not mean you will be able block in Man.

1st RD talent rarely cannot do something in terms of interior blocking...

Hopefully Ben can return to OT despite high hopes we had for him past two years. Coopers an interesting draft pick but his history of too many penalties may costs the club more. Have concerns abouy the weight of Alabam's RT weight next best option is Alabama's center who's got experience at multiple positions.

Levitre may be the best FA option available to us.

Agree that Levitre would be one of our best options in free agency.  The key to him is that he filled in pretty well for Buffalo at LT when their starter got hurt.  If Costonzo goes down, who do we have now to play LT without being a total disaster?  We found out what happens when you don't have a good backup at QB.  Do we really want to find out what it's like to not have a quality backup for our LT?

I'm assuming that we've made sure that our new OC is still going to run a mostly Man blocking scheme.  Somebody told me that he will institute some form of West Coast offense, which means a FB and one TE in the basic set.  If Cooper is there, he'll be tough to pass on in the 1st.  If they decide to go defense with the 1st, then I really like Larry Warford in the 2nd or 3rd (move up probably required).  In free agency I like Andy Levitre from Buffalo.  He has filled in at LT for Buffalo and played pretty well there.  We don't have much at that position if Costonzo gets hurt.  We need an upgrade at C unless Satele can get over the injury bug.  Options in the draft include Mario Benavides from Louisville as a late rounder or mid-rounders Brian Schwenke from Cal or David Quessenberry from San Jose St.  Not a banner draft year for centers, but there are still a few guys with NFL ability.