Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day (Colts Draft/Free Agency)

Indy resigns DT Fili Moala, LB Moise Fokou, CB Darius Butler, CB Jerraud Powers, WR Donnie Avery, and OTs Winston Justice and Joe Reitz all for cheap contracts. (They wont demand a lot on the open market plus they want to remain playing for this rising team and Coach Pagano.)

Free Agency...Indy signs

OG Louis Vasquez from the Chargers

NT Aubrayu Franklin from the Chargers

CB Mike Jenkins from the Cowboys

CB Keenan Lewis from the Steelers

2013 NFL Draft...

1st(21st overall)- Indy trades down to the early 2nd and gets a 2013 3rd, 4th in return.

-With the early 2nd rounder, Indy selects DT/DE Sharrif Floyd, Florida. (Gives us a young talented DLman to put alongside Moala and Redding at DE. He is currently listed at 6-3, 300 pounds, but can slim down to 290 to give him some more explosiveness from a pass rush standpoint. Our DL is what makes this defense run, and getting a talent like this always helps stopping the run and rushing the passer.)

3rd(via trade)- OG Larry Warford, Kentucky (Remember this is an early 3rd round pick, so Warford could last to this pick. This would great adding not only Vasquez, but now Warford at OG. Now we have 2 big mauling OGs who will finally give Luck the protection up front he needs. Not to mention we will have much better run blocking from the interior.)

3rd- OLB Sean Porter, Texas A&M (Fell due to his size and drop in production this year, but he would give us another talented pass rusher from the outside to share time with Jerry Hughes opposite Mathis.)

4th(via trade)- SS Bacarri Rambo, Georgia (Fell due to being suspended, but Pagano and Grigson brought in Vontae who had some issues, and I fully believe Pagano can get the best out of him and Rambo. Rambo may not start right away, but has the talent to do so by mid season or so.)

4th- NT Kwame Geathers, Georgia (He may return to school, but would be a good depth pick at NT.)

5th(comp for Garcon)- K Dustin Hopkins (Seems like a good college kicker, and Vinatieri needs replaced soon.)

All in all, I think this is a very good free agency and draft for our Colts. It solves pretty much all of our issues. The reason I dont have us get another WR, is because I see our TEs hopefully becoming increasingly used so we dont really need another WR.

We went offense last year, so this year in the draft we go mostly defense.

Dont know enough about Floyd to comment one way or the other. Rambo I have on many of my draft boards (not all but many). I will

take Brandon Jenkins or Okafor over Porter in the 3rd. Love the Geathers 5th round pick if we get it but I may like Joe Vellano (Maryland DE) before Geathers

Dont know enough about Floyd to comment one way or the other. Rambo I have on many of my draft boards (not all but many). I will

take Brandon Jenkins or Okafor over Porter in the 3rd. Love the Geathers 5th round pick if we get it but I may like Joe Vellano (Maryland DE) before Geathers

Okafor is a late 1st round pick

Nope. Texas Longhorns don't go High. Highest one last year was Keenan in the 4th. Byndom might be the highest this year if he comes out. Maybe 2nd rounder

mark my words. Vaccarro and Okafor are late 1st round picks lol. heck Vacarro is the top safety in the draft

Were the conditions of the sixth round pick for Davis met, is that pick gone for sure? Was it even conditional? If Chance Warmack is around still, something which could happen with a G, I'd stay and grab him in a heartbeat, not trade down.

Scouts doesn't grade Okafor very high, for what that's worth, with a 79 grade. Others have him rated as the #1 DE, so who knows. I like his size as compared to many others. But I think the Colts go OL. After the franchise QB and weapons in year one, I think they have to build the protection second.

Were the conditions of the sixth round pick for Davis met, is that pick gone for sure? Was it even conditional? If Chance Warmack is around still, something which could happen with a G, I'd stay and grab him in a heartbeat, not trade down.

Scouts doesn't grade Okafor very high, for what that's worth, with a 79 grade. Others have him rated as the #1 DE, so who knows. I like his size as compared to many others. But I think the Colts go OL. After the franchise QB and weapons in year one, I think they have to build the protection second.

Build the protection in FA. We need Defense!!!

I like it all except for Sharrif Floyd, he's not much of a standout on tape compared to Richardson, Jesse Williams. He just doesn't shed blocks as well. I'd much rather take a CB such as Rhodes or if that's not available at that point, or if Rhodes bombs the combine which I highly doubt, a franchise receiver like Justin Hunter. We could afford to go O with Justin Hunter if we did shore up O-line in Free Agency. Plus if we went Rhodes you can never have enough CBs, even with Jenkins and Lewis. Jenkins would be a nice fit but idk about Lewis. Steelers run more of a zone blitzing 3-4. I'd like to see Vontae with Jenkins and rotate Rhodes. Rhodes is a future shutdown corner to me. I'm gonna ramble but he has excellent footwork and great ball skills in air. He also has an amazing vertical (sorry I'm a CB so I just awe at his ability)

I like it all except for Sharrif Floyd, he's not much of a standout on tape compared to Richardson, Jesse Williams. He just doesn't shed blocks as well. I'd much rather take a CB such as Rhodes or if that's not available at that point, or if Rhodes bombs the combine which I highly doubt, a franchise receiver like Justin Hunter. We could afford to go O with Justin Hunter if we did shore up O-line in Free Agency. Plus if we went Rhodes you can never have enough CBs, even with Jenkins and Lewis. Jenkins would be a nice fit but idk about Lewis. Steelers run more of a zone blitzing 3-4. I'd like to see Vontae with Jenkins and rotate Rhodes. Rhodes is a future shutdown corner to me. I'm gonna ramble but he has excellent footwork and great ball skills in air. He also has an amazing vertical (sorry I'm a CB so I just awe at his ability)

I do like Rhodes too, but if we went with him, we dont need to spend money on Mike Jenkins then. I feel Jenkins will get a decent payday, so we can save money by going with Rhodes instead. To me, Rhodes could start day 1 opposite Davis with either Powers in the nickel or a free agent we bring in. We do need a good DL though is all Im saying. So as long as we sure up the NT spot, we should be ok there.

I do like Rhodes too, but if we went with him, we dont need to spend money on Mike Jenkins then. I feel Jenkins will get a decent payday, so we can save money by going with Rhodes instead. To me, Rhodes could start day 1 opposite Davis with either Powers in the nickel or a free agent we bring in. We do need a good DL though is all Im saying. So as long as we sure up the NT spot, we should be ok there.

I agree with you, the OP said Jenkins and that wouldn't be a nice pickup but I would much rather start Rhodes and sign a cheaper corner to play nickel and would keep powers for the dime. Our d-line will improve if our secondary improves but I would like to see a minor pick up or two but yeah I think me and you are on the same page. O yeah lol it would be nice to see us draft Reid from Valdosta St. formerly at FSU. He's a pretty good coverer and has great speed, he's only 5'8" but would be a good quick guy for the nickel down the road. He could be matched up against the Welker types in the future. We could use a comp pick on him say about the 6 or early 7th.

I'd be loving me some Richardson if we are in a position to take him.

Conditional, yes. No idea what conditions were, or if they were met or not.

I believe the Colts swapped 6th rounders with the Eagles in the Winston Justice deal too...

Well the Justice deal was for 2012 6th rounders, so that's done. Of course, Brazill was a compensatory pick, so the Eagles pick which went to the Colts in that swap was moved too, but where, I don't know. And the Eagles moved the pick from the Colts as well, complicating the search for the flow...

I have looked a little, and I can't find the real story on the rest of the Davis deal. Obviously it would be nice to have that 6th rounder in 2013 (I'm happy with Brazill, there is talent to be found even that late). Usually conditional picks involve things like playing time, starts, if the team makes the playoffs, those things. So if it was a number of starts condition, the Colts may well have the pick still. But I can't even confirm it was conditional.

I like what you are doing here, for the most part. I especially like the addition of Vasquez in FA...

I'd not double up on NTs in FA and the draft, because we will probably still have Mookie, Taveseu, and Chapman on the roster...

I'm not sold on Porter , but wouldn't mind seeing us pick up an OLB with that pick and maybe in the fourth as well...