Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning Off Pup List By Sept 3Rd

BlueRedZone

Figured that, if he stayed on the PUP he has to miss the first six weeks. So not shocked they plan to bring him off the PUP. Like I said in another thread about this, not bad news but not great news either.

Well one step at a time i guess. It could calm these people down calling in shows and saying he is out until November or some crazy talk...

If a guy is on pup he doesn't count against your number till you activate him. That's why the league has the six weeks rules to keep teams from stashing players there.

It's confusing, here's what I just read:

"A player has to be placed on Active PUP before training camp begins. That means this player can't practice with the team but he can work out off to the side and attend meetings. A player on Active PUP counts against the 80-man roster limit and can be removed from this list at any time during the preseason.

At the end of preseason, the team must decide whether to activate the player or put him on Reserve PUP. Players on Reserve PUP are are not eligible to play for the first six weeks of the season. Reserve PUP players do not count against the 53 man roster."

If that's true, I stand by my original point - there was no need to put Peyton on PUP.

"A player has to be placed on Active PUP before training camp begins. That means this player can't practice with the team but he can work out off to the side and attend meetings. A player on Active PUP counts against the 80-man roster limit and can be removed from this list at any time during the preseason.

At the end of preseason, the team must decide whether to activate the player or put him on Reserve PUP. Players on Reserve PUP are are not eligible to play for the first six weeks of the season. Reserve PUP players do not count against the 53 man roster."

If that's true, I stand by my original point - there was no need to put Peyton on PUP.

I think the word active means something in there. I just know we got an extra roster spot from both Manning and White being on PUP. You also can't put a guy on the PUP list to start the season unless he's there to start camp. Heaven forbid this had been really bad for Manning and couldn't go for six weeks we couldn't have gone back and add him to the PUP but we could always take him off it. It's the Colts keeping as many options open to them as they could.

let painter run things first 6 games, then pm comes in , wins 10 consecutive games and we make the playoffs... thats how the colts have done it the last few years....lol

The only problem Painter wouldn't be starting Collins would be. That's why they signed him. lol

Sorry.

It's just obvious to me that even if Manning wouldn't be ready until week 10, he'd still be taken off PUP "just in case" of a miracle.

Especially on this team, which has "floated" Marvin, Sanders, Dallas, etc when there was no real chance of them coming back from the injury.

Just seemed obvious to me.

So we could have an extra roster spot to look at players.

I don't think that is accurate. A few years ago when they took camp rosters to 80 from 85, I remember hearing something about PUP is not a way to stow away players while looking at others. They have to count against the camp #'s to prevent teams from using that as a temp IR. And it is clear that Manning and WHite both counted among the players in camp this year.

They used the PUP as a means to manage the roster once they get into the season. The PUP do not count against the 53 in-season so if a guy is too hurt to start practice in camp and return is uncertain, put in on PUP in case he has to start the season there. The other choices would be to carry a guy on the 53 or IR him. Just gives them flexibility.