Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

saints coaches allowed to attend saints game

jvan1973

the nfl has granted the suspended coaches and gm to watch drew brees break johnny u's record..

this leaves me "conflicted" Do I want him to hurry and do it, so they can go back to serving their penalties.... or do I want him to go in to a career long slump....???? :scratch::dunno:

I would put big money on him breaking it. they will force it. if they are first and goal on the one they will throw three times if they have too.. maybe four times

I agree, He's going to do it... but I don't have to be excited about it do I..??? :thinking::bored:

I would put big money on him breaking it. they will force it. if they are first and goal on the one they will throw three times if they have too.. maybe four times

I completely agree. The only reason Brees tied the record is because they had him throwing it an insane amount of times and even at points in games where the outcome was already decided, just to keep the streak alive.

Wow. That was a harsh punishment wasn't it? "You are suspended from games for a year and may have no contact with the players, but since there is a milestone coming up we will allow you to go to the game and talk to Drew beforehand."

:slaphead:

I don't think they can talk to drew pre game

Wow. That was a harsh punishment wasn't it? "You are suspended from games for a year and may have no contact with the players, but since there is a milestone coming up we will allow you to go to the game and talk to Drew beforehand."

:slaphead:

from what i have heard, he can attend the game but have no contact with Brees or any part of the team . . .not sure if it applies to after the game is over and to congratulate him . . . bottom line the suspension has to do with him staying away from the team and coaching them in any capacity . . . it is not a stay away order like a domesitic order we have here in the States . . . observing the game from a distance with no contact would not, IMO, violate the suspension . . . and even a handshake and "congrads" then leaving would not really violate it either . . .

I like the fact that the NFL is allowing this . . .

I completely agree. The only reason Brees tied the record is because they had him throwing it an insane amount of times and even at points in games where the outcome was already decided, just to keep the streak alive.

I hear ya and i can remember one game late in which he was throwing it a bunch inthe 4th qtr to get a catch . . . but then again all records are like this have games in which players get a "cheap" play to extend the streak . . . even with Jerry Rice consecutive catch streak there were a few games in which late in teh 4th he had no catch and the team threw him a bone with a short meaningless high percentage catch just to keep it going . . .

Well is it really going to hurt us at this point? They proved against GB (again) they don't have a clue on offense without Payton there to organize them.

A part of me wants Payton to attend this game and give Goodell the bird, but then another part of me believes this is going to be a huge distraction. We didn't deserve to lose our coach, but oh well, crap happens, that's life.

As much as I hated Meachem for his big dropped passes, I feel like he's going to have a huge game. Every Saints player in the past has come back and had an MVP career game against this team to the point it makes me want to cry my eyes out but then again Meachem was no Tracy Porter (gulp)

I think what I read was they can see him and congratulate him "after" the game if he breaks the record...???

You are right Gramz it is after the game. I guess my bias against Sean Payton is show through. I have a very strong dislike for anyone that crosses a picket line during a strike which he did and has admited it helped advance his career.

My point is that the NFL has made this a condition of his suspension and now that something has come up that involves a record breaking achievement he is allowed to go to the game and have contact with one of the players he was suspended from. It is either a suspension or not.

Irrational on my part I know. It is nice of the NFL to allow him to go, I just don't think they should have.

You are right Gramz it is after the game. I guess my bias against Sean Payton is show through. I have a very strong dislike for anyone that crosses a picket line during a strike which he did and has admited it helped advance his career.

My point is that the NFL has made this a condition of his suspension and now that something has come up that involves a record breaking achievement he is allowed to go to the game and have contact with one of the players he was suspended from. It is either a suspension or not.

Irrational on my part I know. It is nice of the NFL to allow him to go, I just don't think they should have.

When someone is in prison, usually for a non violent crime, sometimes they'll be granted a day pass to attend the funeral of a loved one or something like that. It's still a prison sentence, but there's some lenience there for extenuating circumstance.

I wonder what kind of security measures the NFL is going to take to make sure Payton can't contact any of the players or coaches inappropriately.

Speaking only as a football fan, not as a Colts fan..Brees can't really compare to Unitas

here's a look at the stats of each quarterback during their streaks, as compiled by the Elias Sports Bureau.

QB Comps Atts Yds TDs INTs Rating W-L Unitas 697 1,298 10,645 102 61 87.6 31-16 Brees 1,302 1,891 14,803 114 50 101.2 33-14

Unitas, for instance, averaged 27.6 attempts per game during his streak from 1957 to 1960. Brees has averaged nearly 50 percent more throws per game at 40.2 attempts. Unitas's stats for the amount of attempts is staggering, with only 12 less touchdowns in almost half of the attempts of Brees.

Just like Brady stayed in the games he didn't need to stay in, the year he broke Peyton's touchdown record, while Peyton sat an equivalent of 2 + games because the Colts were winning, Brees stayed in the game passing against the Colts when the game was in hand after halftime. and I know of a Thanksgiving game in which Peyton had 6 TD's by the 3rd quarter, that he could easily has 2-3 more, if the Colts wanted to rub it in.

The record books may say Brees and Brady, but we all know who really are the all-time leaders.

EDIT: sorry that the chart got messed up...

I don't agree with letting them go to the game. They were suspended, therefore let them stay home and watch it on TV. Then call him up and congradulate him in a conference call with the NFL listening in. JMO

Saw this on the Saints forum yesterday and I laughed so hard......

ROFL lmao lmao lmao

They might need to do that the more I think about it. As horrible as they have played without him there to yell at them, I don't know if he's really going to be able to control himself if they get out there and drop passes and not run a single toss or sweep play the entire game like last week.

When someone is in prison, usually for a non violent crime, sometimes they'll be granted a day pass to attend the funeral of a loved one or something like that. It's still a prison sentence, but there's some lenience there for extenuating circumstance.

I wonder what kind of security measures the NFL is going to take to make sure Payton can't contact any of the players or coaches inappropriately.

I once attended a funeral where the brother of the deceased was allowed to attend. But, he did so wearing handcuffs, his orange jumpsuit, and with three prison guards.

I'm with those who don't think he should be attending . . . but, if he does so wearing handcuffs, an orange jumpsuit, and with three guards . . . it may be rather entertaining to watch.

One of the announcers said "There's records, and then there are RECORDS."

And I could help but say to myself "And then there are 0-4 records."

Seems like a grandiose celebration for a season that seems so lost, but maybe I'm just being critical lol.

Well there we go

San Diego can push off, and they can hold our receivers no flags. Even the TD that Colston caught in the first quarter, he was being held, no flag. No flags from them helmet to helmet hitting Sproles either (but if we barely touch Rivers, flags everywhere)

But my god, Robert Meachem UGH. Why is it that every player we let go has a huge game against us?

I will add him to the list of Saints players average and great that came back and had a career game against them.

I'm not too impressed with San Diego myself. Letting Colston get open with not a man around him for at least 10 yards. But our defense is absolute crap compared to them. Can't stop anybody, why on earth is Shanle and Jenkins still on the team?

What happened to "we're going to run the ball more tonight" from Kromer? I swear he's a joke. Don't know why they didn't make Carmichael the head coach, Kromer belongs on the O-line staff, not head coach material.

We may be 0-4 and possibly 0-5 but I still love my team no matter what. Even with everyone criticizing them and calling us filthy names over the bounty *. You absolutely can't go anywhere without someone bringing that up, but I don't care anymore. Brees broke the record, and I'm happy for him but it don't take away that I still consider Unitas as the GOAT. The fact that record stood over 50 years in the ages where QB's put up video game numbers should show the world just how great he truly was, sadly no one even really remembers him anymore.