Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Guestimate On Roster Cut From 90 To 75

chad72

Yeah, it is time to trim the fat this Tuesday, from 90 to 75.

On offense (3 WRs cut because Gilreath and Brooks will be playing for 1 roster spot with more playing time, IMO):

1.Chad Spann, RB

2.Larrone Moore, WR

3.Joe Horn, WR

4.Marshall Williams, WR

5.Mike McNeil, TE

6.Casey Bender, OT

7.Josh Beekman, OG

8.Mike Hartline, QB

On defense:

1.Ollie Ogbu/John Gill, DT

2.Terrence Johnson, CB

3.Brandon King, CB

4.Chip Vaughn, S

5.Chris Colasanti, LB

6.Kerry Neal, LB

On special teams:

1.Travis Baltz, P

Thoughts??

Guest BlueShoe

I think it's easier to pick your final 53 than it is to pick the cuts but that's just me. I agree we are going to have some hard calls to make, the Dline is going to be really hard to cut down as is the WR spot.

I agree. The good news about the receivers is that we can put Gilreath and Brooks on the practice squad. Gilreath still has two years of eligibility and Brooks has one left.

I agree. The good news about the receivers is that we can put Gilreath and Brooks on the practice squad. Gilreath still has two years of eligibility and Brooks has one left.

I think Gilreath is going to make it as the punt returner. I think White is either going to stay on PUP or go to the IR.

I think it's easier to pick your final 53 than it is to pick the cuts but that's just me. I agree we are going to have some hard calls to make, the Dline is going to be really hard to cut down as is the WR spot.

I agree. There's probably 30 or so players that are locks. Tom James at CBSSports Rapid Reports gives his guesses at each position to get to 53.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/team/IND

I don't think Devon Moore makes the team, so we can add an extra DT.

Chad, your cuts will all happen eventually, although Ogbu hasn't played too bad.

Guest BlueShoe

I think Gilreath is going to make it as the punt returner. I think White is either going to stay on PUP or go to the IR.

He could. I clearly see him as being a part of the team but 50/50 as to whether he is on the 53 or practice squad.

I agree. There's probably 30 or so players that are locks. Tom James at CBSSports Rapid Reports gives his guesses at each position to get to 53.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/team/IND

I don't think Devon Moore makes the team, so we can add an extra DT.

Chad, your cuts will all happen eventually, although Ogbu hasn't played too bad.

I loved what Moore brought our team last year but so far he hasn't brought the same exploision he did last year. Frankly I liked the guy we had returning kicks last night. He also gives us a back up safety which we need more than another running back. There are jobs to be won that's for sure.

Hmm Evans has alot of potential... I'd hate to see him go to another team and tear stuff up 2-3 years down the road.

Another reason I don't think Moore makes the final roster.

If it were me, I would cut Brown and keep Addai, Carter, Evans, and James. We probably can keep four backs on the roster the Colts will probably keep Brown so James and Evans are probably fighting for one roster spot.

All I know is, there are few, if any, players on this defensive line I want to let go. We normally keep 10, right? I hope we keep 11 and slash somewhere else. Even our 3rd team wasn't too bad.

As for RB's, I think we'll end up keeping Brown. He does well when the line performs, and also catches good swing passes. He seems to have improved his pass blocking marginally, and I just don't see a coach cutting a 1st round player after 2 years behind a terrible offensive line. Addai, Brown, Carter, and either Evans or James will likely be our 4. Sadly, we won't get to see much from the talented Mr. Spann.

Gilreath and Lefeged are ballers. This FO just knows how to find talent among the unwanted. Lefeged was a guy I had hoped we would draft anyway, and the former may be shaping up to nab White's spot this season. If we have an injury, I actually feel comfortable with this kid in there. Is that crazy of me to say? I think both Gilreath and Lefeged make the team in some way.

All I know is, there are few, if any, players on this defensive line I want to let go. We normally keep 10, right? I hope we keep 11 and slash somewhere else. Even our 3rd team wasn't too bad.

As for RB's, I think we'll end up keeping Brown. He does well when the line performs, and also catches good swing passes. He seems to have improved his pass blocking marginally, and I just don't see a coach cutting a 1st round player after 2 years behind a terrible offensive line. Addai, Brown, Carter, and either Evans or James will likely be our 4. Sadly, we won't get to see much from the talented Mr. Spann.

Gilreath and Lefeged are ballers. This FO just knows how to find talent among the unwanted. Lefeged was a guy I had hoped we would draft anyway, and the former may be shaping up to nab White's spot this season. If we have an injury, I actually feel comfortable with this kid in there. Is that crazy of me to say? I think both Gilreath and Lefeged make the team in some way.

I think Javarris James makes it due to his goal line experience last year and his excellent ST play so far in pre-season. Besides, when given the chance to run the ball, he hasn't disappointed if the O-line does its job.

Even if we keep 10 on the D-line, the 11th one will be on the PS. I do not see more than 4 safeties. Since Lefeged is more of a backup strong safety with a bit to learn in coverage, IMO, and Mike Newton is more of a FS, I say Mike Newton makes it over David Caldwell (who was hit and miss yesterday).

But, can someone explain this. Bullitt is a liability in coverage (I have rarely seen him break early enough except in 2009, not since then since he has taken bad angles so many times I have lost count) and Bethea is the stud ballhawk, so why on earth do we use Bullitt as the single safety high in Cover 1, EVER? Bullitt should be the safety playing closer to the line of scrimmage, always, IMO, in Cover 1 formations.

Yeah, it is time to trim the fat this Tuesday, from 90 to 75.

On offense (3 WRs cut because Gilreath and Brooks will be playing for 1 roster spot with more playing time, IMO):

1.Chad Spann, RB

2.Larrone Moore, WR

3.Joe Horn, WR

4.Marshall Williams, WR

5.Mike McNeil, TE

6.Casey Bender, OT

7.Josh Beekman, OG

8.Mike Hartline, QB

On defense:

1.Ollie Ogbu/John Gill, DT

2.Terrence Johnson, CB

3.Brandon King, CB

4.Chip Vaughn, S

5.Chris Colasanti, LB

6.Kerry Neal, LB

On special teams:

1.Travis Baltz, P

Thoughts??

Chip Vaughn is Gone!

My Final 53 as of now

QBs: Manning, Collins, Painter (3)

RBs: Addai, Brown, Carter, James (4) I would love to put Evans here and take Brown off but I think the Colts will keep Brown.

WRs: Wayne, Garcon, Collie, Gonzo, Gilreath, Brooks (6) Blair White to IR

TE: Clark, Eldridge, Tamme (3)

OL: Castonzo, Link, Ijalana, Diem, Reitz, Saturday, Pollack, DeVan, McClendon (9)

DE: Freeney, Mathis, Anderson, Hughes, Brayton (5)

DT: Johnson, Foster, Moala, Harris, Matthews, Nevis (6)

LB: Simms, Angerer, Brackett, Conner, Wheeler (5)

CB: Powers, Lacey, Tryon, Thomas, Rucker (5)

S: Bullitt, Bethea, Caldwell, Lefeged (4)

K: Vinatieri (1)

P: McAfee (1)

LS: Snow (1)

I went heavy on WR due to the injuries to Gonzo, Collie and White. I would haved liked to keep Smith for his special teams play but it's pretty clear right now that Brooks is out playing him in WR play.

My Final 53 as of now

QBs: Manning, Collins, Painter (3)

RBs: Addai, Brown, Carter, James (4) I would love to put Evans here and take Brown off but I think the Colts will keep Brown.

WRs: Wayne, Garcon, Collie, Gonzo, Gilreath, Brooks (6) Blair White to IR

TE: Clark, Eldridge, Tamme (3)

OL: Castonzo, Link, Ijalana, Diem, Reitz, Saturday, Pollack, DeVan, McClendon (9)

DE: Freeney, Mathis, Anderson, Hughes, Brayton (5)

DT: Johnson, Foster, Moala, Harris, Matthews, Nevis (6)

LB: Simms, Angerer, Brackett, Conner, Wheeler (5)

CB: Powers, Lacey, Tryon, Thomas, Rucker (5)

S: Bullitt, Bethea, Caldwell, Lefeged (4)

K: Vinatieri (1)

P: McAfee (1)

LS: Snow (1)

I went heavy on WR due to the injuries to Gonzo, Collie and White. I would haved liked to keep Smith for his special teams play but it's pretty clear right now that Brooks is out playing him in WR play.

I think it will still be 5 WR with Gilreath making it due to ST return/WR dual capabilities (has been the norm for 5th WR recently). With Clark and Tamme healthy and knowing what they can do as receiving TEs, no need for extra receiving options. Adrian Moten makes the squad as pass coverage LB, the 6th LB. Mike Newton makes the squad as pass coverage safety over Caldwell, with Caldwell it will be 3 strong safeties and only 1 free safety, Mike Newton is a free safety and better in pass coverage.

I think it will still be 5 WR with Gilreath making it due to ST return/WR dual capabilities (has been the norm for 5th WR recently). With Clark and Tamme healthy and knowing what they can do as receiving TEs, no need for extra receiving options. Adrian Moten makes the squad as pass coverage LB, the 6th LB. Mike Newton makes the squad as pass coverage safety over Caldwell, with Caldwell it will be 3 strong safeties and only 1 free safety, Mike Newton is a free safety and better in pass coverage.

Last couple of years we kept four, White was added for week 2 after Gonzo went down so who knows.

I am telling you, Caldwell has been the one playing with th starters and not Newton, with the Colts that seems to matter. Also Caldwell had his name called on a lot of tackles last night. There could be room for both if we only keep five WRs or cut one of the linemen I had and we use Lefegod mostly as a kick returner.

Brooks at Wide out has also been playin with the starters, and playin well. Id also like to see Chick in at D-end... Does Hughes have any pass coverage skill at LB? itd be nice to get him somewhere that he might actually produce somethin. I know he most likley wont play LB unless its just as an added pass rusher, but just a thought.

Normally it only takes a couple weeks to bring guys back up from the prac squad with our injury problems. Especially at Wide out and DB