Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Question of the Day - 09/29

sb41champs

I'll "kick off" today's responses !!

With all due respect to Reggie - I have to think that the 2004 wideout corps who set NFL records - AND - helped Peyton Manning set the then-record NFL Passing TD record was the BEST in Indianapolis Colts history !!

Marvin Harrison - Reggie Wayne - Brandon Stokley !!

I'll give our current young wideout corps time to hone their NFL skills before offering any further opinion !!

Do YOU agree with Colts wideout Reggie Wayne's assessment that this is the finest group of wide receivers that the Colts have had since he joined the team in 2001 ??

I would agree there is more talent, yes. But the inexperience is obviously an issue. I simply can't put this group above the Wayne/Harrison combo.....add Clark to that mix because he wasn't a traditional TE at all.

Given time though, I believe this core will prove itself as the best Indy Colts WR core yet.

Didn't Reggie make that comment before Collie got the concussion? The 2004 group of Harrison, Wayne and Stokley was clearly better, but Reggie's comment doesn't seem crazy if a healthy Austin Collie is still part of the group. Also, I think he meant top to bottom. With Hilton, Brazill and Adams as your 4th, 5th and 6th best receivers, that's a pretty good group of receivers from top to bottom.

I would agree there is more talent, yes. But the inexperience is obviously an issue. I simply can't put this group above the Wayne/Harrison combo.....add Clark to that mix because he wasn't a traditional TE at all.

Given time though, I believe this core will prove itself as the best Indy Colts WR core yet.

We get into word hedging......

Is 'finest', the 'best' or the 'most gifted' or 'talented'

Beacsue you can make a very strong arguement (and win it) that including Hilton, Brazil and Avery and counting Fleener and Allen...

if the word is 'most gifted' or the group with the 'highest ceiling'

I think he's very much correct...

We get into word hedging......

Is 'finest', the 'best' or the 'most gifted' or 'talented'

Beacsue you can make a very strong arguement (and win it) that including Hilton, Brazil and Avery and counting Fleener and Allen...

if the word is 'most gifted' or the group with the 'highest ceiling'

I think he's very much correct...

Harrison was better than any two of these guys, not counting Reggie

Harrison was better than any two of these guys, not counting Reggie

Yeah this is where it gets kinda tricky. The dynamic of Wayne, Harrison and Clark trumps 2 Avery's, 2 Brazil's, and 2 Hilton's IMO.

That triple threat we enjoyed for all those years was epic, legendary. Let's not forget the boss, Mr "PM".

It's just that now we have many young fellas with apparently very high ceilings.

i think reggie is the expert and i would be inclined to believe him. harrison, wayne, stockley, and clark were great. seems like wayne, avery, hilton, brazil, allen, and fleener could be epic. week one wayne, week two avery, week three hilton, who is the next man up? i think luck will go in order, fantasy team pick up will be brazil. lol

Till we add another Hall of Fame WR I'll have to say no. The year Peyton threw 49 TDs we had two Hall of Fame WRs near the tops of their games and the best slot WR in football at that time in Stokley and oh yeah that Clark guy at tightend not to mention Edge able to come out of the backfield and catch passes. Right now I'd have to go with the 2004 crew.

I don't know exactly what Reggie meant when he said that, but to me it's really hard to say. Ostensibly it isn't a discussion, Wayne - Harrison - Stokley - Clark was a dynamic group of pass catchers, but it's also hard to know how much of their success was a byproduct of the greatness of Peyton Manning and the incredible degree of continuity they had over the years. This new corp of receivers are so unproven it's basically impossible to know at this point what we have. Fleener has 3 drops, but has shown flashes of that 4.4, 6'6" ability that had many projecting him into the 1st round of the draft this past season, and I personally LOVE Dwayne Allen, the guy just gets it and I think he will be a great one. I think people have expected more from Fleener solely based on the assumed chemistry he would have with Luck from their years in college... while I think this will prove true long term, we still have to appreciate that Fleener isn't playing in a familiar offense and is trying to adjust to NFL defenses, their chemistry needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

T. Y. Hilton has physical skills that we haven't seen from a guy in a while and his early success is very encouraging. I worry that as a small guy he will be fighting through injuries on and off for his whole career (much like Avery has so far), but obviously Marvin Harrison was in a similar mold and managed to stay remarkably healthy for the most part (had a couple serious injuries that caused him to miss time here and there). I know I'm getting a bit off topic, but my point is that this receiving corp certainly has that potential that we saw in 2004, but it likely won't be realized until they have at least a year together, and only if Luck proves to be another all-timer (you don't just walk into 49 TD seasons, even in this pass happy NFL).

BTW ... We still had Marcus Pollard on that 2004 team. He had 29 catches for 309 yards and 6 TD's. Clark had 25 catches for 423 yards and 5 TD's that year.

As much flak as Fleener has been catching early in this season he's still on pace for more yards than Clark had in that 2004 season, and that was his 2nd season too. People want Fleener to put up Jimmy Graham type numbers straight out the gate, that's crazy. Looking at Clark's stats, he didn't cross 500 yards or 10 TDs until his FIFTH season, that's not how most people remember it (including me to be honest).

It could have been one of the best if Collie was still able to play at his level..Reggie, Avery, Collie, Hilton are solid..still not sold yet on Brazill...but Adams seems for some reason to not be aggressive..the announcers in the last game called him out for not following through with his route. He's big, and talented, just looks to me like he needs more work than the others..

as for the TE's. though they haven't had a chance to show what they can do, are talented and will be very good as they keep developing.

Talent wise..yes..they are the best through and through...production wise..well..jury's still out on that.

I must give credit Wayne's,opinion, he has more insight on that matter as we fans do. I think our wideout corps is really talented, any of our healthy WRs poses TD danger (I believe all of them scored one), and may break records in upcoming years. They are Monster's offensive claws

This is the season of rebuilding, so I don't think it makes sense to compare our WR-set to 2004 year's set or any other.