Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Was Golden Tate wrong?

oldunclemark

I know that nobody cares about Seattle and even less care about Tate...since he left Notre Dame.

But I thought he was embarssing....

He shoves the Green bay defensive back....half grabs the TD pass to win..

Claims he did nothing wrong.

I dont mind a pro player stretching the rules to win....but I'd have apologized for it afterwards

He said he clearly caught the ball....and he didnt recall pushing anyone..

I thought it was shameful behavior inclduingb the post game....even for NFL players who know no shame..

It irks me in the same way that when receivers fail to maintain possession of the ball and it hits the ground. They then wrap the ball up, pop up and wave the ball in the ref's face and claim it was a catch.

Admittedly Powers did the same thing with his interception, but it still irks me.

At the end of the day its about winning, to admit he pushed off (obviously he did and the replacement refs blew it) would have admitted on national tv that he pushed off thereby publicly stating his team should not have won that game which obviously they should not have anyway but do you really expect him to admit that?

At the end of the day its about winning, to admit he pushed off (obviously he did and the replacement refs blew it) would have admitted on national tv that he pushed off thereby publicly stating his team should not have won that game which obviously they should not have anyway but do you really expect him to admit that?

Gavin I'd have admitted it.....because the evidence is on tape..and the game is over and the result is final

You cant keep lying when the tape shows you are lying...

..all that does is make you a known liar....that's all you accomplish from lying when the truth will do

see what I'm saying....?

It's one thing to get away with a win. It's another to go on record in front of a microphone and say that you knew you had the ball the entire time and definitely came down with it. Also saying that things "went so fast" you didn't notice that you had a full arm extension pass interference on Sheilds, when things like camera's and instantly replay exist.

It just makes you look like a fool along with the refs. A more appropriate comment would have been something to the effect of : "It got physical in the end zone, I gave him a shove but luckily no flag.... I went up for the ball, I fought for it and it could have went either way but the refs ruled it a touchdown so I was happy it went our way".

That is a good way to not sound like a dummy and still be glad the officials were horrible enough to totally blow 2 calls in succession.

Here's a thought...maybe he actually believes he had both hands on the ball? I'm not going to get into what my thoughts are on the catch, because more than likely a fire will be started, but I will say something similar to Gavin's comment. What do you expect him to say, especially in all the emotion of the moment? I've never seen a player admitting that he fumbled after the fact when it's a blown call, or that he didn't really catch the TD. No guy will admit that he was wrong, especially when it comes to calls and penalties that could end games.

It is called gamesmanship and I was fine with that. It is no different then a WR acting like he caught the ball when he traps it. Players are going to take every little inch they can and I do not blame them.

If we switched out the Seahawks for the Colts and Reggie did that we would all want Reggie to do it so we could win the game. If next week against the Packers Luck short arms a throw and Reggie traps it and comes up saying he caught it we will all be fine with it.

I mean this is not like that lame commercial where the basketball player says to his coach I touched it last even though the ref called it for them.

If we switched out the Seahawks for the Colts and Reggie did that we would all want Reggie to do it so we could win the game. If next week against the Packers Luck short arms a throw and Reggie traps it and comes up saying he caught it we will all be fine with it.

I wouldn't, I would think he's a lying snake. On the field, sure...ham it up, win a Emmy for his portrayal of 'guy whom didn't catch ball but says he did'. Off the field, after the fact, then he's just a lying liar.

You know who was embarrassing? Pete Carroll.

Everyone knew that was a controversial decision, but he handled it after the game with zero class.

My god is that man awkward for an NFL coach. What a cheesy fella. Absolutely disgraceful how they handled the situation. I give Tate credit for fighting like heck to try and win that ball......but his comments (as well as Carroll's) were just disingenuous.

After it's all said and done it's too late for anyone to change it. Why not be honest and forthright about it? It's like lying on your death bed and still refusing to admit you stole a cookie.

The good news is; Karma is always retro active. They'll get theirs, I hope.

We could have avoided having to hear about this nonsense in the national media if he would have simply said something along the lines of: "Yes, I pushed off. It happens in the speed of the game when you are competing. It is kind of an unconscious thing goes on and you don't always realize it. Fortunately for me and unfortunately Green Bay it wasn't called. I am not going to apologize for it....this is Football and this type of thing happens every play."

I actually don't have a problem with him saying (non verbatim)....I don't know what you are talking about. Why is there a need to admit it.....it was caught on camera plain as day.

We could have avoided having to hear about this nonsense in the national media if he would have simply said something along the lines of: "Yes, I pushed off. It happens in the speed of the game when you are competing. It is kind of an unconscious thing goes on and you don't always realize it. Fortunately for me and unfortunately Green Bay it wasn't called. I am not going to apologize for it....this is Football and this type of thing happens every play."

I actually don't have a problem with him saying (non verbatim)....I don't know what you are talking about. Why is there a need to admit it.....it was caught on camera plain as day.

I would have gone with the plausible denial tactic. "It all happened so fast. I was fighting for the ball and it's up to the refs to decide."

I would have gone with the plausible denial tactic. "It all happened so fast. I was fighting for the ball and it's up to the refs to decide."

Literally any response would have been better lmao

Because even though he took the "I don't know what your talking about" approach after the game, I heard he later back pedaled off that stance.

I'm not saying this is a PR killer or anything, but certainly not handled well.

I know that nobody cares about Seattle and even less care about Tate...since he left Notre Dame.

But I thought he was embarssing....

He shoves the Green bay defensive back....half grabs the TD pass to win..

Claims he did nothing wrong.

I dont mind a pro player stretching the rules to win....but I'd have apologized for it afterwards

He said he clearly caught the ball....and he didnt recall pushing anyone..

I thought it was shameful behavior inclduingb the post game....even for NFL players who know no shame..

I would of like a better response on the push . . . bottom line that kind of pushing happens all the time, on both sides of the ball . . . so a response like "pushing happens a lot on the Hail Mary passes"

As for him catching the ball, he well, lets just say, he caught the ball, contrary to the agenda of the anti-replacement refs crowd want to force fee you . . . Jenning was unsuccessful at ripping the ball away from Tate and he didn't make the play needed to make the pick . . . tate got a hand on the ball at the apex of the jump, thus got control (which can not be taken away less is ripped out of his hands), as he fell got a second hand on the ball and the two wrestled for the ball for bout three seconds on the ground (tho Jennings also has control of the ball at the apex of the jump and subsequent gain possession as they both fell is a fact but not dispostiive as tie goes to the offense) . . . its simultaneous catch 101 . . . and as such he has zero reason to say otherwise . . .I have no problem with him claiming that he made a great play because he did . . . the one that failed was Jennings . . .

I recorded the game but Im not at home till tomorrow, I cant wait to get in on this debate after I watch the play in slow motion, I will say Jennings was the first to get two hands on the ball but that does not make it a catch in the NFL unless both feet come down with posession, I remember seeing Jennings left leg up in the air as he was coming down(something I dont believe anyone has mentioned, analyst or fan), where both of Tates hands were I cant quite recall at that point.....I have seen the play several times but not in slow mo, regardless whether it was a catch or not Tate clearly pushed off

He did admit it. He said he didn't think he did it at the time, but when he saw the game tape it was undeniable:

"As far as pushing the defender, I was caught up in the moment, playing football. At that point, it was just like backyard football -- find a way to get the ball. I didn't intentionally try to shove him to the ground," he said, according to the newspaper.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8430723/seattle-seahawks-vs-green-bay-packers-golden-tate-now-admits-pushed-off

Errors like this are on the refs, not the players.

Re: Tate pushing off, NOBODY, even the regular officials, are going to call offensive PI on a last second Hail Mary unless you absolutely maul the guy. So I don't have a problem with that no call.

Re: the simultaneous possession call... We all had the benefit of seeing the play retrospectively many times and in slow motion. The replacement refs didn't. They had to make the judgement in an instant, and I can also see the regular refs making the same call in all the chaos. The thing about it, though, is that (as I understand it) the call of possession is not reviewable by tape.

So, I guess my point is, even though the end result was clearly not the right call, I think there's a good chance that the regular refs would have made the same exact call, and the end result may have been the same anyways.

My god is that man awkward for an NFL coach. What a cheesy fella. Absolutely disgraceful how they handled the situation. I give Tate credit for fighting like heck to try and win that ball......but his comments (as well as Carroll's) were just disingenuous.

After it's all said and done it's too late for anyone to change it. Why not be honest and forthright about it? It's like lying on your death bed and still refusing to admit you stole a cookie.

The good news is; Karma is always retro active. They'll get theirs, I hope.

exactly, ruk....

just say...."I did what I had to do to catch it....I dont want kids to play like that...it was wrong and I dont feel proud of it....

.....but its the NFL and they dont pay me for my feelings..just for my catches. "