Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh Chapman Listed on IR

HtownColt

Josh chapman is listed on IR on colts.com. This maybe because the coaching staff thinks he will be ready before the 6 weeks period he would have to wait if he would've stayed on the PUP list(just Justin Anderson listed there). And being that we can bring one player back off IR any time during the season he may be activated sooner than you think. I hope so

Josh chapman is listed on IR on colts.com. This maybe because the coaching staff thinks he will be ready before the 6 weeks period he would have to wait if he would've stayed on the PUP list. And being that we can bring one player back off IR any time during the season he may be activated sooner than you think. I hope so

I'm not sure I would view that so optimistically.

After taking a look myself, he's not showing up on IR or the PUP list.

I'm not sure I would view that so optimistically.

After taking a look myself, he's not showing up on IR or the PUP list.

Colts.com have him on the reserve/non football injury list, and on the colts official app they have him on Regular IR so my guess is that it's essentially the samething

Colts.com have him on the reserve/non football injury list, and on the colts official app they have him on Regular IR so my guess is that it's essentially the samething

I think the non-football injury list is more like the PUP(in terms of missing a # of games). If he were moved to the IR right now he would be done for the season an ineligible to return based on the new guidelines.

I think the non-football injury list is more like the PUP(in terms of missing a # of games). If he were moved to the IR right now he would be done for the season an ineligible to return based on the new guidelines.

You can bring one player back that's been put on IR any time during the season starting this year so he wouldn't be neccessarily be done for the season

Ok I got it now, the reserve/non football injury list is the same as the PUP list just a different name. After I read on the Jason Peters injury the eagles released: "LT Jason Peters was placed on the reserve/non-football injury list by the Eagles, meaning he will miss at least the first six weeks of the season as he recovers from an Achilles injury." so yea Chapman will miss the first 6 weeks.

You can bring one player back that's been put on IR any time during the season starting this year so he wouldn't be neccessarily be done for the season

That isn't exactly the case..

Following the cutdown to 53 players, the new Reserve/Injured rule will work as follows:

1. Only players with a “major injury” who are placed on Reserve/Injured after 4:00 p.m., New York time, on Tuesday, September 4, or thereafter during the season, will be eligible to be reactivated at a later time.

2. A “major injury” is defined as an injury that renders the player unable to practice or play football for at least six weeks (42 calendar days) from the date of injury.

3. Each team may reactivate only one player placed on Reserve/Injured after 4:00 p.m., New York time, on Tuesday, September 4. That player must be “designated for return” at the time the club places him on Reserve/Injured, and such designation shall appear on that day’s Personnel Notice.

4. Such player is eligible to return to practice if he has been on Reserve/Injured for at least six weeks from the date he is placed on Reserve. He is eligible to return to the Active List if he has been on Reserve/Injured for at least eight weeks from the date he is placed on Reserve.

Say if 2 player in week 1 have the same injury, where they both should be able to return after 8 weeks, the team has to choose one at the time they make the roster move. Say for example, player A is designated as the one that is set to return but his recovery is delayed they can't switch it over to player B who might heal quicker.

The point was, the guys on IR right are done for the season because they weren't added to the active 53 and then moved to IR Tuesday which is the guidelines for this season.

Ok I got it now, the reserve/non football injury list is the same as the PUP list just a different name. After I read on the Jason Peters injury the eagles released: "LT Jason Peters was placed on the reserve/non-football injury list by the Eagles, meaning he will miss at least the first six weeks of the season as he recovers from an Achilles injury." so yea Chapman will miss the first 6 weeks.

It is similar.... just not identical.

Chapman is on the nonfootball injury list since his injury predates his Colts employment even though it is related to a football injury.

If a guy busts up a knee playing basketball in the offseason then he goes on the nonfootball injury list as where if a player busts up his knee in a mini-camp then he would go on the PUP list.

It is similar.... just not identical.

Chapman is on the nonfootball injury list since his injury predates his Colts employment even though it is related to a football injury.

If a guy busts up a knee playing basketball in the offseason then he goes on the nonfootball injury list as where if a player busts up his knee in a mini-camp then he would go on the PUP list.

So why is Terrell Suggs on the PUP list and not the reserve/non football injury list..to me it's just two list that mean you are missing the first 6 weeks, they should just bind them together to avoid the confusion

Ok, so let's call the Colts official app, the unofficial app, since it's wrong...lol. I think their IT staff has been partying too much.

So why is Terrell Suggs on the PUP list and not the reserve/non football injury list..to me it's just two list that mean you are missing the first 6 weeks, they should just bind them together to avoid the confusion

It's up to the team choose. They chose to pay him. Under the CBA the Colts don't have to pay Chapman at this point. Whether they are or not, I'm not sure, but the Ravens have chosen to not withhold any money from Suggs.

The Ravens could have easily stuck Suggs on the NFI and not paid him for his time spent on it.

It's up to the team choose. They chose to pay him. Under the CBA the Colts don't have to pay Chapman at this point. Whether they are or not, I'm not sure, but the Ravens have chosen to not withhold any money from Suggs.

The Ravens could have easily stuck Suggs on the NFI and not paid him for his time spent on it.

Correct me if I am wrong, but he can work with the training staff, lift, etc. because he is on the PUP. If he is on non-football, can he do that?

Chapman better be good if they knew he was going to be out for a bit

Chapman and Anderson both are technically on PUP. Chapman had surgery and is designated as a non football related ingury since his original injury happened in college with the surgery done before he was drafted. Anderson's injury happened in a Colts camp so he is also on PUP but with a different classification than Chapman. I believe the Colts have to pay Anderson but not Chapman (though I believe Irsay is paying them both). Both players are eligible to and should be evaluated to come off PUP in 6 weeks. In a non related issue the NFL approved an exception for one player to come off IR during the season. This would not be related to Chapman and Anderson. As an example lets say the Colts lost Austin Collie to injury in week ten. The Colts could bring Griff Whalen off the IR as their one exception for the year to replace Collie.

In a non related issue the NFL approved an exception for one player to come off IR during the season. This would not be related to Chapman and Anderson. As an example lets say the Colts lost Austin Collie to injury in week ten. The Colts could bring Griff Whalen off the IR as their one exception for the year to replace Collie.

This is a bit inaccurate.

Whalen would have had to be returned to the active 53 man roster and then put on IR tomorrow , and be "Designated for return" at the time he is placed on IR.

NFL-NFLPA AGREE TO ADOPT BYLAW PROPOSALS

INVOLVING TRADE DEADLINE, INJURED RESERVE RULES

The NFL Management Council and NFL Players Association have agreed to adopt 2012 Bylaw Proposals No. 2 and No. 6A, the NFL and NFLPA announced today.

Bylaw proposal No. 2 moves the trading deadline from Tuesday, October 16 – the Tuesday after Week 6 of the regular season – to Tuesday, October 30, the Tuesday after Week 8.

Bylaw proposal No. 6A permits clubs to re-activate one player from Reserve/Injured during the 2012 season, subject to certain restrictions.

Since this rule is being adopted after the cutdown to 75 players, for 2012 only, the NFL and NFLPA have agreed to a transition procedure that permits clubs to return to their 53-player active list one player placed on Reserve/Injured since the start of preseason training camp. This selection of that player must be made no later than 9:00 p.m. ET tomorrow, Friday, August 31.

Following the cutdown to 53 players, the new Reserve/Injured rule will work as follows:

1. Only players with a “major injury” who are placed on Reserve/Injured after 4:00 p.m., New York time, on Tuesday, September 4, or thereafter during the season, will be eligible to be reactivated at a later time.

2. A “major injury” is defined as an injury that renders the player unable to practice or play football for at least six weeks (42 calendar days) from the date of injury.

3. Each team may reactivate only one player placed on Reserve/Injured after 4:00 p.m., New York time, on Tuesday, September 4. That player must be “designated for return” at the time the club places him on Reserve/Injured, and such designation shall appear on that day’s Personnel Notice.

4. Such player is eligible to return to practice if he has been on Reserve/Injured for at least six weeks from the date he is placed on Reserve. He is eligible to return to the Active List if he has been on Reserve/Injured for at least eight weeks from the date he is placed on Reserve.

For the players that are currently on IR, none of them were returned to the 53 man roster by last Friday, so they would be ineligible to return under the new rule/guideline.

The way I understand it is this, None of our players qualify because none of our players placed on the IR were placed there on or after September 4th (obviously because september 4th hasn't came and passed yet)

The way I understand it is this, None of our players qualify because none of our players placed on the IR were placed there on or after September 4th (obviously because september 4th hasn't came and passed yet)

So theoretically, we could place Chapman on IR after the 4th and reactivate him as soon as he's healthy, rather than having to wait until after week 6, with him on PUP?

So theoretically, we could place Chapman on IR after the 4th and reactivate him as soon as he's healthy, rather than having to wait until after week 6, with him on PUP?

Dont ask me Im not the IR genius here lol. I just read the rule and think that rule 1 applies the most in our situation at this time, I dont think any of our IR players can be returned based on that rule, I still see Chapman on the Reserve/non football injury list which means after week 6 he can return the way I understand it

This is a bit inaccurate.

Whalen would have had to be returned to the active 53 man roster and then put on IR tomorrow , and be "Designated for return" at the time he is placed on IR.

For the players that are currently on IR, none of them were returned to the 53 man roster by last Friday, so they would be ineligible to return under the new rule/guideline.

Had to be after final cuts and Sep 4th correct to comeback?

The best answer is yes and no. The team had the chance to reinstate one of the players currently on IR, Whalen for example. This had to be done by Friday's 53 man roster deadline. That wasn't done, so none of them will be able to return. If that would have happened, then they would go on IR tomorrow with the designation to return, again that didn't happen so the point is moot. Next year your statement would be 100% accurate unless they alter the rules in the offseason.

He would have to be designated for return, and then he would have to sit out 8 weeks. He can being practicing after 6 weeks.

Had to be after final cuts and Sep 4th correct to comeback?

Next year.... That would be accurate. This season they did allow for a player that was IR'd before they made the rule to be returned to the active roster and then IR'd with designation to return on the 4th. That didn't happen with any of the players that went on IR this preseason.