Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

HoFer Cortez Kennedy dies at 48.....

NewColtsFan

Didn't see this posted anywhere so I thought I would make it official here....

Former Seattle DT, Cortez Kennedy, a Hall of Fame player,  has died unexpectedly at age 48.

So far,   there are no reports of an illness like cancer,  or a suicide or foul play.     It's not known why he died.     I would expect authorities will do a full autopsy....

Here's your sad story.....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000810542/article/hall-of-famer-seahawks-great-cortez-kennedy-dead-at-48

Jeff Saturday spoke glowingly of Kennedy yesterday morning on ESPN,   and if you're too young to remember him,   think perhaps of Gerald McCoy of Tampa.    Strong, fast, quick,  relentless...

RIP Cortz Kennedy

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Didn't see this posted anywhere so I thought I would make it official here....

Former Seattle DT, Cortez Kennedy, a Hall of Fame player,  has died unexpectedly at age 48.

So far,   there are no reports of an illness like cancer,  or a suicide or foul play.     It's not known why he died.     I would expect authorities will do a full autopsy....

Here's your sad story.....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000810542/article/hall-of-famer-seahawks-great-cortez-kennedy-dead-at-48

Jeff Saturday spoke glowingly of Kennedy yesterday morning on ESPN,   and if you're too young to remember him,   think perhaps of Gerald McCoy of Tampa.    Strong, fast, quick,  relentless...

RIP Cortz Kennedy

Unfortunately, No Fortunately, we of advanced age remember Cortez.  Even if we remember him unfondly.  Had he been a Colt, he would be remembered as a favorite.

I hate to sound my age, but the day will come where the only players we remember (and this is especially an Indy problem) are the Mannings and the Harrisons.

It is an especially Indy problem that we forget defensive greats like Bob Sanders and Dwight Freeney.  Such is the greatness of Cortez.  Only the people of the Grunge movement will truly appreciate his greatness.

It's weird no one is reporting how he died, especially at such a young age. If it was cancer, you'd think the family would want to report it to promote awareness of the disease. 

Someone's covering something up. I'm not even sure if I should be sad yet; for all we know, he was peddling drugs and gunned down by a hitman.

Wow, this is shocking and really sad. 

Cortez Kennedy was a beast. An overlooked player, possibly because the Seattle teams he was on were so god awful. The 1992 Seahawks had one of the worst offenses in NFL history, even to the point of having Mark McGwire's brother at QB. The one decent player they had on offense back in the day was RB Chris Warren who always put up decent numbers.

If any of you played the Tecmo Super Bowl games on SNES, you may know what I'm talking about when I say Kennedy was one of the best pass rushers in those games. 

I'm sure old school Seattle fans probably imagine what it would've been like with him on their 2010 era teams with a much better defense. 

Happy he made the Hall of Fame but this sure is sad to see him go. 

This is just speculation on my part but it sounds similar to the way Reggie White died... complications from sleep apnea.  Big guys have trouble breathing while sleeping and if you are very muscle bound and the muscle starts to turn to flab (as happens when you get older) it makes matters even worse.  Then if you add in something like alcohol (not saying he did) or even just some night time cold medicine that sends your body into a deep sleep which prevents it from waking up when you stop breathing it can be deadly.

Thru my church I've known a couple of people that died because of sleep apnea and cold medicine.

On 5/24/2017 at 3:11 PM, ReMeDy said:

It's weird no one is reporting how he died, especially at such a young age. If it was cancer, you'd think the family would want to report it to promote awareness of the disease. 

Someone's covering something up. I'm not even sure if I should be sad yet; for all we know, he was peddling drugs and gunned down by a hitman.

Goodness gracious. :facepalm: